Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Vancouver's Olympics head for disaster" - Guardian

"Vancouver's Olympics head for disaster" - Guardian

Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:06 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Vancouver's Olympics head for disaster" - Guardian

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Oh, there are some "facts" alright. That there are proposals to close 14 schools in Northern BC is a fact. Of course, it has **** all to do with the Olympics but that wouldn't suit his diatribe.

Nowhere were the Olympics expected to make a $10bn profit. Either he made this up, or more likely someone made it up for him, because it is a nice round, sensational number. He then goes on to say that the Olympics are "unlikely to generate a return" as if this is some great expose - VANOC has p*****d $10bn up the wall!

To me "unlikely to generate a return" is another way of saying breaking even. If, in the wake of global economic collapse and world-wide security paranoia, VANOC can deliver a break even Games they will have done bloody well. The city and the province will have the Olympic legacy for free.
It won't break even - it's going to cost. Or rather it will break even because we'll be told it has by the people that want us to believe it. They will over-estimate the future value of the new infrastructure to balance the books.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:10 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
the article is more to do with the writer's distaste for all things Olympic, rather than Vancouver's games. We only have ourselves to blame, we did, after all, vote to have them. I agree with Jonboye, that highlighting local cut backs to pad his opinion is shallow.

Not sure I agree with VPD and RCMP are lining their pockets, I've not seen any benefit, we are working with 25 percent less manpower, vacations are canceled, funding has been diverted from major files, overtime has been cut back, and we had our original pay package canceled.
Of course. I didn't take it that seriously. It's not pretending to be journalism of the kind you and JonboyE took it to be. It's just some guys opinion and whilst I think he has a point he does lay it on a bit thick. You were right initially - none of what he said was any kind of revelation to those of us living here. But it will be to people who don't and that article will be read by many.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:20 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
It won't break even - it's going to cost. Or rather it will break even because we'll be told it has by the people that want us to believe it. They will over-estimate the future value of the new infrastructure to balance the books.
So, if "they" tell you the Olympics lost money it is plainly the truth
but, if "they" tell you the Olympics broke even it is obviously a lie.

Ho hum.

I like sport. I'm looking forward to a great couple of weeks. I can really do without some ill-informed opinionated tosser sitting in an office in London, using a political argument so clearly faulty that it would make the NDP blush, trying to ****** it up.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:26 pm

So, if "they" tell you the Olympics lost money it is plainly the truth
but, if "they" tell you the Olympics broke even it is obviously a lie.

Ho hum.

I like sport. I'm looking forward to a great couple of weeks. I can really do without some ill-informed opinionated tosser sitting in an office in London, using a political argument so clearly faulty that it would make the NDP blush, trying to ****** it up.
No, I would like to see it properly audited. So far the people claiming it will make a loss are at presenting figures; those claiming a profit or break even can't (or more likely won't) even do that.

Yes, it's opinionated, but he got the reaction he wanted from you at least.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:40 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

No, I would like to see it properly audited. So far the people claiming it will make a loss are at presenting figures; those claiming a profit or break even can't (or more likely won't) even do that.
I can present any figures I like, about anything. They are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. It doesn't mean diddly squat.

Yes, it's opinionated, but he got the reaction he wanted from you at least.
True. I hope he is happy.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:45 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I can present any figures I like, about anything. They are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. It doesn't mean diddly squat.
Is that what you put on your tax forms? I'm sure Revenue Canada will love that rationale.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:54 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by Oink
Is that what you put on your tax forms? I'm sure Revenue Canada will love that rationale.
Like the $100,000,000,000 stuck in Nigeria bank accounts, projected financial information is only useful if you understand the motives and bias of the people presenting it.

I like to think that my tax returns have some basis in reality.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:58 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Like the $100,000,000,000 stuck in Nigeria bank accounts, projected financial information is only useful if you understand the motives and bias of the people presenting it.

I like to think that my tax returns have some basis in reality.
An independent systems audit would be able to proper job, which is not too much to ask as we live in a society where financial transparency is the expected best practice.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 7:09 pm

I hope you don't tell your clients that!

True. I hope he is happy.
It's quite unlike you to resort to ad-hominem - are you having a bad day?
Old Jan 31st 2010, 7:23 pm
Binned by Muderators

An independent systems audit would be able to proper job, which is not too much to ask as we live in a society where financial transparency is the expected best practice.
It is not too much to ask, but you can only do an audit after the fact. Before the fact it is just speculation.

(Yes, you can audit processes before the fact. I can audit internal control of a company during 2010 but I can't audit 2010's results until 2011.)
Old Jan 31st 2010, 7:30 pm
Binned by Muderators

I hope you don't tell your clients that!
Some specifically ask for it.

It's quite unlike you to resort to ad-hominem - are you having a bad day?
It is not really ad-hominem. I am not saying he wrong because he is a tosser, I am saying he is a tosser because he is wrong and presents uninformed opinion as fact.

It is a deduction rather than a logical fallacy.

People who assume their opinion is more important than fact or truth p*** me off every day.

Last edited by JonboyE; Jan 31st 2010 at 7:37 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 7:36 pm

People who assume their opinion is more important than fact or truth p*** me off every day.
Me too.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 7:39 pm

Some specifically ask for it.

It is not really ad-hominem. I am not saying he wrong because he is a tosser, I am saying he is a tosser because he is wrong and presents uninformed opinion as fact.

It is a deduction rather than a logical fallacy.

I would say he's spinning some facts to match his opinion rather than simply making stuff up. There are plenty of people who see the IOC as one of the worlds more corrupt organizations - he is clearly one of them.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 7:42 pm

Me too.
Me too; with the exception of when opinion is mine
Old Jan 31st 2010, 11:24 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

i googled the author, he's some left wing, anti capitalist, blogger, who describes himself as a hippster author (whatever that is), and oh, he's from Vancouver, so hardly and international view of the 2010 games . Not sure how the guardian got a hold of his piece, but he should stick to blogging, and they should actually try running a paper.

https://www.adbusters.org/magazine/79/hipster.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.