Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

vancouver? whats it like

vancouver? whats it like

Old Nov 2nd 2010, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: vancouver? whats it like

Originally Posted by dboy
However, a city can be judged by its setting and Vancouver has to be amongst one of the most beautifully situated cities in the world, and as such, is beautiful. It took decades to build the seawall, waterside walks, beaches and parks all add to the livability of the place. the natural setting is well incorperated into the city.
couldn't agree more

Last edited by ducktastic; Nov 2nd 2010 at 5:31 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 5:32 pm
The Dude Abides

theotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond repute

i don't think i like what's being implied about us rugby types...

after all it is football players who slap each others butts, moisturise and preen for the cameras and pile on top of each other to celebrate when one of them has achieved something of note in a game featuring 80 minutes of tedious dullness punctuated by moments of interest...

sorry, i truly hate football.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 5:34 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theotherlebowski

after all it is football players who slap each others butts, moisturise and preen for the cameras and pile on top of each other to celebrate when one of them has achieved something of note in a game featuring 80 minutes of tedious dullness punctuated by moments of interest...

Hmm, but piling on top of each other is part of the game in rugby - in football this sort of behaviour is at least optional.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

I rest my case your honour
Attached Thumbnails vancouver? whats it like-henson_caption_final_193070.jpg  
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 5:42 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Even in the West End sticking your hand between another guy's legs and trying to pull his shorts down is still considered as rather outrageous.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 6:03 pm
The Dude Abides

theotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond repute

haha, piling on top of each other is an integral part of the game or rugby but the fact that it's optional says more about footballers than it does about rugby players!

sadly rugby does have it's preening torso flashers but they're in the minority as teenage girls don't tend to like rugby but they love a semi-literate footballer with his nips out.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 6:45 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

haha, piling on top of each other is an integral part of the game or rugby but the fact that it's optional says more about footballers than it does about rugby players!

sadly rugby does have it's preening torso flashers but they're in the minority as teenage girls don't tend to like rugby but they love a semi-literate footballer with his nips out.
Apparently, the big invention in rugby was the ball, before that its was just plain buggery.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 6:59 pm
The Dude Abides

harsh dude... at least there's more than one rule in rugby. football is such a boring sport that only appeals to so many people because it's childishly simple to understand.

so i guess the great advance in football was the introduction of the offside rule: before that football was just barely literate perverts running about in ridiculously tight shorts chasing a ball because in a certain light it looks like a boob!

besides which, i dare you to call a 6'8" prop forward a great big nancy boy! you could call a footballer one and he'd have to go an ask his coach what it meant giving you plenty of time to escape!
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 8:12 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

you can pay less, depends where you want to be. Vancouver is not that much more expensive than most other Canadian cities once you factor out buying real estate.

I just spent a week in Calgary and did n't really find it any different.
I haven't done a comparison but I think if you want to live in the half-decent areas of Vancouver then you have to pay a premium on rent. You won't get great value for money. You can pay a lot less if you want to live in New West or Surrey for example.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 8:28 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

harsh dude...

besides which, i dare you to call a 6'8" prop forward a great big nancy boy! you could call a footballer one and he'd have to go an ask his coach what it meant giving you plenty of time to escape!
It was a little harsh I grant you. But as for your 6'8" 'prop', I suspect he'd be too busy watching UFC to bother.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Zercher is on a distinguished road

Many of the cities you named are ancient and yes the built form of these cities (not sure about Queens town though, looks like Whistler to me) are magnificent wonders to be seen. Prague, Edinbrugh, Bath, Copenhagen, are amongst my favs, which I agree Vancouver cant touch in terms of built form.

However, a city can be judged by its setting and Vancouver has to be amongst one of the most beautifully situated cities in the world, and as such, is beautiful. It took decades to build the seawall, waterside walks, beaches and parks all add to the livability of the place. the natural setting is well incorperated into the city.

some pics of 'ugly Vancouver' a picture afterall is worth a 1000 words

http://www.daemery.com/Additional/vancouver.htm
Yes, Vancouver is a beautiful city, besides its middle of the road builtform
In fairness dboy I'm seeing it more your way the longer I'm here....even if I'm not a fan of the big stone tower blocks, spent a few hours knocking around Beach Ave/Denman and Davie/English Bay area earlier...seriously stunning with the sun and warmth and autumn all around...
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 1:21 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Apparently, the big invention in rugby was the ball, before that its was just plain buggery.
There are definitely strong homoerotic aspects to rugby. I mean come ON. How many other sports allow men to spend that much time up each others' bums???
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 1:25 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zercher
I'm not hugely impressed I'll say. I've been to lots of cities around the world, and have heard Vancouver referred to as 'amazing' and 'beautiful'.
Wow, you'd actually heard of it before you came? That is a big change. I'd never heard anything about Van before I moved here (8 + years ago). Seems like Van is becoming better known internationally?
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 2:36 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zercher
In fairness dboy I'm seeing it more your way the longer I'm here....even if I'm not a fan of the big stone tower blocks, spent a few hours knocking around Beach Ave/Denman and Davie/English Bay area earlier...seriously stunning with the sun and warmth and autumn all around...
No one is a fan of the communist era blocks such as those in the west end, i hate them, although they do provide cheaper rental options for people. Vancouver shamelessly skirts on its scenery. lance Berelowitz says that Vancouver is defined by its edges, its public spaces are its' beaches and parks....but looking outwards instead of inwards has made us lazy.

City of Glass by another Vancouver staple, Douglas Coupland, captures the essence of Vancouver in City of Glass. A Vancouver die hard, Coupland notes the failure of much of our built enviroment but understands the city has someone who has grown here.

he also understands that Vancouver is still moving and is still becoming:

"It’s what I always say, and sorry to be a creature of repetition, but it’s that we STILL haven’t become what we’re going to be. Pretty much every other city on North America is futuref**ked and have no choice to be anything but a slight variation on what they already are. But Vancouver? In four years we could be a whole new city"

Last edited by dboy; Nov 3rd 2010 at 3:07 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:17 am
The Dude Abides

kiwilass, you're letting your southern hemisphere heritage down! if we're talking about truly homoerotic sports (and i use the term sport in the loosest possible sense) then surely we have to acknowledge "professional wrestling"?

muscled up, oiled up guys with poodle perms in speedos rolling around all over each other is so much more homoerotic than rugby which is, let's face it, a bar fight with an objective!

anyway, we've got the autumn tests coming up, the six nations and then the world cup so i shall be in rugby fan heaven over the course of the next year witn my fingers in my ears to dissent. la la la la la la la not listening!

best game on earth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.