Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver - what a dump (if TV drama is to be believed)

Vancouver - what a dump (if TV drama is to be believed)

Old Nov 7th 2016, 7:35 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver - what a dump (if TV drama is to be believed)

Originally Posted by CanadianInGasgow
but I also appreciate that some people would give their right arm for the chance to live here and wouldn't complain quite so much about issues that can be seen in every major city in the world.
The housing issues in Vancouver are not like every other city.

(I used a full stop instead of an explaination mark here btw)
Old Nov 7th 2016, 7:36 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Children.... I am going to smack both of you behind your knees with a ruler if this continues
Old Nov 7th 2016, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond repute

I can assure you I'm not being defensive, I'm not the one using the exclamation marks. I welcome other people's views but I also appreciate that some people would give their right arm for the chance to live here and wouldn't complain quite so much about issues that can be seen in every major city in the world.
Originally Posted by beckiwoo

Ok so now we have moved on to housing instead of drugs. Ok whatever makes your point.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 7:39 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Children.... I am going to smack both of you behind your knees with a ruler if this continues
Sorry. I'm just going to use the block button now anyway.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 7:40 pm
Bex in the city

Ok so now we have moved on to housing instead of drugs. Ok whatever makes your point.
Going to block you now as I can't be bothered to waste my energy.

Good luck in Vancouver
Old Nov 7th 2016, 7:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Well said. And on that note can we please stop the squabbling and get this thread back on track? Ta muchly.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 7:52 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Its the Pacific northwest so the sky is very grey and blanketing and lots of the city, especially on the east side is very moldy and damp. They don't seem to take care of the city very well although they have put some posh Christmas lights on the lampposts near me. Rather thoughtful of them to put up some illumination for my walk back from the pub.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Because Brits are infamous for complaining about 1st world shite, (it's no wonder the Aussies call us whinging poms).

Seriously, anyone complaining about living in Vancouver because it's full of druggies near Hastings and Main needs a reality check. The only people who go to Hastings and Main are druggies and hookers.
....And people who work with druggies and hookers.

I drive through and work in DTES on a regular basis. It is most probably one of the saddest places I've had to work.

Bizarrely I have never felt unsafe down there. A colleague of mine when he first arrived in Vancouver was taking a walk through Chinatown and by accident arrived in the downtown Eastside area. He was amazed when one of the street guys shouted down the block "kids on the block" as a way of getting people to hide what they were doing from my friends kids. He also recommended that he shouldn't take the kids there too often!

It might look like a complete hole but it isn't without humanity.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 7:59 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Knowing your love of the Orcas, Maybe you shouldn't have said "Why would anyone pay to go and watch those naffers?- I would harpoon them"
We're not allowed to do that. Anyway they're not too bad, you just have to change your priority on the water when they turn up. I like seeing the pod of white white-sided dolphins, they're very cool and they don't seem to scare the fish away. Anyway I'm mostly prawning at the moment as the fishing is a little thin.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 9:30 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle

Bizarrely I have never felt unsafe down there. A colleague of mine when he first arrived in Vancouver was taking a walk through Chinatown and by accident arrived in the downtown Eastside area. He was amazed when one of the street guys shouted down the block "kids on the block" as a way of getting people to hide what they were doing from my friends kids. He also recommended that he shouldn't take the kids there too often!

It might look like a complete hole but it isn't without humanity.
I agree 100%. I have stumbled out of the No.5 Orange on numerous occasions late at night and was never once worried about the locals beating me up.

However, leaving a pub in the UK at kicking out time, with hundreds of drunk under 25's roaming the streets is still one of my biggest fears. You can almost smell the testosterone in the air.
For anyone reading who is not from the UK,
the video is an example of what I mean.

I grew up in Camberley, Surrey a few miles away from Aldershot, home of the Paras. I have never seen so much drunken violence as I did when I was living in the UK.
The 'binge drinking, looking for a fight on the way to the kebab van' culture does not exist here, and for that, I am extremely thankful.

Yes of course there are exceptions to the rule, but on the whole, I feel much safer walking through the worst streets in Vancouver than I ever did walking back from the pub in Camberley, Surrey. No joke.

Last edited by Danny B; Nov 7th 2016 at 9:50 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 10:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
However, leaving a pub in the UK at kicking out time...For anyone reading who is not from the UK... the video is an example of what I mean.

The 'binge drinking, looking for a fight on the way to the kebab van' culture does not exist here, and for that, I am extremely thankful.
Expect someone to post a video of the Vancouver riots when they lost an ice hockey game.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

Higgy is on a distinguished road

I have lived here for 11 years now, Glasgow born and still have family living there. I cant wait to get back here when i go back for visits. I miss family and thats about it.
I live in Maple Ridge just outside Vancouver. I still drive home every night looking at the backdrop (when its not raining lol) amazed how stunning the scenery is.
My working life is all around Vancouver city though, working in construction of high rise buildings. I get to see the good and the bad that the city has to offer and its pretty much like any other big city. Yes there are areas where there are drugs and prostitution but every major city has those things. I have friends who are policemen from the UK and they prefer dealing with people in downtown Vancouver than they did back in the cities where they came from. Like someone said before, they never thought they were going to get a kicking waiting here for a kebab!
For me personally, the biggest thing the city has going for it is where it is situated. For someone who likes the outdoor life its second to none. Summer and winter there is lots to do and see. It amazes me how many people don't know whats going on in and around the city at any given time of year. Within a short drive there are so many things to see and do. I will say though, its certainly not a cheap place to live but if you don't mind a bit of travel you can live outside the city for less money. Getting more expensive here as time goes on. The wet winters can be depressing if you let them get to you but thats what rain jackets and umbrellas are for.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 12:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Higgy
The wet winters can be depressing if you let them get to you but thats what rain jackets and umbrellas are for.
Good attitude. I try to think the same about snow shovels and snow plows but I'd rather rely only on the jacket and/or brolly.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

dominiqueincanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by beckiwoo

Did you not have wage expectations and know about house prices before immigrating? I recently bought a small townhouse here in Vancouver and it would have cost more in Bristol where I immigrated from. UK house prices are also pretty insane...
Old Nov 8th 2016, 6:58 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by dominiqueincanada
...I recently bought a small townhouse here in Vancouver and it would have cost more in Bristol
That's interesting. I found this. Assessed at $385,900, could this be Vancouver’s cheapest house?
But BC Assessment’s latest figures put the value of the property at just $385,900 — one of the cheapest single-family homes, if not the cheapest, in Vancouver.

Ann Rowley and her partner bought their cosy 540-square-foot home for a song in 2002: just $173,000.
No idea what the area is like but it doesn't look like it's out in the middle of nowhere.

According to rightmove, Terraced houses in Bristol have an average of about £265k and even with poor exchange rates that's $437k.

Mind you, I'd like to know where those more expensive Terraced houses in Bristol are. I sold mine in Totterdown for £155k in 2005 and three years ago it was resold for £197k. I doubt it's gone up hugely since so there must some really crazily priced terraced houses at the top end to produce an average of £265k.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.