Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vegetarian and Quorn

Vegetarian and Quorn

Old Feb 10th 2010, 4:23 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vegetarian and Quorn

Originally Posted by lmartin999

I really miss Waitrose. Not just the quality and choice, but the whole way they do business.
Sorry to say that as someone who worked for a company that supplied Waitrose I have to say that this make a mockery of your argument.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 5:45 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Bells here - nope not been able to find Quorn here or in the states, or a decent veggie sausage/ burger / chunk I may add!

Whilst people may mock veggies for eating a "meat" substitute may be we should look at the ways meals ave been prepared for so long and therefore indoctrinated - meat and 2 veg, roast at the weekends!

Anway, hubby and I are veggie, kids arent, sometimes its nice to be able to make a diinner we can all eat that the kids dont find offensively veggie!! Such as "Chicken" pie, cottage pie, toad in the hole - hence the quorn and Lindas come in handy!
My mum smuggles em over !
and Hell I admit I miss bacon! (leave it Butch!!)
Old Feb 10th 2010, 5:47 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

just to add - looks like its available stateside now!! http://www.quorn.com/
Old Feb 10th 2010, 6:01 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon

and Hell I admit I miss bacon! (leave it Butch!!)
There are many things I could leave, but Bacon is NOT one of them,

Damn you woman I need a bacon, sausage and egg bap now
Old Feb 10th 2010, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

watching Dogwoof's Oscar® Nominated documentary Food, Inc
could turn us all into veggies
Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:58 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Bit unfair. There can be many reasons for not eating meat. Since moving back here I am aware of how much harder it is to find free range, ethically raised meat. It does exist, but is not available to the same extent as in the UK - and free range eggs are a real challenge. Organic is around, but I'm more of a Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall chap and tend to be more concerned about the farming practices. Although I am far from being vegetarian I could envisage giving up meat for these reasons - in which case I would want a meat substitute as I like it. I don't eat bananas anymore either as there are no free trade to be easily had. Luckily I found a black market egg supplier for proper free range from hens that actually get to go outside. I'm really not obsessive about these things, and it was nice in the UK to be able to easily exercise some choice in regular supermarkets.

Cheap seems to be the dominant thing in Canadian supermarkets rather than quality or ethical concerns. How many chopper, basic, no frills, piles of crap shops does one country need?

I really miss Waitrose. Not just the quality and choice, but the whole way they do business.
I see your point, and concerns over how meat gets to the plate was one of the reasons I was a vegetarian for 15 years.

Not eating real meat but eating meat substitutes just endorses the idea that eating meat is ok and this seems an odd thing for a vegetarian to do. The same with eating fish but not meat.

Still if people want to do it, it's no skin off my nose. I just find it odd when you can cook burgers, shepherds pie, sausage type things with grains and veggies.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Lemons has a brilliant futureLemons has a brilliant futureLemons has a brilliant futureLemons has a brilliant futureLemons has a brilliant futureLemons has a brilliant futureLemons has a brilliant future

As well as Quorn, I wish I could buy Morningstar products - they are only available in the US. Their veggie bacon used to be available in the UK (I think they got into trouble for using GM soy and stopped importing them). Their bacon is great. And their sausage patties... corn dogs...

Actually, it's a good job they aren't for sale in Canada, I'd be fat as a pig!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 1:56 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I see your point, and concerns over how meat gets to the plate was one of the reasons I was a vegetarian for 15 years.

Not eating real meat but eating meat substitutes just endorses the idea that eating meat is ok and this seems an odd thing for a vegetarian to do. The same with eating fish but not meat.

Still if people want to do it, it's no skin off my nose. I just find it odd when you can cook burgers, shepherds pie, sausage type things with grains and veggies.
But not everyone is vegetarian for ethical reasons.

It was suggested after my first bypass surgery, that I consider becoming vegetarian.

Had I done so it likely would have been using "burgers, shepherds pie, sausage type things with grains and veggies" as you put it.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 3:45 pm
half a century

I make burgers etc with grains, veg - portabelo mush etc for me and hubby - kids give em a wide berth!! ,
Old Feb 10th 2010, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

They sound nice
Old Feb 10th 2010, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

basildog will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by joinerboy
They sound nice
We are in Calgary and I have found that Superstore and Safeway have a great range of meat free products including mince.

Safeway has loads of veggie recipes on its web site.

My hubby the veggie in the household seems to be ok.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 5:32 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fledermaus

So are you still a vegetarian?
If no, then I would suggest it's you that failed, rather than the person who stuck to their principals and still doesnt eat meat.
Just my opinion, like.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 7:47 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jericho
So are you still a vegetarian?
If no, then I would suggest it's you that failed, rather than the person who stuck to their principals and still doesnt eat meat.
Just my opinion, like.
No I'm not a vegetarian any more. I didn't abandon any principles either.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 8:57 pm
Account Closed

Jazzflute is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cookie
You can buy Quorn products and tofu at our local Atlantic Superstore (rural NS) so I am surprised its not available in larger towns and cities in other provinces

http://www.atlanticsuperstore.ca/LCL...questid=459828
I seriously cannot stress how happy I am to hear this! Thanks for the link
Old Feb 10th 2010, 10:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jazzflute
I seriously cannot stress how happy I am to hear this! Thanks for the link
I'm not seeing Quorn on that list. Note also that that retailer makes heavy use of GM grains.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.