Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Very useful book for would-be emigrants

Very useful book for would-be emigrants

Old Sep 8th 2009, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of
Default Very useful book for would-be emigrants

Hi folks,

I hope I've posted this in the right forum.

For anyone who's got questions about all aspects of living and working in Canada - accommodation, climate, salaries, holidays, health, education, the law - I can heartily recommend this recently-published book. Should become the Canadian emigrants' Bible!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Work-Ca...2433502&sr=8-1

Cheers.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Very useful book for would-be emigrants

I had an older version of this book. It is an ok starting point. A little rose-tinted, and doesn't really cover anything in the detail that you would want. Internet searches and this forum will probably get you much further.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bodgerx
I had an older version of this book. It is an ok starting point. A little rose-tinted, and doesn't really cover anything in the detail that you would want. Internet searches and this forum will probably get you much further.
How old, Bodgerx? The copy I have was published this year and lists no 'previous edition' history.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MartianTom
How old, Bodgerx? The copy I have was published this year and lists no 'previous edition' history.
Dunno, a few years old.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It says on the Amazon link you gave that it's the 5th edition - plus there is a link to a previous copy on that page. It's definitely been around for a while, I got it out of the library last year.

The problem with any book about emigrating is that as soon as it's printed, it's out of date. Things like visas, immigration law, or just something as mundane as flight info, change so rapidly that a book becomes filled with out of date info very quickly. When I read it, there was loads of stuff that was wrong in it!
Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It says on the Amazon link you gave that it's the 5th edition - plus there is a link to a previous copy on that page. It's definitely been around for a while, I got it out of the library last year.

The problem with any book about emigrating is that as soon as it's printed, it's out of date. Things like visas, immigration law, or just something as mundane as flight info, change so rapidly that a book becomes filled with out of date info very quickly. When I read it, there was loads of stuff that was wrong in it!
Yeah.... point taken. Looking through it, I can see there is a bit of a 'rose-tinted' feel. Some of the case histories are interesting, though - and one of them even mentions the usefulness of BE! People are probably better off staying here for the best and most up-to-date advice.

Sorry... just ignore me
Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah.... point taken. Looking through it, I can see there is a bit of a 'rose-tinted' feel. Some of the case histories are interesting, though - and one of them even mentions the usefulness of BE! People are probably better off staying here for the best and most up-to-date advice.

Sorry... just ignore me
Its nice to have a book to look at as well as the internet, something a bit more real about it when its in your hands, we have the prv copy of this and several others, still read them from time to time,
Old Sep 10th 2009, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Yep we had one 3 years ago too - good starting point.

There is also one about the different streams of visa's - no doubt it will have had to be amended due to all the changes but that was amazing too
Old Sep 10th 2009, 6:01 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry... just ignore me
Its difficult to ignore you........................

what with you being green and all.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

anna b is an unknown quantity at this point

i bought this book yesterday in waterstones and looking forward to reading it.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Its difficult to ignore you........................

what with you being green and all.

Didn't think my politics were that evident!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 9:21 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks,

I hope I've posted this in the right forum.

For anyone who's got questions about all aspects of living and working in Canada - accommodation, climate, salaries, holidays, health, education, the law - I can heartily recommend this recently-published book. Should become the Canadian emigrants' Bible!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Work-Ca...2433502&sr=8-1

Cheers.

I have a book very similar to this one called Living and Working in Canada by Graeme Chesters.

I kept renting it from the libary back in Blighty, until I got a free copy off the company that Neil got the job with.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Upupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really nice

I picked up this book last weekend and its pretty good. Probably is full of info that you can get on here but a book is sometimes so much more user friendly as it's not so easy to slump in to the couch with a PC!!
Old Sep 11th 2009, 12:45 am
Just Joined

fn-expat is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are going to BC, a free publication from the BC Government called BC Newcomers Guide to Resources and Services can also be useful. It can be downloaded from

http://www.welcomebc.ca/en/service_p...resources.html

This publication was updated earlier this year (2009)
Old Sep 11th 2009, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Upupandaway
I picked up this book last weekend and its pretty good. Probably is full of info that you can get on here but a book is sometimes so much more user friendly as it's not so easy to slump in to the couch with a PC!!
unless you have wifi and a lap top. xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.