Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver - what a dump (if TV drama is to be believed)

Vancouver - what a dump (if TV drama is to be believed)

Old Nov 6th 2016, 12:09 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver - what a dump (if TV drama is to be believed)

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
It's certainly a world leader in smugness.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 12:19 am
Banned

Lizzie68 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Just as those of us who live in all those other places have to put up with negative (often uninformed) opinions about where we live from people who don't live here.
Of course.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 12:20 am
Banned

Lizzie68 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
It's certainly a world leader in smugness.
Well, if loving where I live is being smug, then so be it.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 1:32 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Having flown out of San Diego after dark and into and out of Seattle after dark yesterday, Vancouver is the least appealing of the mix at night.

I generally like Vancouver but its a tad boring with not much to do in my view unless you like the outdoors.

Its the dullest place I've ever lived. It seems to revel in mediocrity but so does the rest of the country thb.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 2:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lizzie68 View Post
As far as I'm concerned, Vancouver is the most scenic city in the world, absolutely love it. Of course there are areas that are bad, just like anywhere else.
I was a little disappointed in the city...mainly because I'd heard so many positives things about it. Admittedly there are good and bad areas in all cities. On a tour of the city recently...we saw a guy shooting up in the street...he threw the syringe on the floor...sucked the rest of the vial into his mouth and threw that on the floor.

Whereabouts in Vancouver do you live?
Old Nov 7th 2016, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond repute

I've got to wonder where these places in Vancouver are ?? After 3mths I've never seen a single person shooting up ?? Or seen needles on the ground. We have been all over the city in the time we have been here. Area around keefer was abit dodgy looking but I've seen way worse in the UK

Have to admit it astounds me the amount of people that complain about Vancouver, why do you live here if you think it's so bad ? (That is a genuine question). All cities have "drug areas" why would you think Vancouver is any different. I'm sorry but "home" is what you make of it
Old Nov 7th 2016, 3:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadianInGasgow View Post
I've got to wonder where these places in Vancouver are ?? After 3mths I've never seen a single person shooting up ?? Or seen needles on the ground. We have been all over the city in the time we have been here. Area around keefer was abit dodgy looking but I've seen way worse in the UK

Have to admit it astounds me the amount of people that complain about Vancouver, why do you live here if you think it's so bad ? (That is a genuine question). All cities have "drug areas" why would you think Vancouver is any different. I'm sorry but "home" is what you make of it
We were on a bus tour on the city...just before we reached Gas Town.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 4:51 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I've got to wonder where these places in Vancouver are ?? After 3mths I've never seen a single person shooting up ??
Back alleys of Granville Street (behind Granville and Nelson) but unless you go there you wont see it.

You have only been here 3 months though...
Old Nov 7th 2016, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

"Bland" is the one word I would use to sum up Vancouver. Better in the tourist season when there is a bit more of an atmosphere, but in the winter it is soulless.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo View Post
Back alleys of Granville Street (behind Granville and Nelson) but unless you go there you wont see it.

You have only been here 3 months though...
That's kind of my point though, reading this thread you would think Vancouver is a drug haven, you've just pointed out that down a back alley where you would have to go looking for it. So I'm confused about this perception that Vancouver is littered with needles and drug addicts.

Simply an observation from reading this thread. Yes I've only been here 3mths, hence I was giving my observations this far.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 5:31 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nativenewyorker View Post
"Bland" is the one word I would use to sum up Vancouver. Better in the tourist season when there is a bit more of an atmosphere, but in the winter it is soulless.
I prefer it in the winter when there are aren't many tourists. Last summer I had one ask for for directions to the whale watching boats which I duly obliged but the bloke didn't seem to like my answer and said, "hey buddy, we don't give directions like that in NY" I replied, "you're not naffing in NY you naffing cad, now naff off." Should of made him feel right at home.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 5:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

That's kind of my point though, reading this thread you would think Vancouver is a drug haven, you've just pointed out that down a back alley where you would have to go looking for it. So I'm confused about this perception that Vancouver is littered with needles and drug addicts.

Simply an observation from reading this thread. Yes I've only been here 3mths, hence I was giving my observations this far.
Bit of an exaggerateion there CIG. Although we weren't looking down a back alley...but travelling along a main road in a bus.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it has the milder winters going for it, which of course attracts more than its Canadian share of riffraff. More importantly, it's just not a place you can get on and start ticking the boxes, unless you have a shit ton of disposable income for a deposit.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Bit of an exaggerateion there CIG. Although we weren't looking down a back alley...but travelling along a main road in a bus.
Hyperbole for effect
Old Nov 7th 2016, 7:43 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Because Brits are infamous for complaining about 1st world shite, (it's no wonder the Aussies call us whinging poms).

Seriously, anyone complaining about living in Vancouver because it's full of druggies near Hastings and Main needs a reality check. The only people who go to Hastings and Main are druggies and hookers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.