British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Visiting Kamloops April 09 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/visiting-kamloops-april-09-a-581690/)

Gaz67 Jan 4th 2009 11:20 am

Visiting Kamloops April 09

Hi there, just joined the site and due to visit Kamloops to visit family and to see how beautiful it is. We have never been to Canada before and are excited bout going for the first time.

After this trip we will then be deciding whether or not to move there the following year or so for good.

I will be moving over as a skilled worker along with my wife , daughter who will then be 13 and a new baby that is due this August. I am sitting here now filling in the application forms as a skilled worker from the CIC website.

Looking for any advice from expats who now reside in Kamloops and the surrounding areas how they are settling in etc...

I also would like to know how long it takes on average for the skilled worker process to take place

also

How to best go about applying for a temporary workers permit

Thanx in advance

Gary

christmasoompa Jan 4th 2009 11:31 am

Re: Visiting Kamloops April 09

Hi Gary and welcome to the forum. :)

I can't answer about Kamloops as I've never been there but if you do a search of the forum (top right) then you'll find plenty of threads discussing it.

But in answer to your question about SW visas, the application time has been drastically reduced now that the new system has been brought in so it would only take around 6-12 months which is great news for you (used to be 5-8 years!!).

As for a TWP, to apply for one you'd need to get a job offer and your potential employer would then need to apply for something called a LMO. To get this they'd need to prove to HRSDC that they'd advertised the job across Canada (usually for 3 months although in some cases the advertising time is reduced to 7 days depending on your occupation) and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job. Once you have the LMO and job offer then you could apply for your TWP. But the whole process would take around 6 months usually, so if you are eligible for a SW visa then that's definitely your best bet and it would also mean you would be a Permanent Resident straight away.

Hope that helps, good luck and enjoy your trip. :)

Gaz67 Jan 4th 2009 11:41 am

Thanx for the advice Christmasoompa,

Thats a massive reduction in the waiting time from all those years!!

As helpful as the CIC website is, it still is quite confusing forms etc wise, i have downloaded and printed out the forms i think should be filled in for Skilled Worker.

I am wondering when the best time would be to submit the forms?
ASAP i suppose , if it did say take 6 mths to clear , does that mean you have to move straight away or is there a certain length of time you have to go by??

once again thanx for the help ive only just found this website after looking at the possibility of us relocating to Canada and its the best one i've found by far.

Gary

christmasoompa Jan 4th 2009 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Gaz67 (Post 7125020)
Thanx for the advice Christmasoompa,

Thats a massive reduction in the waiting time from all those years!!

As helpful as the CIC website is, it still is quite confusing forms etc wise, i have downloaded and printed out the forms i think should be filled in for Skilled Worker.

I am wondering when the best time would be to submit the forms?
ASAP i suppose , if it did say take 6 mths to clear , does that mean you have to move straight away or is there a certain length of time you have to go by??

once again thanx for the help ive only just found this website after looking at the possibility of us relocating to Canada and its the best one i've found by far.

Gary

I would apply straight away - the list of 38 'occupations in demand' may well change as it's not set in stone so it's probably best to do it asap in case they change it and yours isn't included in the next version.

As for timings, you'd have a year from the date of medicals to 'land' in Canada, and then after you've done that you could return to the UK if you wanted. As long as you keep up your residency obligations after landing then you'd be fine. Have a read of the following Wiki article for more info............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Landing_as_PR-Canada

The Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) is well worth a read, it has loads of useful info for you.

Best of luck. :)

Gaz67 Jan 4th 2009 12:06 pm

Thanx more great info,

will get these forms done asap and send em off :)

Another question I have (I probably like everyone a list as long as my arm) is

Gaining a credit score in Canada, I was going to open an HSBC account from the UK in their Kamloops Branch, they wanted 100 quid for this, which i was reluctant to pay , preferring to open one when i go there. Is this easily done when inside Canada??

This was to start saving some money to establish a good credit rating or is it a case of gaining a letter from my current bank Halifax to present to potential Mortgage companies/Banks

Gary

christmasoompa Jan 4th 2009 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Gaz67 (Post 7125075)
Thanx more great info,

will get these forms done asap and send em off :)

Another question I have (I probably like everyone a list as long as my arm) is

Gaining a credit score in Canada, I was going to open an HSBC account from the UK in their Kamloops Branch, they wanted 100 quid for this, which i was reluctant to pay , preferring to open one when i go there. Is this easily done when inside Canada??

This was to start saving some money to establish a good credit rating or is it a case of gaining a letter from my current bank Halifax to present to potential Mortgage companies/Banks

Gary

Check out the Wiki I directed you to, click on 'Canada' and then once you get the list of sub-sections click on 'Banking Canada' which will give you all the info you need.

:)

Danny B Jan 4th 2009 3:07 pm

I don't know anything about the immigration process but I do live in Kamloops. If you have any specific questions, feel free to send me a PM (personal message).

Dan

Gaz67 Jan 4th 2009 7:08 pm

Cheers Dan , will probably have a thousand and one questions for you :)

hope long you lived there from have you settled well?

What area are you living there? my Uncle is in North Shore, been there for 3 years but in BC since 1951 , the whole area looks fantastic indeed

I will be looking for work when i get there if theres any contacts you can help with, i work as a functions manager for liverpool university , but workwise im up for the same work or anything new and exciting

Cheers
Gary