Victoria BC

Old Mar 3rd 2016, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

charlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Victoria BC

You won't get a 2 bedroom bungalow for $400, 000 in Victoria. You might get an apartment in some of the outlying areas, but the location wont be good. Average single family house sells for over $600,000.
You might have to look further up island to get what you're looking for.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

dj322 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,

I live in downtown Victoria in a condo. There are many many good food places to go for food/drink, it is a bit quiet (moved from West London) but you get used to it. The weather is similar to the UK, on the mild side. I live close to "Super InTent City", which reminds you how bad homelessness is in the downtown core and occasionally you will see people getting high or buying / selling drugs.

There are plenty of new developments going up especially condos in the downtown core. House prices are beginning to rise but not as crazy as Vancouver.

In terms of GPs I have struggled to register with one, but I end up going to the walk in clinics if I need it. Sometimes I have gone 30 mins before opening time and ended up waiting and listening to podcasts while I wait. I have been to the A&E (or ER) dept once before for a friend and the service was pretty good.

Being on the island, things do tend to seem a little more expensive (especially UK foods), but I put that down to island prices. The folk on the island are generally friendly and there are little reminders everywhere of the British influence, especially with some fish n chip places around and the UK style pubs such as Drakes or Barts.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 6:53 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
Few more questions.
1. Nanaimo or Victoria as a place to live?
2. Many mosquitos ?
3. Any issues with wildlife attacking people or pets ?
4. Any bugs to be concerned about?
5. Are groceries more expensive than on the mainland?
6. Nearest town in USA for day trip shopping?
7. Property taxes for house around $400,000
8. Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance
1. I've read a lot of negative stuff about Nanaimo on here over the years, best to come see for yourself, remember, there's a lot more to Nanaimo than the ugly highway! It's our 11th year here ... It's like anywhere else, good parts, crappy parts, some crime but prolly not much different than any other town of 100,000.
Most of my neighbors still leave their doors unlocked, kids bikes etc are strewn around the area, rarely much excitement in my hood!!

My daughter lives in Victoria, she loves it there & is constantly trying to convince us to move there ... Public transport is a lot better than here & there's waaaay more stuff for young people.

2. Quite a few but don't worry, they're all at my house!!!!

3. Rarely, we get cougar sightings & I've personally seen a couple of bears in 11 years ... Deer, on the other hand, are everywhere!!

4. Nope, cicadas are noisy but harmless.

5. Dunno.

6. Bellingham

7. I think Vic may be slightly better priced than here (not sure tho) ours is expensive 😡 but it depends where you are, Lantzville is 4K from where I live & its half the price!!

8. Lots!! 😉😄
Old Mar 5th 2016, 7:16 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananahammock
1. I've read a lot of negative stuff about Nanaimo on here over the years, best to come see for yourself, remember, there's a lot more to Nanaimo than the ugly highway! It's our 11th year here ... It's like anywhere else, good parts, crappy parts, some crime but prolly not much different than any other town of 100,000. Most of my neighbors still leave their doors unlocked, kids bikes etc are strewn around the area, rarely much excitement in my hood!! My daughter lives in Victoria, she loves it there & is constantly trying to convince us to move there ... Public transport is a lot better than here & there's waaaay more stuff for young people. 2. Quite a few but don't worry, they're all at my house!!!! 3. Rarely, we get cougar sightings & I've personally seen a couple of bears in 11 years ... Deer, on the other hand, are everywhere!! 4. Nope, cicadas are noisy but harmless. 5. Dunno. 6. Bellingham 7. I think Vic may be slightly better priced than here (not sure tho) ours is expensive 😡 but it depends where you are, Lantzville is 4K from where I live & its half the price!! 8. Lots!! 😉😄
Drive by shooting in Nanaimo yesterday afternoon. Then car chase all the way to Duncan where 2 men arrested! Most exciting thing on the Island for years. Mind you, the two arrested were both from the mainland.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all, will definitely take your comments on board
Old Mar 5th 2016, 11:12 pm
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Drive by shooting in Nanaimo yesterday afternoon. Then car chase all the way to Duncan where 2 men arrested! Most exciting thing on the Island for years. Mind you, the two arrested were both from the mainland.
Somebody in the Nanaimo area doesn't like mountain bikers.

Mountain bike trail sabotaged with wires and spikes in Nanaimo - British Columbia - CBC News
Old Mar 6th 2016, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

Location: After living in many countries have finally settled in beautiful Victoria and the roots have taken!!
Ringo999 is an unknown quantity at this point

We retired here 31/2 years ago after many years working and living overseas and have never looked back. We live in Cadboro Bay (with our 11 yr old) which has just about everything a person would need, pub, supermarket, Pharmacy with post office, Starbucks, vets, Thai and Japanese restaurants, Organic juice bar, Liquor store Garage, Doctors etc. A great playground and sports park also. About 15mins drive from Victoria centre with a regular bus if needed.To find a bungalow for the price you mentioned would be just about impossible in Cad Bay, some condo's in the village are available on a regular basis if that would fill your needs, otherwise you would need to investigate further out. We were told it is difficult to get registered with a doctor so we have always gone to a Walk-in Clinic - we have always used Up-Town clinic at Walmart and have always received great service.Hope this has been of use!
Old Mar 7th 2016, 12:31 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ringo999
. We were told it is difficult to get registered with a doctor so we have always gone to a Walk-in Clinic - we have always used Up-Town clinic at Walmart and have always received great service.Hope this has been of use!

This is one of those rare posts that completely shatters my impression of a place. I've been to Victoria and have always thought it pretty, genteel, respectable, too dull for my mum.

Now I imagine it to be populated by fat people with facial tattoos.