Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Vancouver's Olympics head for disaster" - Guardian

"Vancouver's Olympics head for disaster" - Guardian

Old Jan 31st 2010, 11:55 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Vancouver's Olympics head for disaster" - Guardian

Originally Posted by dboy
i googled the author, he's some left wing, anti capitalist, blogger, who describes himself as a hippster author (whatever that is), and oh, he's from Vancouver, so hardly and international view of the 2010 games . Not sure how the guardian got a hold of his piece, but he should stick to blogging, and they should actually try running a paper.

https://www.adbusters.org/magazine/79/hipster.html
He does seem to have hit a nerve with his rant. I must confess that I was more amused when I read it than anything - I could just see the po-faced vanoc people getting upset by it. I really hope it's reported later (global BC seem to report any international coverage of Vancouver - it makes them feel less provincial) just to see the reaction.

The author may be a bit of a twat; but that doesn't mean it isn't nice to see some dissenting voices in the msm. You get precious little of that here as it is.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I agree with VPD and RCMP are lining their pockets, I've not seen any benefit, we are working with 25 percent less manpower, vacations are canceled, funding has been diverted from major files, overtime has been cut back, and we had our original pay package canceled.
That's because they are paying for CPS and probably a whole host of other visiting police officers to come and help and have a play in the Olympic city.

The CPS guys have taken annual leave to go to Vancouver (think many went this weekend) but will earn shed loads while there .... that's your diverted funding right there
Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:43 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

they should actually try running a paper.
It wasn't in the paper, of course, CIF is one of the Gruaniad's talkboards.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 3:01 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m
That's because they are paying for CPS and probably a whole host of other visiting police officers to come and help and have a play in the Olympic city.

The CPS guys have taken annual leave to go to Vancouver (think many went this weekend) but will earn shed loads while there .... that's your diverted funding right there
i wont make a lick, mind you i dont much like the thought of living on a ship for a month. I was down there today it was odd. I've never seen coppers from Toronto, CPS, Montreal Police , Suerete De Quebec, OPP, all walking the beat and holding security points, it was quite a sight.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
It wasn't in the paper, of course, CIF is one of the Gruaniad's talkboards.
well that makes more sense, given the caliber of the "hipster author"
Old Feb 1st 2010, 3:29 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

well that makes more sense, given the caliber of the "hipster author"
It was a link off the front page, that's how I found it. I assumed it was obvious that it was opinion - I even said so on third post in this thread. I guess from now on i'll have to tag the links I post for those that have difficulty telling the difference
Old Feb 1st 2010, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005
It was a link off the front page, that's how I found it. I assumed it was obvious that it was opinion - I even said so on third post in this thread. I guess from now on i'll have to tag the links I post for those that have difficulty telling the difference
no need to be condescending, yes we get that it was an opinion piece. Don't see what that had to do with the price of tea in china.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 4:18 am

no need to be condescending, yes we get that it was an opinion piece. Don't see what that had to do with the price of tea in china.
I like being condescending .... and what it has to do with the tea in china is that the criticism the piece has received has been that it is just opinion from a 'hipster author' (and no I don't know what that is either - but your quote marks are condescending as well you know).

I liked reading what he had to say myself as I like reading rants. The problem he had was he came across like Michael Moore in that he had a point, but his splatter gun approach needed some refinement. Some of underlying facts (and he linked to a fair few sources) were spun to the point of incredulity and this lessened the impact of what he was trying to say (another Michael Moore trait).

I suspect the guy maybe a young and certainly naive idealist, but he had an enjoyable writing style (imo). If you have a strong reaction to what he had to say that would probably be harder to see though.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

is this supposed to be some kind of revelation? We figured out a long time ago that the lympics was going to cost us a fortune. I've actually been enjoying the vibe in Vancouver and as for the security - it's the age we live in I'm afraid. Wait till London, there'll be two coppers on every corner.
Seeing the words 'vibe' and 'vancouver' in the same sentence is a first for me.

Originally Posted by JonboyE
We'll be heading downtown later today to enjoy a bit of the atmosphere.
Seriously, I come downtown everyday and there is nowt happening. Lots of pretty artwork/billboards etc going up, but nothing (like the live sites, zip-line etc) will be up and running until the show gets off the ground. I find the atmosphere wierd to be honest. It's almost feels like it's months away and not 11 days. Still, we will be coming downtown to see what's going on when it starts, but dreading the commute !!

As for the article, well I think everyone knew it would lose money, but the question is how much and we won't know that until the whole party leaves town. Apart from the financial aspect, the rest of the piece is pretty much rambling nonsense. The lack of snow on grouse and a lukewarm attitude from the locals is more a current concern for me.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 5:45 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see the big deal. He's just articulating what a lot of people are thinking. And some of what he says is true: they are cutting school funding, my school board will be in deficit soon with cuts coming. 800 teachers may well lose their jobs in the VSD. If more of you had young kids in public school, maybe you'd be more concerned about the price of the Olympics too. I've also had friends with small businesses who have been driven into bankruptcy by the canada line.

I agree the locals have a 'meh' attitude. I don't blame them.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 6:31 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
800 teachers may well lose their jobs in the VSD.
No they won't. There is not a single, solitary, chance that 800 teachers will be laid off. It is only a part of the PR campaign the VSB indulges in every time they are negotiating budgets with the provincial government.

It has nothing to do with the Olympics.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 6:47 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

No they won't. There is not a single, solitary, chance that 800 teachers will be laid off. It is only a part of the PR campaign the VSB indulges in every time they are negotiating budgets with the provincial government.

And yet, the Vancouver School board is operating with a deficit. Something has to give, no?
Old Feb 1st 2010, 6:58 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

It's simple, not enough children and a provincial government whose ideological underpinning is to be tight ***ts.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Oink
It's simple, not enough children and a provincial government whose ideological underpinning is to be tight ***ts.
except when elite sports events are involved. Then suddenly the wallet is open and cash is flowing, baby.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:11 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
except when elite sports events are involved. Then suddenly the wallet is open and cash is flowing, baby.
Excuse the unfortunate term, but education is not a sexy issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.