Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver - what a dump (if TV drama is to be believed)

Vancouver - what a dump (if TV drama is to be believed)

Old Nov 7th 2016, 6:50 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver - what a dump (if TV drama is to be believed)

Originally Posted by Oink
I prefer it in the winter when there are aren't many tourists. Last summer I had one ask for for directions to the whale watching boats which I duly obliged but the bloke didn't seem to like my answer and said, "hey buddy, we don't give directions like that in NY" I replied, "you're not naffing in NY you naffing cad, now naff off." Should of made him feel right at home.
Knowing your love of the Orcas, Maybe you shouldn't have said "Why would anyone pay to go and watch those naffers?- I would harpoon them"
Old Nov 7th 2016, 7:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
The only people who go to Hastings and Main are druggies and hookers.
I went there. My daughter works in the area and showed us around. She said she thinks it's the kind of place where it's prudent to lock one's bicycle so she does that.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 7:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, anyone complaining about living in Vancouver because it's full of druggies near Hastings and Main....
So that's Hastings and Main, Keefer, wherever that tour went, Granville, Nelson....

Anywhere else to avoid?
Old Nov 7th 2016, 7:10 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadianInGasgow
That's kind of my point though, reading this thread you would think Vancouver is a drug haven, you've just pointed out that down a back alley where you would have to go looking for it. So I'm confused about this perception that Vancouver is littered with needles and drug addicts.

Simply an observation from reading this thread. Yes I've only been here 3mths, hence I was giving my observations this far.
No need to get defensive. I'm merely pointing out you are relatively new to Vancouver. I've only been here 2 years and it's taking me a while to see the city outside the rose tinted glasses and that's nothing to do with the drug issue.

I'm a youth worker that sometimes does outreach so I know where it occurs.

You may start seeing it more due to the Fetenyl/dodgy drugs going that's making the rounds.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
No need to get defensive. I'm merely pointing out you are relatively new to Vancouver. I've only been here 2 years and it's taking me a while to see the city outside the rose tinted glasses and that's nothing to do with the drug issue.

I'm a youth worker that sometimes does outreach so I know where it occurs.

You may start seeing it more due to the Fetenyl/dodgy drugs going that's making the rounds.
I'm really not defensive I'm just actually asking genuine questions
Old Nov 7th 2016, 7:18 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just actually asking genuine questions
Which have already been answered.

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it isn't happening
Old Nov 7th 2016, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond repute

Which have already been answered.

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it isn't happening
Actually no one has answered my question: why live here if you hate it so much? I don't understand it
Old Nov 7th 2016, 7:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Because Brits are infamous for complaining about 1st world shite, (it's no wonder the Aussies call us whinging poms).

Seriously, anyone complaining about living in Vancouver because it's full of druggies near Hastings and Main needs a reality check. The only people who go to Hastings and Main are druggies and hookers.
And people using public transit. Main and Hastings is a transfer point for buses, had to transfer there many many times.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 7:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually no one has answered my question: why live here if you hate it so much? I don't understand it
Some people don't have the luxury to just move.

They may have a job in Vancouver they can't relocate. Family, spouse might have a job in Vancouver. May not have the funds to move etc etc.

Lots of reasons why some may need to live somewhere they may not desire or like.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 7:23 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Some people don't have the luxury to just move.
There's one answer

My answer...

I want to buy property and can't do it here. So I've got to look at other areas or provinces. This takes time and on top of that I have to look for a job. The other issue is I want to be near the mountains and not everywhere has that.

And there's another for you!
Old Nov 7th 2016, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

There's one answer

My answer...

I want to buy property and can't do it here. So I've got to look at other areas or provinces. This takes time and on top of that I have to look for a job. The other issue is I want to be near the mountains and not everywhere has that.

And there's another for you!
For someone who has just accused me of being defensive, you seem to be quite defensive yourself.

I thought this was a forum to exchange views. However clearly having a different view is a problem . I leave you guys to complaining.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 7:28 pm
Bex in the city

For someone who has just accused me of being defensive, you seem to be quite defensive yourself.

I thought this was a forum to exchange views. However clearly having a different view is a problem . I leave you guys to complaining.
You were being defensive though lol

You are entitled to your opinion of course but so are the rest of us as well!
Old Nov 7th 2016, 7:28 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
So that's Hastings and Main, Keefer, wherever that tour went, Granville, Nelson....

Anywhere else to avoid?

Granville Island, South Granville and the Coal Harbour area. Its not that they're drug infested, just stay away from them. Oh and YVR on certain dates and time. I can PM those.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 7:30 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Oink
Granville Island, South Granville and the Coal Harbour area. Its not that they're drug infested, just stay away from them. Oh and YVR on certain dates and time. I can PM those.
Don't forget Yaletown
Old Nov 7th 2016, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

You were being defensive though lol

You are entitled to your opinion of course but so are the rest of us as well!
I can assure you I'm not being defensive, I'm not the one using the exclamation marks. I welcome other people's views but I also appreciate that some people would give their right arm for the chance to live here and wouldn't complain quite so much about issues that can be seen in every major city in the world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.