Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver vs. London - Help

Vancouver vs. London - Help

Old Nov 16th 2010, 6:20 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver vs. London - Help

Originally Posted by Makaya
Thank you all very much for your thoughtful advices. I really appreciate your genuine help. This is a tough but yet exciting decision we have to make.

In terms of lifestyle, we tend to live quite frugally. We don't have a car (which is partly why I live in Yaletown, easier to commute with the skytrain and everything is closed by), we don't even have TV (I compensate by wasting a lot of time on internet hehe!) and we don't have Iphones or other expensive toys/hobbies (except for skiing once or twice a year)...

The baby will definitely be a life changing event. We were still going to try to live in Vancouver without a car (I usually rent one when needed): the hospital and midwife are a few blocks away, family doctor and grocery stores within two blocks... London is a big city with a much more developed transit system than Vancouver, but I don't know if it is realistic to rely mostly on public transportation when we have to go around with a stroller, or if we can live in a place where everything is at a walkable distance. I'm also not a big fan of more than 1h or commute each way (I'd rather spend my time with my wife and kid), which is why we'd prefer to live not too far from my work. We are ok to live in a decent 2BR apartment/flat (is that realistic in that area with my salary)?.

There is one important thing that I didn't mention about myself... I'm from France and I have my brother and his wife living in London, and my sister living with her husband and newborn child in Paris (2h30 away by Eurostar). This is a BIG plus for me and that's why I'm really tempted to accept the offer. However, there is a good reason why I emigrated to Vancouver... I was living in Paris before and didn't like it at all. I've never lived in London and I don't know about the lifestyle there, whether it's a bit better than Paris... A big difference though is that I will be making much more in London than I was making in Paris at that time, which will certainly help make life easier/better.

As far as my wife is concerned, she would be very happy to move there too. She would look after our child and complete her BA in English Lit (which she started 10 years ago, but couldn't complete for various reasons). She's from Singapore and there are direct flights from London. She's like me, a bit worried about all the changes and trying to figure out what we should expect. A big advantage is that we would no longer have to choose between going to France or Singapore each year, since France is so close that we can just go there for a week-end. She's pretty happy about that!

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate. By reading your messages, I'm feeling confident that this move is not gonna be as bad as we initially thought.

Cheers.
Pros
1) Family nearby
2) Good career move
3) International experience is a big plus on your resume
4) More money and IMO (having lived for 5 years in London and 5 years in Vancouver) on that salary you'll be better off in London.
5) Experience of living in London - its an amazing city

Cons
1) London is big & crowded city - some like it, some hate it. For me, well I loved living there but wouldn't want to move back to central London. I would live and work in the suburbs but wouldn't want to live in suburbs and commute to the city.
2) If you move and hate it, its very hard to move back - especially with the economy as is
3) You will miss Vancouver - plain and simple. We relocated in May and I really miss the atmosphere downtown, the mountains, the up coming ski season....

A tough decision

When's the baby due and when would you be moving?
Old Nov 16th 2010, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Makaya is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rob_999
Pros
1) Family nearby
2) Good career move
3) International experience is a big plus on your resume
4) More money and IMO (having lived for 5 years in London and 5 years in Vancouver) on that salary you'll be better off in London.
5) Experience of living in London - its an amazing city

Cons
1) London is big & crowded city - some like it, some hate it. For me, well I loved living there but wouldn't want to move back to central London. I would live and work in the suburbs but wouldn't want to live in suburbs and commute to the city.
2) If you move and hate it, its very hard to move back - especially with the economy as is
3) You will miss Vancouver - plain and simple. We relocated in May and I really miss the atmosphere downtown, the mountains, the up coming ski season....

A tough decision

When's the baby due and when would you be moving?
You have perfectly summarized my thoughts!

The baby is due on Feb 17. I'm going to London two weeks in December and two weeks in January. The baby will be born in Vancouver and we'll probably move shortly after (late March?).

The big risk for me, as you mentioned, is to move there and not like it. Chances for me to get back to my current position are minimal (but not impossible). If I wasn't enjoying my life here as much, the decision wouldn't be so difficult!

On the other hand, looking at the big picture, it's a good career move. Vancouver is great, but job opportunities are fairly limited in my field and, if I do well in London, I would certainly get better career opportunities.

As you said, tough decision...
Old Nov 16th 2010, 6:38 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I just had a look on line at rents in and around Ealing. I used to live near there and commuted into London on the Central line. At the time I worked on Cheapside. I am not suggesting this is the only area to look at but I know it is a decent area to live in.

You can get a decent looking 2 bedroom flat within walking distance, or a short bus ride, of a tube station for around £1,700 pm. Would council tax, utilities, travel pass and groceries come to more than £1,300 a month? If not, it will leave the OP with around £1,000 in disposable income. Seems plenty to me.

Oh, and cell phones are dirt cheap compared to Vancouver.
Yep lots of disposable income.

We walked past this one at the weekend (Zone 5/6). Great location, near great public transport (about 35/40 minutes to Hyde Park)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-17170455.html

This one has great transport links into the city and outside.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-17226429.html

Both £1600 per month. There are also some great 2 bedroom options for around the £1200 mark if you really want to save.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 6:52 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

You have perfectly summarized my thoughts!

The baby is due on Feb 17. I'm going to London two weeks in December and two weeks in January. The baby will be born in Vancouver and we'll probably move shortly after (late March?).

The big risk for me, as you mentioned, is to move there and not like it. Chances for me to get back to my current position are minimal (but not impossible). If I wasn't enjoying my life here as much, the decision wouldn't be so difficult!

On the other hand, looking at the big picture, it's a good career move. Vancouver is great, but job opportunities are fairly limited in my field and, if I do well in London, I would certainly get better career opportunities.

As you said, tough decision...
That timing's going to be tough. Doing an international move with a one month old - yikes! You'll get though it though so don't let that put you off - but you'll need a back up plan in case baby is late, or your wife (or you!) has a hard time adjusting to life as a parent..

On your two visits make sure you get out and look at areas to live etc. I liked the North West - check out Maida Vale, there are some great mansion block apartments near the tube and is easy travel to the paddington area.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 7:44 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo

We walked past this one at the weekend (Zone 5/6). Great location, near great public transport (about 35/40 minutes to Hyde Park)

Both £1600 per month. There are also some great 2 bedroom options for around the £1200 mark if you really want to save.
Nice. I used to live on Richmond Road/St Albans Road near to the river. Great 2 bed garden flat. Thought about moving back to Kingston earlier this year, good part of the world.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 8:00 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

As far as my wife is concerned, she would be very happy to move there too. She would look after our child and complete her BA in English Lit (which she started 10 years ago, but couldn't complete for various reasons). She's from Singapore and there are direct flights from London. She's like me, a bit worried about all the changes and trying to figure out what we should expect. A big advantage is that we would no longer have to choose between going to France or Singapore each year, since France is so close that we can just go there for a week-end. She's pretty happy about that!
Con

No TnT stores. Things may have changed but it was Chinatown (much smaller than Vancouver's) or Wing Yip's on the North Circular or Purley Way. Neither of the latter easy to get to without a car.

Is there a forum for Singaporeans living in the UK. If so it might be a good idea for your OH to check this. Central London will be no problem - lots of faces from lots of places - but as you get towards the outskirts and into the countryside you can find a level of racial stereotyping and prejudice that would be outrageous in Vancouver. That said, it is a while since we left so hopefully things are changing for the better.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Thought about moving back to Kingston earlier this year, good part of the world.
Thats where I lived and I wouldn't describe it as a particularly "good part of the world". Very average and full of snooty people!

Oh and people who don't leave you alone on the highstreet. I actually hated walking down the highstreet for the amount of pestering I got and tried to avoid that area entirely.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 9:06 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Thats where I lived and I wouldn't describe it as a particularly "good part of the world". Very average
And you now live in Surrey, BC? Each to their own.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Well I agree it is a case of each to their own. Every time I went away when I lived there I felt I could finally breathe and enjoy myself. Perhaps it was just psychological but I never really took to the place. I've just been to many other places in England and Europe that I would be much more likely to hand the title of "good part of the world" to than Kingston, that was just the reason for my reaction, apologies if it seemed a bit harsh.

It's one of the nicest parts of London though I'll give you that.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 11:58 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
By affordability Vancouver is more expensive than London. This is a verifiable fact - look it up.
That is only relevant when including buying real estate. Renting is a lot more in London than Vancouver, which is more comparable to a provincial city than London.

That being said, 74 k will more than balance out the diff between the two
Old Nov 17th 2010, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by el_richo

hardly affordable when you add in council tax and principal bills (included here in rent). You can pay here but if the OP is after saving some money paying halfh is income on rent will not help much.

Last edited by dboy; Nov 17th 2010 at 12:02 am.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 12:27 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
That is only relevant when including buying real estate. Renting is a lot more in London than Vancouver, which is more comparable to a provincial city than London.

That being said, 74 k will more than balance out the diff between the two
Yes, rents are cheap here (relative to buying). That comment was in the context of dispelling the idea of needing 120k to be able to afford to live in London.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 12:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

According to a piece on the BBC tonight about the launch of French Radio London, there are 400,000 francophones living in South Kensington; the largest foreign speaking minority in London. Perhaps it would suit the OP to look at living there.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yes, rents are cheap here (relative to buying). That comment was in the context of dispelling the idea of needing 120k to be able to afford to live in London.
yes....even with higher rents, 74 k in London is a good wage.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 7:19 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
hardly affordable when you add in council tax and principal bills (included here in rent). You can pay here but if the OP is after saving some money paying halfh is income on rent will not help much.
I based these on JonboyE's pricing of £1700. As i also mentioned, you can rent a very nice 2 bed place for under £1200 in a well connected area.

It all depends on the amount the OP is paying now i guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.