Reload this Page >

Vehicle insurance for Ontario non-residents

Vehicle insurance for Ontario non-residents

Old Nov 16th 2018, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

ace7866 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vehicle insurance for Ontario non-residents

Hey guys,

Ive moved to Ontario this year from the UK, not yet a PR, but soon to be.

I have an IDP (international driving permit) i got from the UK allowing me to drive over here upto a year.

I need to get insured on my wifes car, but alot of these insurance providers want you to have a full Ontario license,

does anyone know any insurance companies who are willing to insure a driver on a foreign license?

Having a hard time trying to find a company who does this,

Any help will be appreciated

thanks

Last edited by ace7866; Nov 16th 2018 at 5:08 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2018, 5:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vehicle insurance for Ontario non-residents

Originally Posted by ace7866

I have an IDP (international driving permit) i got from the UK allowing me to drive over here for longer then the standard 90 days allowed.
I don't think you did. I think the IDP is just a translation of driving license. I think it's a necessary thing if your license is in a language other than English or French but of no significance if your license is in one of those languages. I think the insurance companies take the same view I do and, while there might be one willing to cover a driver on a British license for 90 days, none will look at insuring someone once the 90 days is up.

Your salvation though is that, unless your wife has a remarkable car or a remarkable insurance policy, the policy covers any driver operating the vehicle with the permission of the owner. Thus, while you may be dragged away in chains for driving without a license, you are unlikely to also be charged with not having insurance.
Old Nov 16th 2018, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you have to take out on Ontario drivers license within a certain period if you are a PR?

When is that going to happen?

You must be on some sort of permit to live in Ontario now. Why not see if you can exchange your British drivers license now?
Old Nov 16th 2018, 6:39 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Drivers license exchange in ON is 60 days, not 90.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange...rivers-licence

The IDP rule is for visitors, not residents. You say you moved to ON, so if you are a resident an IDP is not relevant. If you have applied for PR and are not going back to the UK any time soon, it would appear you are a resident. In some circumstance, even here with a visitor permit, you may be considered a resident.

I have found insurers will find any excuse for not paying out, driving without a valid drivers license may be one of those instances.

If it were me I would want a written confirmation from licensing that what I was doing was correct.

Last edited by Aviator; Nov 16th 2018 at 8:06 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2018, 7:18 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

Ive moved to Ontario this year from the UK, not yet a PR, but soon to be.

I have an IDP (international driving permit) i got from the UK allowing me to drive over here upto a year.

I need to get insured on my wifes car, but alot of these insurance providers want you to have a full Ontario license,

does anyone know any insurance companies who are willing to insure a driver on a foreign license?

Having a hard time trying to find a company who does this,

Any help will be appreciated

thanks

What exactly is your status? Are you here as a visitor with just a stamp in your passport or were you able to get a Visitor Record as suggested to you? Did you apply as an Inland Applicant for Spousal PR or Outland? If Inland, did you apply for an open work permit? When was the application submitted for PR - and at what point are you in the process?

I'd refer you to your earlier post and the answers contained within with regards to obtaining an Ontario Drivers License. If you were to get the Visitor Record or Work permit, for instance, you could exchange your license. Can I get a Canadian driving license even though I’m not a resident

As to obtaining insurance, without an Ontario Drivers License and with a spousal application for PR in place I suspect your wife would have difficulty in saying you are an occasional driver of her vehicle (normally reserved for people not residing at the same address). I'd suggest you don't drive her vehicle as you probably won't be covered under her insurance.. you could just rent a vehicle if you need to use one, perhaps.

I very much doubt if you will be able to find any insurer who would insure you as a named/listed driver on her vehicle insurance until such time as you have some form of status and an Ontario License.

Sorry

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 16th 2018 at 7:29 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2018, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

ace7866 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Siouxie
What exactly is your status? Are you here as a visitor with just a stamp in your passport or were you able to get a Visitor Record as suggested to you? Did you apply as an Inland Applicant for Spousal PR or Outland? If Inland, did you apply for an open work permit? When was the application submitted for PR - and at what point are you in the process?

I'd refer you to your earlier post and the answers contained within with regards to obtaining an Ontario Drivers License. If you were to get the Visitor Record or Work permit, for instance, you could exchange your license.

As to obtaining insurance, without an Ontario Drivers License and with a spousal application for PR in place I suspect your wife would have difficulty in saying you are an occasional driver of her vehicle (normally reserved for people not residing at the same address). I'd suggest you don't drive her vehicle as you probably won't be covered under her insurance.. you could just rent a vehicle if you need to use one, perhaps.

I very much doubt if you will be able to find any insurer who would insure you as a named/listed driver on her vehicle insurance until such time as you have some form of status and an Ontario License.

Sorry
It just a stamp in my passport right now, the application for PR was Outland, so no work permit allowed, it was only put in last month, so still waiting,

Ive spoken to Service Canada who told me i should be able to exchange my UK license for an Ontario one, but would mean surrendering my UK license, and when i go back to the UK, i would need to use my Ontario license to drive there as a visitor -

Apparently no tests required too if i'm able to obtain a "Certificate of Entitlement to Drive" from DVLA - i've spoken to them and they will be sending this out by post to my Canada address. So once i get this, i can head over to my closest Canada Drive Center to surrender my Uk license and get my Ontario license, it seems pretty straight forward, i hope its as easy as that when i get there...

Thanks to everyone for their help so far...
Old Nov 17th 2018, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

It just a stamp in my passport right now, the application for PR was Outland, so no work permit allowed, it was only put in last month, so still waiting,

Ive spoken to Service Canada who told me i should be able to exchange my UK license for an Ontario one, but would mean surrendering my UK license, and when i go back to the UK, i would need to use my Ontario license to drive there as a visitor -

Apparently no tests required too if i'm able to obtain a "Certificate of Entitlement to Drive" from DVLA - i've spoken to them and they will be sending this out by post to my Canada address. So once i get this, i can head over to my closest Canada Drive Center to surrender my Uk license and get my Ontario license, it seems pretty straight forward, i hope its as easy as that when i get there...

Have you discovered the wiki section. Loads here on Ontario licence exchange with official links. It is a bit more than just rocking up with your UK licence (but not too much more).

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Driver...Canada#Ontario
Old Nov 17th 2018, 9:15 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Ive spoken to Service Canada who told me i should be able to exchange my UK license for an Ontario one, but would mean surrendering my UK license, and when i go back to the UK, i would need to use my Ontario license to drive there as a visitor.
Same as everyone one else from Canada. I have not had a valid UK license for years, but drive in the UK without issue on a BC license, nothing from DVLA. I believe it is still not legal to drive in the UK on a UK license if you are not resident there.

you seem to be making this way more complicated than it needs to be.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 2:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If you have only just put in for PR then you'll be waiting anything up to another 11 months - it's not a quick process.

As to the exchange, I'd suggest you read the many links you have been given for exchanging your UK license to an Ontario one.

However, I believe you will find that without ANY status other than visitor you will struggle to exchange your license as Service Canada will require you to have at minimum a Visitor Record or a work permit. Some of our members have attempted this before and have got nowhere, but maybe you will get lucky. Don't be too surprised if they don't allow it.

I'd suggest reading the documentary requirements for NON Citizens: https://drivetest.ca/licences/id-documents.html
ONE or more of these:
Canadian Permanent Resident Card with signature
Record of Landing1 (Form IMM 1000)
Confirmation of Permanent Resident Form (IMM 5292) accompanied by a valid passport from country of origin
Student Authorization/Study Permit (IMM 1442)
Employment Authorization/Work Permit (IMM 1442)
Visitor Record (IMM 1442)
Temporary Resident’s Permit (IMM 1442) (formerly Minister's Permit/Extension of Minister’s Permit)
https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange...ence#section-3

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 18th 2018 at 2:33 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 2:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Before we became PRs we applied to change our New Jersey DL...we were refused. We were told to obtain a Visitor Record...we did and had no problem obtaining an Ontario DL.