Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Victoria Area - Info Request

Victoria Area - Info Request

Old Mar 21st 2006, 12:25 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Victoria Area - Info Request

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
But as a current example of boom pricing:

How much?
Hmmm, but Bel Air sounds oh so very NICE....some dick with too much $ and a shrunken penis will buy it

Rich.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

happylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant future

We're not moving on permanently for a while, probably not until our children finish high school. But it never hurts to do some planning. It took us 10 years to move from the UK to Canada and in all that time we were researching and planning (and saving).

As for Calgary:

The whole family enjoys living here. Generally it's a clean city, business is booming, plenty of jobs, good schools (lots of choices), clean air, sunshine, great for kids etc, etc.

As I said we did plenty of research on Canadian cities before moving from London (UK). Based on the lifestyle we wanted and as well as the financial set up we wanted Calgary ticked the most boxes. We like Vancouver too but there's now way we could live in a similar house to what we have here and be only a mile or so away from the city centre.

But in the same way as Calgary was a downshift from London for us in terms of the rat-race, commute, both parents working etc, there may come a time when we want to downshift further hence the interest in Van Island especially if, as predicted, Calgary gets busier.

One has to remember that Calgary is the fastest growing city in North America and is starting to sprawl. As more people move here, the edge of the city gets further from the centre. The public transit is clean and reliable but can't keep pace with housing development. This means more cars on the roads etc. Which is good news for those who own houses closer to the centre as it causes prices rise at a faster rate as they become more desirable

The other downside to being in a booming city for many is the cost of housing. Prices in Calgary have gone crazy in the last year or so. e.g. We've had our house 18 months and, according to similar houses sold in our area recently, it's value has gone up by 60%. That's in CAD, if we were to move here now with the current CAD/GBP rate I doubt we'd even look at it because in GBP it's pretty much doubled in value :scared:

Things may steady out, and I hope so as it's unsustainable.

How much?

Okay, not an average house but even so that's a lot of cash.
Thanks a lot for the insight into life in Calgary. As you say, house prices are going up way too quick - one of the attractions originally for us in Cal was the relatively cheap house prices compared to Vancouver, but alas, everything changes.

Wow - 10 years planning before moving, that's dedication and determination for you.

Kind Regards
Old Mar 21st 2006, 11:50 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

But in the same way as Calgary was a downshift from London for us in terms of the rat-race, commute, both parents working etc, there may come a time when we want to downshift further hence the interest in Van Island especially if, as predicted, Calgary gets busier.
It might be worth noting that Victoria is getting bigger too... well more densely populated would be a better way of putting it; it can't really spread out any further. It's busier, noisier, scuzzier while at the same time more sanitized (not sure it time makes sense - it does to me), less friendly, less laid back, less quirky, less and less of what made it special. I realise my opinion might be irrelevent since my perspective on the place is entirely different than anyone coming from somewhere else but in all honesty Victoria is moving away fast from itself. Still, it's a great city. Same can be said for the rest of the Island (except for various mill towns that are going TU) but to a lesser degree.. well I suppose you could extent the 'getting busier' to the entire planet when you think about it.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 12:07 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

How much?

Okay, not an average house but even so that's a lot of cash.

And wouldn't you know it... the same amount of of dough can get you a 2 bedroom condo in Vancouver.

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.as...ertyID=4151280

Is does come with drapes though, so...
Old Mar 21st 2006, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by happylandings
Wow - 10 years planning before moving, that's dedication and determination for you.
I can't claim that. I'm married to a Canuck and I applied for PR before we were married and landed as such in Vancouver in 1994 (on our honeymoon - ahhh)

Anyway, due to one thing and another we didn't return to live permanently until 2004. However, in those intervening years we travelled once a year to see the in-laws in southern Ont and had some great hols there. (Lions Head, Bruce Peninsular, Tobermory, Flower Pot Island). In 2002 we headed west for our hols to the Rockies and realised what is was that we were looking for.

BTW I was in danger of losing my PR status, but around 2001 CIC changed the rules and allowed "living with a Canadian spouse abroad" to count as time spent in Canada. Woo-hoo, no re-application or medicals.