Reload this Page >

Very early-stage questions

Very early-stage questions

Old May 20th 2009, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

Willower will become famous soon enoughWillower will become famous soon enough
Default Very early-stage questions

Hi all,
First off, thanks in advance for any replies (there's nothing like a bit of ingratiating!).
I'm very early into considering a move to Canada - and just looking for a bit of advice as to how I can find a job relevant to my current line of work/experience.

I work in educational publishing, and I imagine the Canadian job market isn't exactly crying out for British editors. With that in mind, I'm looking at Bunac Canada as a non-student, with the possible aim of teaching English (I have a CELTA Tefl qualification) or doing some low-paid work experiencey type editing.

So my questions are:
Does that plan sound at all feasible? Is there any niche for native English teachers in Canada?

My other possible plans include the FCO or going to another country to teach English (but I'm not sure how this route could bring me back to an English-speaking country like Canada). Then there's always publishers with offices in UK and Canada, but that seems like a circuitous route

Sorry for the ramble - I have lots of ideas and questions floating around, but not much that's in any way solid!

EDIT: I haven't got any particular location preferences as yet, but I imagine I am looking to move to a city / larger town, as I'll be by myself and need opportunities to meet people

Last edited by Willower; May 20th 2009 at 12:36 pm. Reason: Looked through the posting guidelines and I'd missed this out.
Old May 20th 2009, 2:31 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very early-stage questions

Originally Posted by Willower
Hi all,
First off, thanks in advance for any replies (there's nothing like a bit of ingratiating!).
I'm very early into considering a move to Canada - and just looking for a bit of advice as to how I can find a job relevant to my current line of work/experience.

I work in educational publishing, and I imagine the Canadian job market isn't exactly crying out for British editors. With that in mind, I'm looking at Bunac Canada as a non-student, with the possible aim of teaching English (I have a CELTA Tefl qualification) or doing some low-paid work experiencey type editing.

So my questions are:
Does that plan sound at all feasible? Is there any niche for native English teachers in Canada?

My other possible plans include the FCO or going to another country to teach English (but I'm not sure how this route could bring me back to an English-speaking country like Canada). Then there's always publishers with offices in UK and Canada, but that seems like a circuitous route

Sorry for the ramble - I have lots of ideas and questions floating around, but not much that's in any way solid!

EDIT: I haven't got any particular location preferences as yet, but I imagine I am looking to move to a city / larger town, as I'll be by myself and need opportunities to meet people
Yes

Canada has its own Native English Speakers, as well as Native 'French' Speakers and English and French speaking Natives.
To put it another way are you trying to distinguish between those english speakers born in the UK and those born in Canada?
If so this raises three points
a) check your (possible) feelings of superiority at the door
b) I have HEARD that many ESL\EFL schools aboard actually feel that the Canadian accent is easier to understand.
c) you have no canadian experience so please refer back to a.
Old May 20th 2009, 2:47 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Bearing Butch's reality check in mind - there is of course plenty of TEFL going on in Canada's big cities. I'd probably winnow out your 'big towns' possibilities as they're not really the same as similar in the UK.

Have you checked out Berlitz? A friend of the OH has been working for them for years now in Montreal.
Old May 20th 2009, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Yes

Canada has its own Native English Speakers, as well as Native 'French' Speakers and English and French speaking Natives.
To put it another way are you trying to distinguish between those english speakers born in the UK and those born in Canada?
If so this raises three points
a) check your (possible) feelings of superiority at the door
b) I have HEARD that many ESL\EFL schools aboard actually feel that
Hi, sorry - my wording was unclear - I was trying to use 'native' as meaning 'British English' as I absolutely understand that many/most Canadians are native English speakers!
I have no feelings of superiority whatsoever - I wanted to establish whether there was a call for British English teachers - I can't imagine a particular demand for them myself, as yes, it makes a lot more sense for non-English speakers in Canada to be learning a Canadian accent - but I figured it was worth a punt!
Old May 20th 2009, 3:51 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, sorry - my wording was unclear - I was trying to use 'native' as meaning 'British English' as I absolutely understand that many/most Canadians are native English speakers!
I have no feelings of superiority whatsoever - I wanted to establish whether there was a call for British English teachers - I can't imagine a particular demand for them myself, as yes, it makes a lot more sense for non-English speakers in Canada to be learning a Canadian accent - but I figured it was worth a punt!
Its not really a case of learning the accent as much as the canadian accent (supposedly) being easier to understand than the (majority of) UK accents.

You are of course aware that as a BUNAC Visa holder you can do any job? A friend of mine actually got a company transfer on his BUNAC and was Distribution Manager at Coke in Calgary. I say this only because dependent on your skills and experience you could more than likely be looking into your field of expertise
Old May 20th 2009, 4:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to establish whether there was a call for British English teachers
My (canadian) wife was a ESL teacher here pre kids...your suspicions are correct, in North America (and Japan) a North American accent is usually prefered, but having said that there is probably enough demand in the larger cities that you should find something.

Outside the big cities, not so much choice of schools

Back when she stopped there was a move afoot to regulate the teachers through provincial certification, but Im not sure what came of that....it could be you need the local membership to have the best chance of landing a job...

In ontairo it was "TESL Ontario" who wanted to run the show...

Last edited by iaink; May 20th 2009 at 4:05 pm.
Old May 20th 2009, 4:01 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Its not really a case of learning the accent as much as the canadian accent (supposedly) being easier to understand than the (majority of) UK accents.

You are of course aware that as a BUNAC Visa holder you can do any job? A friend of mine actually got a company transfer on his BUNAC and was Distribution Manager at Coke in Calgary. I say this only because dependent on your skills and experience you could more than likely be looking into your field of expertise
What Canadian accent would that be? Acadian? Ottawa Valley? Anywhere in Quebec? Newfoundland? Jean Chretien?
Old May 20th 2009, 4:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Its nothing to do with ease of understanding really...most ESL students start from scratch anyway. Its entirely to do with giving the punters what they want, and in Canada they would mostly want to end up sounding North American rather than old world.
Old May 20th 2009, 4:14 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Souvenir
What Canadian accent would that be? Acadian? Ottawa Valley? Anywhere in Quebec? Newfoundland? Jean Chretien?
Originally Posted by iaink
Its nothing to do with ease of understanding really...most ESL students start from scratch anyway. Its entirely to do with giving the punters what they want, and in Canada they would mostly want to end up sounding North American rather than old world.
Hey, just quoting what I was told by both ESL teachers and the directors of an ESL school.
Old May 21st 2009, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies - I think I'll try to concentrate my search on publishing jobs (I'm a little annoyed with myself for choosing a field of work in the first place that is never going to appear on an 'in-demand' list!), and put TEFL/TESOL plans on a back-burner. Now I just need to find a Canadian publisher that needs someone to 'translate' their educational books into British English, and I have my perfect job!

One final question - Can the Bunac non-student visa start at any point in the year, or is there a specific start/intake date? I can't seem to find this info on their site, although that might be due to rubbish searching skills.
Old May 21st 2009, 12:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

One final question - Can the Bunac non-student visa start at any point in the year, or is there a specific start/intake date? I can't seem to find this info on their site, although that might be due to rubbish searching skills.
My limited understanding is that there are a limited number available that are released one, maybe two times a year and get snapped up pretty quick.

If I was a betting man I would say there is more concrete info about them in either the wiki or to be found by searching the immigration area...and if you cant find it then ask a question about it in immigration.

Dont give up all hope of an ESL job...there are probably more of them available than publishing jobs I would guess...
Old May 21st 2009, 12:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Working_Holiday_Visas