Very Weird !!

Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all
Default Very Weird !!

I don't know if this ever happened to anyone, but it seems it does happen, I withdrew some cash from RBC cash machine a week ago, and today while paying with that cash in a shop, the cashier told me the 20 is fake :scared: , I thought she was wrong, but after she called supervisor he said this is fake, we can't give it back to you !!! oh my god I said it can't be fake its from the bank, they said they are sorry can't do anything, and after arguing for a while I convinced them to give it back, and straight away went to RBC, I thought they won't believe me in the first place, but to my surprise they said ok, will give you another one !!! oh my God I am still at shock !!!

Last edited by Ibraheem; Jan 9th 2007 at 7:33 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very Weird !!

Originally Posted by Ibraheem
I don't know if this ever happened to anyone, but it seems it does happen, I withdrew some cash from RBC cash machine a week ago, and today while paying with that cash in a shop, the cashier told me the 20 is fake :scared: , I thought she was wrong, but after she called supervisor he said this is fake, we can't give it back to you !!! oh my god I said it can't be fake its from the bank, they said they are sorry can't do anything, and after arguing for a while I convinced them to give it back, and straight away went to RBC, I thought they won't believe me in the first place, but to my surprise they said ok, will give you refund !!! oh my God I am still at shock !!!
I don't think that's uncommon. I've had the guy in the kebab shop scan and refuse my money quite often. That means pizza for lunch as the pizza place doesn't have a scanner.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 8:18 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

That's why you use the interact card for everything
Old Jan 9th 2007, 8:30 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Weird indeed, a canadian bank giving away money!!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if this ever happened to anyone, but it seems it does happen, I withdrew some cash from RBC cash machine a week ago, and today while paying with that cash in a shop, the cashier told me the 20 is fake :scared: , I thought she was wrong, but after she called supervisor he said this is fake, we can't give it back to you !!! oh my god I said it can't be fake its from the bank, they said they are sorry can't do anything, and after arguing for a while I convinced them to give it back, and straight away went to RBC, I thought they won't believe me in the first place, but to my surprise they said ok, will give you another one !!! oh my God I am still at shock !!!
You are lucky.

First, if you get stuck with a bogus bill you are supposed to give it to the bank who will give it to the RCMP. You get nothing. Of course you could always try to pawn it off by buying something but it may be illegal if you knew it was a dud. Never in my life have I heard of a bank refunding bogus bills even if they originated from their ATM

Last edited by montreal mike; Jan 10th 2007 at 12:15 am.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 1:54 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

For heavens sake! It was only $20 and you got it back. What's all the shock and awe about? I would have lit a cigar (preferably Cuban) with the dud bill and dined out on the anecdote.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

I think it was quite impressive that the bank gave you the money back since they had no proof that the original $20 bill came from their ATM.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 2:20 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Interested
I think it was quite impressive that the bank gave you the money back since they had no proof that the original $20 bill came from their ATM.
Me too. I'm going to my bank tomorrow. I'm gonna give it go.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 2:31 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Me too. I'm going to my bank tomorrow. I'm gonna give it go.
I just ran off several counterfeit $20s. I'll try the bank tomorrow.... damned ATMS.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Ibraheem .. this might explain it all

“The bank doesn’t reimburse consumers for counterfeit money,” Elliot said.

If you can prove the bill came from a bank, you might get reimbursed. Otherwise, you’ll have to absorb the loss. Even keeping the fake bill as a memento is against the law: the penalty for holding a counterfeit bill is up to 14 years in prison.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/f...t/pageone.html
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
For heavens sake! It was only $20 and you got it back. What's all the shock and awe about? I would have lit a cigar (preferably Cuban) with the dud bill and dined out on the anecdote.
I was not in shock for the $20, I did not want or expect to get it back but the shock comes from the fact that it came from the bank, assuming this is a rare mistake but the bigger shock is that they exchanged it !! and it appeared that its not rare !!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Ibraheem .. this might explain it all

“The bank doesn’t reimburse consumers for counterfeit money,” Elliot said.

If you can prove the bill came from a bank, you might get reimbursed. Otherwise, you’ll have to absorb the loss. Even keeping the fake bill as a memento is against the law: the penalty for holding a counterfeit bill is up to 14 years in prison.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/f...t/pageone.html
Thanks mike for the info, but how on earth can I prove that the bill came from the bank? and how can I trust withdrawing money again? what really looked weird is when I first explained the situation to the receptionist she looked familiar with the problem, she just said ok don't worry, it will be exchanged, and then at the till they asked me few questions about when did you withdrew and where and thats it! if they are familiar with that it means it happens a lot, which is really horrible.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks mike for the info, but how on earth can I prove that the bill came from the bank? and how can I trust withdrawing money again? what really looked weird is when I first explained the situation to the receptionist she looked familiar with the problem, she just said ok don't worry, it will be exchanged, and then at the till they asked me few questions about when did you withdrew and where and thats it! if they are familiar with that it means it happens a lot, which is really horrible.
My only explanation is that they know you and thus take your word for it. (It's not as if you had your very own printing press in the basement )

Myself I have been lucky, never having been stuck with bogus bill. But I absolutely refuse to take fifties so I avoid ATMs that spit them out. It is not that there are more bogus fifties than twenties but why lose more money than I need to in the event I do get a dud? I try as much as possible to avoid cash. I am now over sixty so there are no bank charges on my account. One of the perks of getting old I guess? I can use interac as often as I wish. And I do.

As for banks doing more rigorous checking, why bother? If they check their bills prior to placing them in their ATMs and they find a dud then they lose. If Joe Bloe gets stuck he may be the one losing out as the banks can so NO to him because I doubt they are legally obligated.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You must get your cash too easily Novocastrian. I too would have been mortified to find myself $20 worse off than I thought I was and like the OP even more surprised to find the bank so accomodating.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 6:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepnek
You must get your cash too easily Novocastrian.
Well, given the amount of time I waste on here, what else can I say than, "It's a fair cop, Guv"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.