British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Viability of moving to Canada and accounting qualifications (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/viability-moving-canada-accounting-qualifications-928961/)

Cazsh Oct 30th 2019 8:27 pm

Viability of moving to Canada and accounting qualifications

I'm wondering which of AAT, CIMA, ACCA or ACA or some other accounting qualification would put me in better stead in terms of having a qualification that would be recognised there and hopefully mean sitting less exams and such once I'm there. (I'm Living in England, not sure if that's necessary to add though haha).

The idea I have currently is going via express entry. I have just finished my Banking and Finance degree, I'm trying to see whether I can find a bookkeeper position or something of the like to work in for a year (Because of the minimum one year work experience), while doing the AAT alongside that. (Planning on learning french too to help with express entry) After that year of work and qualifications, I would apply for express entry. I'm not sure how viable that is in terms of actually to get me there. I think that it is the quickest way I could come up with in terms of making the move to Canada happen on my own.

How does immigrating via a provincial nominee work? Would that be something that would help me, I'd be looking at Manitoba specifically

rivingtonpike Oct 31st 2019 4:15 am

Re: Viability of moving to Canada and accounting qualifications

If you’ve just graduated does that mean you’re young? In which case the student visa route would seem favourite

rivingtonpike Oct 31st 2019 4:16 am

IEC is the term I was searching for....

Cazsh Oct 31st 2019 10:36 am

I don't think just turning 26 counts as young sadly lol. Yeah I know it took a lot longer to get to this point then it should of.

bairn7 Oct 31st 2019 11:12 am

It does... :)

If you train to become a CA in the UK (ICAEW), there is a program in place to have this converted to a Canadian CPA upon the completion of the CPA Reciprocity Exam. This is the route I am currently following. It is a one-off exam and, once passed, you can call yourself a CPA and practice public accounting in Canada.

https://www.cpacanada.ca/en/become-a...g-canadian-cpa

dbd33 Oct 31st 2019 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by bairn7 (Post 12756979)
It does... :)

If you train to become a CA in the UK (ICAEW), there is a program in place to have this converted to a Canadian CPA upon the completion of the CPA Reciprocity Exam. This is the route I am currently following. It is a one-off exam and, once passed, you can call yourself a CPA and practice public accounting in Canada.

https://www.cpacanada.ca/en/become-a...g-canadian-cpa

30 is the end of youth for the purpose of the IEC. The OP is 26 now so a route to Canada might be:

2/3 years of accounting study, up to passing whatever interim exam there is or some similar benchmark
get IEC visa
get job in Canada as bright young keen accountant partially qualified and wishing to complete the course in Canada so as to refine expertise according to local conditions

Accounting in Manitoba may not be everyone's dream but it does have the advantage of being achievable.

Moses2013 Oct 31st 2019 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12757002)
30 is the end of youth for the purpose of the IEC. The OP is 26 now so a route to Canada might be:

Funny how different countries define youth. In Germany the Bundesbank is suggesting to raise retirement age to 69, so 26 would give you 43 years of work.
That's very young if you ask me:sarcasm:

Cazsh Oct 31st 2019 3:43 pm

Thank you for the replies!! At the very least you've made me feel young lol. bairn7 I'll probably pm you a bit about the route you're taking. dbd33 I'll look into this IEC thing a bit later on, I'm only slightly knowledgeable of the express entry route. Is the IEC the better way to go? I do plan on living and working there in the future.

dbd33 Oct 31st 2019 4:06 pm

I'll defer to one of the visa experts. My feeling is that, if you can get into the country and working, you'll be set; the route doesn't really matter.

Siouxie Oct 31st 2019 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Cazsh (Post 12757109)
Thank you for the replies!! At the very least you've made me feel young lol. bairn7 I'll probably pm you a bit about the route you're taking. dbd33 I'll look into this IEC thing a bit later on, I'm only slightly knowledgeable of the express entry route. Is the IEC the better way to go? I do plan on living and working there in the future.

Hello and welcome to BE! :welcome:

We ask that you don't ask other members about Immigration matters by private message as everyone's situation is different and it's easy to be given incorrect information (with the best of intentions - we can all make mistakes) which could cost you dearly! Just post any questions you might have to our Immigration forum and there will be lots of advice given :)

An International Experience Canada working holiday work permit is a 2 year work permit allowing you to gain Canadian Experience (opening up a route for that) and potentially increasing your Express Entry points.

If you are hoping to apply as an Accounting Technician for Express Entry, you will (as you are aware) need at least 1 year of working in that position for it to count. You could perhaps do an online course to help you once you get to Canada. Did you specifically want to be an accountant / accounting technician (you will be in competition with Canadian Graduates) or are you open to doing anything related to your degree?

:)

Cazsh Oct 31st 2019 5:33 pm

Apologies Siouxie I am open to doing anything related to my degree. Preferably whatever would be the easiest and or quickest route there.

Siouxie Oct 31st 2019 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Cazsh (Post 12757160)
Apologies Siouxie I am open to doing anything related to my degree. Preferably whatever would be the easiest and or quickest route there.

No apology necessary :D

What is your passion / what part of the banking and finance degree did you enjoy the most? What would you like to do as a job, given a choice - were you thinking of banking as a career or something else entirely? Finance covers a lot of basics - including insurances and investments.

Lots of opportunities for working in banks at all different levels.. so perhaps something to think about... :)

https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/jobsearch/....submit=Search

Cazsh Oct 31st 2019 8:22 pm

I'll pm you about it. Siouxie

Dorothy Oct 31st 2019 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Cazsh (Post 12757254)
I'll pm you about it. Siouxie

As stated above, do not ask immigration questions via PM. If you have a question then that's what the forum is for. Ask your question and the members who have experience and knowledge will answer. If you're looking for one-on-one advice that's what immigration consultants/lawyers are for.

Siouxie Oct 31st 2019 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12757321)
As stated above, do not ask immigration questions via PM. If you have a question then that's what the forum is for. Ask your question and the members who have experience and knowledge will answer. If you're looking for one-on-one advice that's what immigration consultants/lawyers are for.

It wasn't about Immigration, it was something that the OP preferred not to say on the thread for everyone and their dog to read. Thanks anyway :)