Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver - what a dump (if TV drama is to be believed)

Vancouver - what a dump (if TV drama is to be believed)

Old Nov 8th 2016, 7:16 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver - what a dump (if TV drama is to be believed)

Originally Posted by dominiqueincanada
Did you not have wage expectations and know about house prices before immigrating? I recently bought a small townhouse here in Vancouver and it would have cost more in Bristol where I immigrated from. UK house prices are also pretty insane...
No because I came out here on an IEC. Back then it wasn't known if I would settle.

Wage expectations lol - I work in the not for profit sector there
Old Nov 8th 2016, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

dominiqueincanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That's interesting. I found this. Assessed at $385,900, could this be Vancouver’s cheapest house?

No idea what the area is like but it doesn't look like it's out in the middle of nowhere.

According to rightmove, Terraced houses in Bristol have an average of about £265k and even with poor exchange rates that's $437k.

Mind you, I'd like to know where those more expensive Terraced houses in Bristol are. I sold mine in Totterdown for £155k in 2005 and three years ago it was resold for £197k. I doubt it's gone up hugely since so there must some really crazily priced terraced houses at the top end to produce an average of £265k.
I lived in Clifton in Bristol and now live in Kitsilano in Vancouver. I would argue those are both desirable places to live. A tiny 1 bed in Clifton when I left was about £180k, a decent 1 bed in Clifton was around £220k. Seeing as 1 beds in Kitsilano start at around $420k I really don't think that represents a massive margin particularly as Bristol is not an expensive city. Also, Bristol is not a world class city in the way Vancouver is.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
No because I came out here on an IEC. Back then it wasn't known if I would settle.

Wage expectations lol - I work in the not for profit sector there
I understand. My best friend in England works for a non profit and lives in London; it's a real struggle. I'm simple stating that you would probably have a much tougher time in terms of housing in London for example and that the crazy housing market we see in Vancouver can be seen in many other cities.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 8:24 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I understand. My best friend in England works for a non profit and lives in London; it's a real struggle. I'm simple stating that you would probably have a much tougher time in terms of housing in London for example and that the crazy housing market we see in Vancouver can be seen in many other cities.

I get what you are saying but I cant see this pattern anywhere else in Canada to the extremes as what it is here.

This is why I am looking at relocating to the East Coast. I could still get an apartment in Northamptonshire, where I am from. I can barely get an apartment in Abbotsford even.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute

Keen to move to Canada? Here are some things to consider - BBC News

''The average price of properties in Vancouver rose more than 32% in the past year to $917,800 (US $700,000; £550,000) the Real Estate Board Of Greater Vancouver said this month.

The average price of properties in Vancouver rose more than 32% in the past year to $917,800 (US $700,000; £550,000) the Real Estate Board Of Greater Vancouver said this month.

For comparison, the average house price in the UK's most expensive city, London, was about £472,384 in June, a 9.9% increase on the previous year.''

It's cheaper to buy a house in London compared to Vancouver.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 8:39 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

One beds might be of a similar price, but you indicated that you purchased a townhouse in Vancouver, and that surely must be more than the $500K that BristolUK suggests a townhouse in Bristol would fetch.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I get what you are saying but I cant see this pattern anywhere else in Canada to the extremes as what it is here.

This is why I am looking at relocating to the East Coast. I could still get an apartment in Northamptonshire, where I am from. I can barely get an apartment in Abbotsford even.
That is a fair comment and I can't argue with that. Our long term plan is to move to Kelowna.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 8:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...Also, Bristol is not a world class city in the way Vancouver is.
Not now I'm no longer there anyway.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Canuck74
Keen to move to Canada? Here are some things to consider - BBC News

''The average price of properties in Vancouver rose more than 32% in the past year to $917,800 (US $700,000; £550,000) the Real Estate Board Of Greater Vancouver said this month.

The average price of properties in Vancouver rose more than 32% in the past year to $917,800 (US $700,000; £550,000) the Real Estate Board Of Greater Vancouver said this month.

For comparison, the average house price in the UK's most expensive city, London, was about £472,384 in June, a 9.9% increase on the previous year.''

It's cheaper to buy a house in London compared to Vancouver.
The issue with averages is that they're not very telling. Houses in Vancouver are expensive, but it would be cheaper to buy a house say in Kits which is desirable and a 10 minute drive to downtown than an equivalent house which would be in central London.

I think a big issue in Vancouver as was pointed out by my friend who comes from Sydney is that although the market there is crazy, there is a large housing stock of row houses, a great compromise between an apartment and a detached house. In Vancouver, the equivalent would be a townhouse but these are few and far between so they are forced into small apartments as there is no way they can afford detached houses.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shard
One beds might be of a similar price, but you indicated that you purchased a townhouse in Vancouver, and that surely must be more than the $500K that BristolUK suggests a townhouse in Bristol would fetch.
Sorry Shard, I should clarify we have a one bed townhouse. A bit of a rarity.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 8:52 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

. . . a world class city in the way Vancouver is.

Thank you so much, its been a bit of humourless day what with the US election and stuff but this has lightened the afternoon up quite considerably.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver a world class city?????????? You're having a laugh! Vancouver is a backwater dull boring place. London has more going for it!

I lived in Clifton in Bristol and now live in Kitsilano in Vancouver. I would argue those are both desirable places to live. A tiny 1 bed in Clifton when I left was about £180k, a decent 1 bed in Clifton was around £220k. Seeing as 1 beds in Kitsilano start at around $420k I really don't think that represents a massive margin particularly as Bristol is not an expensive city. Also, Bristol is not a world class city in the way Vancouver is.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 11:01 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canuck74
Vancouver a world class city?????????? You're having a laugh! Vancouver is a backwater dull boring place. London has more going for it!
You can't compare a city of 7m to one of 650,000

Try comparing Vancouver to Leeds.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 11:16 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Not now I'm no longer there anyway.

Lets get back to the topic please
Old Nov 8th 2016, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
You can't compare a city of 7m to one of 650,000

Try comparing Vancouver to Leeds.
Leeds is a world class city?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.