Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Vancouver's Olympics head for disaster" - Guardian

"Vancouver's Olympics head for disaster" - Guardian

Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:27 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Vancouver's Olympics head for disaster" - Guardian

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
And yet, the Vancouver School board is operating with a deficit. Something has to give, no?
Yes it does. The School Board will get a modest increase to its budget. It will lay off a few tens of teachers that it should never have hired in the first place (though it will subsequently re-hire them for September). In the meantime we all wonder at a system that allows elected officials to spend money they know they don't have in the hope they can embarrass the government into bailing them out.

Something like that anyway.

If the writer of the article was a real journalist he should have researched the numbers and known that there was no connection between the facts he was quoting and the case he was trying to make. In other words he would have been deliberately misleading his readers. However, as others have pointed out above, he is not a real journalist but a looney sub-political ranter so best ignored.

<message to self - take my own advice>

The latest numbers* I can find on the cost of the Olympics are:

VANOC will break-even on the operating costs of the games.

The City of Vancouver will likely break-even or even make a modest profit on the Olympic village.

The province has increased its funding from $600m to $785m - almost all as a result of the increase in its share of the security budget, and it claims that the majority of its increased spending is of a capital nature and will remain in the province.

In return for its investment the province has seen an increase in economic activity of $4bn. If I have time I will try and find a source for how much the government gets to keep of each $1 of increased economic activity. If it is less than 20% (the rate required to recoup the $785m investment) then the naysayers may have a point. I doubt it.

The province will introduce an austerity budget nest month. It will not be alone in the world in this respect. I have not read a credible commentator suggest that the budget will be more austere than it would have been without the economic boost of the games.

* numbers not independently verified, and some from politicians, so obviously need to be considered in context.

Last edited by JonboyE; Feb 1st 2010 at 7:29 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:15 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The province has increased its funding from $600m to $785m - almost all as a result of the increase in its share of the security budget, and it claims that the majority of its increased spending is of a capital nature and will remain in the province.
That's just the kind of smoke and mirrors I expect to see. It's a capital project - so lets keep it off the end balance sheet.

The convention centre, the sea to sky etc, yes the province gets to keep them, but that doesn't mean you can discount them when adding up the costs.

I saw on TV that $59,000,000 had been spent on laptops for vanoc officials; I can't find a link on the web but it was on global bc news a week or so ago. $59M? That's 59,000 laptops even assuming high end ones. I can't see any justification for that at all; but I guess the laptops will stay in the province so that's $59M we don't have to notch up as a cost of the games.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:59 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
That's just the kind of smoke and mirrors I expect to see. It's a capital project - so lets keep it off the end balance sheet.
Actually, if it is a capital project it would stay on the balance sheet. Its the revenues and expenses that don't belong there.

The convention centre, the sea to sky etc, yes the province gets to keep them, but that doesn't mean you can discount them when adding up the costs.
You can. It just depends on the point you are trying to prove. Capital budgets and operating budgets are two different things and are not, and should not, be evaluated in the same way.

Is it spending or is it investment?

Take the VSB. If they need to build a new school are they supposed to go into a massive deficit in the year and lay off all the teachers? Or should they recognize a part of the cost over the years that the school is used?

I saw on TV that $59,000,000 had been spent on laptops for vanoc officials; I can't find a link on the web but it was on global bc news a week or so ago. $59M? That's 59,000 laptops even assuming high end ones. I can't see any justification for that at all; but I guess the laptops will stay in the province so that's $59M we don't have to notch up as a cost of the games.
That is just the kind of BS that gets Ms. Ima Ginstit* of Kerrisdale all in a lather. Laptops are provided to Vanoc from Acer who are an Olympic partner. I also think you are a zero out on the number of laptops. The original estimate was 5,200 though Acer are now claiming they provided 6,500 "pieces of computing equipment".

http://www.acer.com/olympic_games/eng/worldwide.html

Last edited by JonboyE; Feb 1st 2010 at 9:01 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

A smidgin of truth might be a good start.

And, by the way, Vancouverites do riot, but only about important things like hockey.
Hi
I think someone told me there was a riot at a guns'n'roses concert some years back.
cheers
Jerry

Last edited by jerry brewer; Feb 1st 2010 at 9:07 pm. Reason: wireless keyboards eh?
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
is this supposed to be some kind of revelation? We figured out a long time ago that the lympics was going to cost us a fortune. I've actually been enjoying the vibe in Vancouver and as for the security - it's the age we live in I'm afraid. Wait till London, there'll be two coppers on every corner.
Hi
yeah London should be interesting..
would almost bet there will be more than two police on each corner, it's gonna be a nightmare trying to control the airspace.
and the costs, etc. well just look at what happened with T5 at heathrow.
Should make vancouver 2010 look like a low budget movie..

Anway it all starts soon

Now do i cheer for Canada, UK or Both..

As the advert goes C eh N eh D eh .... now where's the Molsons.......

cheers
jerry

Last edited by jerry brewer; Feb 1st 2010 at 9:15 pm. Reason: typo again
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:18 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, if it is a capital project it would stay on the balance sheet. Its the revenues and expenses that don't belong there.

You can. It just depends on the point you are trying to prove. Capital budgets and operating budgets are two different things and are not, and should not, be evaluated in the same way.

Is it spending or is it investment?

Take the VSB. If they need to build a new school are they supposed to go into a massive deficit in the year and lay off all the teachers? Or should they recognize a part of the cost over the years that the school is used?
Yes, I know. I would like to see it presented like we spent $X received $Y and now have infrastructure Z. I can work out for myself if I think Z = X - Y represents good value.

Personally I think that the convention centre will make money, as will the Canada line eventually. Decades will pass before the sea-to-sky highway costs are recouped if they ever are. That road just isn't that busy and I've driven it a fair number of times (ironically it's the one piece of investment that I do derive value from).

That is just the kind of BS that gets Ms. Ima Ginstit* of Kerrisdale all in a lather. Laptops are provided to Vanoc from Acer who are an Olympic partner. I also think you are a zero out on the number of laptops. The original estimate was 5,200 though Acer are now claiming they provided 6,500 "pieces of computing equipment".

http://www.acer.com/olympic_games/eng/worldwide.html
I'm not sure of the figure but that's what they said. I don't think I misheard as I've discussed it with others who saw the report and their memory matches mine. I don't doubt your figures though and it wouldn't be the first time global BC got it wrong.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I don't see the big deal. He's just articulating what a lot of people are thinking. And some of what he says is true: they are cutting school funding, my school board will be in deficit soon with cuts coming. 800 teachers may well lose their jobs in the VSD. If more of you had young kids in public school, maybe you'd be more concerned about the price of the Olympics too. I've also had friends with small businesses who have been driven into bankruptcy by the canada line.

I agree the locals have a 'meh' attitude. I don't blame them.
Hi
There shutting/combining schools near us, but that has nothing to do with the Olympics, It's lack of Kids, hence to many teachers, we saw the writing on the wall about two years ago.

true shame for those businesses effected by the Canada Line, but look at the benefits from the line also..
cheers
Jerry

Last edited by jerry brewer; Feb 1st 2010 at 9:23 pm. Reason: typo
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

........ Decades will pass before the sea-to-sky highway costs are recouped if they ever are. That road just isn't that busy and I've driven it a fair number of times (ironically it's the one piece of investment that I do derive value from).......
Hi
ignoring costs I think the main benefit is it will save a few lives.
cheers
Jerry
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:23 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi
There shutting school near us, but that has nothing to do with the Olympics, It's lack of Kids, hence to many teachers, we saw the writing on the wall about two years ago.

true shame for those businesses effected by the Canada Line, but look at the benefits from the line also..
cheers
Jerry
Yeah I know. Vanoc and Vanoc's beotch Translink should not have lied about cut and cover and now they should pay up to those who have lost businesses. I'd be happy for my tax dollars to go there. From where I stand it just looks like a classic olympian steamroller over the little guy.

I heard that about north van i.e. closing due to lack of kids. Word was they were going to start advertising in other districts, don't know if it happened though.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi
ignoring costs I think the main benefit is it will save a few lives.
cheers
Jerry
The investment was made to increase the capacity and speed of the road not to save lives. If that was the goal it could be achieved at a tiny fraction of the cost.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:35 pm
Binned by Muderators

Yes, I know. I would like to see it presented like we spent $X received $Y and now have infrastructure Z. I can work out for myself if I think Z = X - Y represents good value.
VANOC commissioned an academic report from UBC to evaluate the costs and benefits of the Games. I think there was a ten year timescale to make a full evaluation so I don't expect we'll see anything soon, but it will be interesting all the same when it is eventually produced.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 2:12 am

Well, regardless of what people think of the article - it really did make it onto global BC news. They really can't help themselves when it comes to coverage in the media; especially if it's seen to be international.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 2:59 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, regardless of what people think of the article - it really did make it onto global BC news. They really can't help themselves when it comes to coverage in the media; especially if it's seen to be international.
I'd rather see international attention drawn to the DTES and maybe we can finally get some federal money for the issues there. I heard that the province as set up a media centre to inform media of what the dtes is all about and what they are doing - just hope its not all glitz and no substance - as much as I applaud the efforts the province and city are undertaking, there's much to be done and more than a little late.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by dboy
I'd rather see international attention drawn to the DTES and maybe we can finally get some federal money for the issues there. I heard that the province as set up a media centre to inform media of what the dtes is all about and what they are doing - just hope its not all glitz and no substance - as much as I applaud the efforts the province and city are undertaking, there's much to be done and more than a little late.
They also had coverage of an anti-olympic demo on the DTES. In total they had two or three minutes of negative olympic reporting which for them is practically doom mongering. I suspect it's cos they aren't the official olympic channel.

I remain unconvinced that anyone really cares about the people of the DTES, they just care about how it looks. The bit in bold sounds like an attempt to stage manage the place - they want to be careful that doesn't bite them on the arse.

Last edited by Alan2005; Feb 2nd 2010 at 3:28 am. Reason: actually respond to dboys post...
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:31 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

They also had coverage of an anti-olympic demo on the DTES. In total they had two or three minutes of negative olympic reporting which for them is practically doom mongering. I suspect it's cos they aren't the official olympic channel.

I remain unconvinced that anyone really cares about the people of the DTES, they just care about how it looks. The bit in bold sounds like an attempt to stage manage the place - they want to be careful that doesn't bite them on the arse.
yes, that's my feeling too. Seems like an effort to manage perceptions, we shall see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.