Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver vs. London - Help

Vancouver vs. London - Help

Old Nov 17th 2010, 7:20 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver vs. London - Help

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Oh and people who don't leave you alone on the highstreet. I actually hated walking down the highstreet for the amount of pestering I got and tried to avoid that area entirely.
Either you have an over imagination, paranoia, or mahoosive knockers and a tendancy to wear crotchless pants while wandering down the street.

Over 4 years of living around there, i've never had any of that
Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:40 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Thats where I lived and I wouldn't describe it as a particularly "good part of the world". Very average and full of snooty people!

Oh and people who don't leave you alone on the highstreet. I actually hated walking down the highstreet for the amount of pestering I got and tried to avoid that area entirely.
Kingston upon Thames doesn't actually have a High Street. The closest are Clarence Street, Eden Street and the Market Square. I'm not sure what you were doing to attract such attention, but having lived in the area for over 15 years I'm not sure that I was ever "pestered".

If you are contemplating the South West London option, have a look at Teddington and Hampton Wick too. They are just the other side of the Thames River and I think have a slightly more "village" feel. Hampton Wick particularly is only 5 minutes walk from arguably the best shopping experience in South West London. There are tons of restaurants. The Nurseries in Hampton Wick and Teddington are also excellent. Train into Waterloo Station (Central London) takes 30-35 minutes, then tube or bus West will take another 30 minutes (real time). That is, unfortunately the commuting reality for most Londoners. On the up side, as El_Rico has already said, you are on the doorstep of Hampton Court Palace, two of the biggest Royal Parks in Kondon, the Thames, Surrey, 1 hour's drive to Brighton and the Coast, only 2 hours to Birmingham or Bristol. It is right on the epicenter of transport routes out of London for the rest of the Country.

Vancouver it isn't; but if you want to experience the "London thing" without the direct London costs, it's is a good area to consider. We raised 2 girls there and found the facilities excellent. It is a memory that still sits very comfortably with me, pushing my firstborn along the Thames path in mid January and then retiring to a coffee house to enjoy 20 minutes of the Sunday papers while my daughter slept for one of her beirf quiet moments.

By the way, an awful lot of people survive and even flourish in London on a lot less that £74,000 per anum
Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The vast majority of those living in London don't earn anywhere near that and they manage pretty well.
I agree strongly.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 1:01 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by el_richo
I based these on JonboyE's pricing of £1700. As i also mentioned, you can rent a very nice 2 bed place for under £1200 in a well connected area.

It all depends on the amount the OP is paying now i guess.
yaletown is at the higher end in vancouver, but there are much cheaper options both downtown and even more so out of the centre. 1200 pounds (more like 1450 with tax and bills) still seems high to me compared to vancouver. My buddy was renting a nice 3 bed townhouse in central lonsdale for 1700 dollars a month - most bills inlcuded. I used to rent a 2 bed character house in Kits for about the same.

If the OP gets carried away with shelling out high rent, I doubt he would be any better off (although certainly no worse off) which seems to defeat, at least in part, one of the reasons for going there?

Last edited by dboy; Nov 17th 2010 at 1:08 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 2:17 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
yaletown is at the higher end in vancouver, but there are much cheaper options both downtown and even more so out of the centre. 1200 pounds (more like 1450 with tax and bills) still seems high to me compared to vancouver. My buddy was renting a nice 3 bed townhouse in central lonsdale for 1700 dollars a month - most bills inlcuded. I used to rent a 2 bed character house in Kits for about the same.

If the OP gets carried away with shelling out high rent, I doubt he would be any better off (although certainly no worse off) which seems to defeat, at least in part, one of the reasons for going there?
Yep agreed. You have a good point.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 2:27 pm

still think there are many benefits for the OP doing it and i'd jump at the chance. London is one place in the world I would like to have an extended stay.\

Anway time to dash. I have a meeting in Victoria and I'm taking Harbour Air!
Old Nov 17th 2010, 2:28 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

It's true. Though this might be mitigated by the 'better career opportunities' the OP mentioned. Maybe in a few years they'll get that £120k and just about be able to afford to live there.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 2:29 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

still think there are many benefits for the OP doing it and i'd jump at the chance. London is one place in the world I would like to have an extended stay.\

Nice weather for it.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 2:34 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

In a kind of related but not really fashion, the parent company of my current employer is based in London. I am likely travelling to visit operations in Europe in the near future including colleagues in London. It'll be nice to be staying in central London on someone elses dime. Despite living in Essexshire for 14 years, I don't think I've ever stayed in downtown London. Apart from the night I proposed to the Mrs of course but that was an expensive experience.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 6:17 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
In a kind of related but not really fashion, the parent company of my current employer is based in London. I am likely travelling to visit operations in Europe in the near future including colleagues in London. It'll be nice to be staying in central London on someone elses dime. Despite living in Essexshire for 14 years, I don't think I've ever stayed in downtown London. Apart from the night I proposed to the Mrs of course but that was an expensive experience.
"downtown" london - congrats, you've been Amercianised, sorry I mean Americanized!
Old Nov 17th 2010, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Either you have an over imagination, paranoia, or mahoosive knockers and a tendancy to wear crotchless pants while wandering down the street.

Over 4 years of living around there, i've never had any of that
Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Kingston upon Thames doesn't actually have a High Street. The closest are Clarence Street, Eden Street and the Market Square. I'm not sure what you were doing to attract such attention, but having lived in the area for over 15 years I'm not sure that I was ever "pestered".
It's possible that there is some quality about myself that makes them home in on me, I'm tall I guess so maybe thats it.

The kind of people who pestered me were charity workers and people trying to get me to do a survey. Almost every time I walked down Clarence Street (which is what I meant previously by High Street) one or more people from those groups bothered me. It actually got to the point that I ended up being quite rude to them, literally telling them that, for example, I'd been bothered already twice today by someone asking me to do a survey and I had no interest in it. I've never lived anywhere else which had such a high number of people who's sole purpose is to consume your time and money, lurching around the high street.

I know I'm not the only one, I had a discussion with friends I had there who complained about it too.

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; Nov 17th 2010 at 7:45 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 7:51 pm

It's possible that there is some quality about myself that makes them home in on me, I'm tall I guess so maybe thats it.

The kind of people who pestered me were charity workers and people trying to get me to do a survey. Almost every time I walked down Clarence Street (which is what I meant previously by High Street) one or more people from those groups bothered me. It actually got to the point that I ended up being quite rude to them, literally telling them that, for example, I'd been bothered already twice today by someone asking me to do a survey and I had no interest in it. I've never lived anywhere else which had such a high number of people who's sole purpose is to consume your time and money, lurching around the high street.

I know I'm not the only one, I had a discussion with friends I had there who complained about it too.
Chuggers are happening more and more here unfortunately.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

a tendancy to wear crotchless pants while wandering down the street.
Think you are getting muddled with Jings
Old Nov 18th 2010, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Nice weather for it.
it was awful..worse experience of my life! I clutched the barf bag all the way to victoria....I';m taking the ferry next time
Old Nov 18th 2010, 7:21 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Actually - I concede the point. There is a proliferation of Chuggers (Charity Muggers) in Kingston's shopping centre. In a way this is probably an inverted compliment, and something for the OP to consider. The area is generally middle class (Ew!!), fairly affluent and, from a charity point of view, rich pickings. CanadaJimmy - you must have looked posh! and rich! I found a similar - though not as polished - experience last time I was in Victoria. More dogs on strings than you could shake a stick at; worse than King's Cross.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.