Reload this Page >

Very exciting post about Tax

Very exciting post about Tax

Old Jun 14th 2005, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Jameso is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Very exciting post about Tax

Hello,

I cannot find anything about this in the archives. When you leave England permenantly to immigrate to Canada forever. What happens to all the tax you have paid in the UK. I am leaving as a 30yr old. Do I get to claim a UK pension when I am 65? do I get my NI contributions back? Do I get any tax back? do I get some of the tax back on the year to date?

Thanks in advance, its a bit boring I know, but I am wandering what other peoples experience is and also,, I need as much money as I can get my grubby little hands on!

Thanks in advance, jameso
Old Jun 14th 2005, 12:42 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very exciting post about Tax

Originally Posted by Jameso
Hello,

I cannot find anything about this in the archives. When you leave England permenantly to immigrate to Canada forever. What happens to all the tax you have paid in the UK. I am leaving as a 30yr old. Do I get to claim a UK pension when I am 65? do I get my NI contributions back? Do I get any tax back? do I get some of the tax back on the year to date?

Thanks in advance, its a bit boring I know, but I am wandering what other peoples experience is and also,, I need as much money as I can get my grubby little hands on!

Things may have changes since I left but in brief...

Yes, but its pro rated to what you paid in, and its not index linked to inflation, so basically worthless.

No.

See next answer

IIRC Yes, I think so.

Once you give money to the government they arent renowned for giving it back, so dont get your hopes up for a nice nest egg. Sorry!
Old Jun 14th 2005, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

debsmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jameso
Hello,

The tax office go me to fill out an I85 form (I think, you can download them from the Inland Revenue website) which basically lets them know you're not resident in the UK anymore and if you've been paying pro-rated tax so far this tax year, you may qualify for a rebate at the end of this tax year.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Your pension is indexed to inflation - until you get it. That means that when you apply at age 65 you will a certain amount a month or every three months and after that it will not go up. That is because the UK government is too cheap (although it would not cost all that much) to give raises to people who move to Australia, Canada, S. Africa - but if you move to the States or Spain or lots of other places, they will. I can only assume that this is just a cost saving measure on the part of the UK government because you would think that the UK has actually more connection with the countries that don't get raises because they were originally part of the British Commonwealth.

People are fighting the UK government but they may be fighting years from now!!