Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver vs Calgary

Vancouver vs Calgary

Old Aug 27th 2019, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

miss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver vs Calgary

Originally Posted by sun burnt in aus
Vancouver - about 3.5% unemployment and steady
Calgary - about 7% unemployment and going up

Vancouver is on the rising slope of the business cycle
Calgary is on the down slope of the business cycle

Vancouver - brutally expensive for housing
Calgary - very affordable by comparison

Vancouver - Medium length winters that are not so cold but it's a wet winter so the milder humid temps go straight to the bone
Calgary - Long winters that are very cold, but it's a dry cold and easy to fend off

Vancouver - Skying till 11pm just at the back of North Van
Calgary - Skying about 2 hours away

Vancouver - crowded, convoluted roads, harder to get around
Calgary - not nearly as crowded, very structure easy to get around roads

Vancouver - Pretty snobbish and complain a lot, the heart of not in my backyard country
Calgary - People come across as more positive and upbeat and live and let live

We're leaving Queensland and heading to Canada and at the moment Alberta is our choice. In Alberta we will be able to own the house outright with a couple garages and have some distance from the neighbours if we sell here, and have many thousands left over. Or if we keep the house here, the rent will cover well over 3/4 of the mortgage. Vancouver, renting a 1 bedroom condo will cost more than a mortgage for a 4 bed house in Edmonton or Calgary. I truly don't know how anyone with a normal wage can afford to live in Vancouver.

The only caveat to Alberta is the different spots on the business cycle that they both occupy. I have a brother in-law that is going to hand me a job anywhere in BC or Alberta that I choose (I think his wife has said do whatever it takes to get us to Canada, or you're sleeping on the couch for the rest of your life LOL) so I will be pretty immune to labour issues gripping Alberta. So for me it's an easy choice - Alberta. But if you have a job that's sensitive to such swings in the economy (building or oil and gas), you'll need to think hard about it.

Your Mileage May Vary
Hope it all goes well with your move to Calgary, Sun burnt in auz!
Old Aug 28th 2019, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Hi again! Welcome back.. long time no see... sorry to barge in but I wanted to mention a couple of things.

You obtain PR around September/December 2016 if I recall correctly - but relocated back to the UK after a short period of time - how long did you actually spend in Ontario and can you meet your residency requirements by moving back to Canada this autumn? (2 years out of 5, rolling, from the date of landing.

I seem to remember that you landed and became a Permanent Resident as an Ontario Provincial Nominee? (your post: Question about passport request for COPR )

IF you were nominated for PR through Ontario PNP (EE / EE - Human Capital as a Pharmacist?) then the requirement and expectation is to live and work in Ontario for at least a couple of years to show proof that you have made a concerted effort to settle - have you met that requirement if you were only in Toronto for a short time before returning to the UK? Moving to another Province without doing so could result in you losing your PR status under Misrepresentation. [INDENT]5. Intention to live in Ontario
Two points I would make:
1. The Charter of Rights and Freedoms states that permanent residents have the right to move to any province and work in any province.
2. A search of published court decisions shows 0 cases related to PR being removed for not residing in the province of nomination. By contrast, there are numerous cases where PR was not granted because CIC/IRCC or the province didn't think the applicant had the intent to reside in the province of nomination or the applicant couldn't prove that they would be able to successfully establish themselves in the province of nomination. This to me says that revoking of PR in this way just does not happen and that you are much more likely to be denied PR. (If I have missed a case, let me know, would be interested to read it).

OINP only talks about intent to reside which is extremely subjective. I think the OP has demonstrated that they did have the intent by moving to Ontario, couldn't find suitable work after 6 months and would now like to exercise their rights as a PR to reside in a different province.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 11:40 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
Two points I would make:
1. The Charter of Rights and Freedoms states that permanent residents have the right to move to any province and work in any province.
2. A search of published court decisions shows 0 cases related to PR being removed for not residing in the province of nomination. By contrast, there are numerous cases where PR was not granted because CIC/IRCC or the province didn't think the applicant had the intent to reside in the province of nomination or the applicant couldn't prove that they would be able to successfully establish themselves in the province of nomination. This to me says that revoking of PR in this way just does not happen and that you are much more likely to be denied PR. (If I have missed a case, let me know, would be interested to read it).

OINP only talks about intent to reside which is extremely subjective. I think the OP has demonstrated that they did have the intent by moving to Ontario, couldn't find suitable work after 6 months and would now like to exercise their rights as a PR to reside in a different province.
It's a bit more involved than "gave it a go for 6 months" and then "looking at a different province," there's a rather large gap between the two in that there was a return to the UK, however good a reason, which has thrown the whole meeting the residence requirement in doubt.

The issue may now be more about whether that minimum period can or will be met, because there's really not much time to play with and if there's already been one aborted attempt previously, no reason to think it will work out better in Vancouver, nothing arranged to even have reasons for optimism and the OP might be relying on an individual officer at best.

It's not so much a decision on residing in the nominated province that would concern me but how much that and other aspects of what the OP has said might influence the decision on whether the residency requirement would be met.

I did read somewhere that it's not just meeting that requirement that's considered but the likelihood of someone meeting it. If that's wrong, all well and good, but if it's accurate, there's too much at risk in my mind and I wouldn't chance it until at least succeeding with getting back in.

That search of published court decisions, presumably only includes negative decisions that have been challenged. What of those who don't?
Old Aug 28th 2019, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's a bit more involved than "gave it a go for 6 months" and then "looking at a different province," there's a rather large gap between the two in that there was a return to the UK, however good a reason, which has thrown the whole meeting the residence requirement in doubt.
Is it?

The issue may now be more about whether that minimum period can or will be met, because there's really not much time to play with and if there's already been one aborted attempt previously, no reason to think it will work out better in Vancouver, nothing arranged to even have reasons for optimism and the OP might be relying on an individual officer at best.
What's the minimum period? There's no reference to it in an OINP docs that I can find, the regulation governing OINP only talks about "intent to reside" and the charter grants rights that cannot be infringed upon. I keep seeing 2 years mentioned (not just here but other forums too) and I've no idea where this came from.

It's not so much a decision on residing in the nominated province that would concern me but how much that and other aspects of what the OP has said might influence the decision on whether the residency requirement would be met.

I did read somewhere that it's not just meeting that requirement that's considered but the likelihood of someone meeting it. If that's wrong, all well and good, but if it's accurate, there's too much at risk in my mind and I wouldn't chance it until at least succeeding with getting back in.
Generally speaking there only needs to be enough days left for the PR to meet the requirement, I don't think CBSA do any subjective judgement around RO.

That search of published court decisions, presumably only includes negative decisions that have been challenged. What of those who don't?
Well my point was that if the practice is widespread (or indeed happened at all), I would expect to see at least one court case related to it. As there isn't even one, I suspect it doesn't happen at all.

Last edited by bc2015; Aug 28th 2019 at 1:52 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 2:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
Is it?
Is it more than doing 6 months and then considering another province? Considering there's been more time spent out of Canada than in Canada as PR, I'd say it is.
Well my point was that if the practice is widespread (or indeed happened at all), I would expect to see at least one court case related to it. As there isn't even one, I suspect it doesn't happen at all.
I'm not sure anyone suggested it was widespread, just that it wasn't worth the risk of losing PR.

I'd be curious to know how many people refused or losing PR go on to appeal. I would imagine it would be a minority, in which case a lack of court cases wouldn't really indicate how often it might happen.

Perhaps FL could enlighten us.

Old Sep 13th 2019, 11:35 pm
Oscar nominated

Weather is terrible during winter typically rainy and miserable and everybody has colds like in the UK. ...
Its generally very dry in Vancouver during summer and nice temps. However nowhere has AC...
People in Vancouver are miserable...
Self entitled also springs to mind.
Lots of asians and with that comes terrible driving...
Lots of proud Canucks here in Calgary too. Sure there is the occasional tool but nothing like Vancouver.
Parody account?
Old Sep 13th 2019, 11:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lukesmith2

People in Vancouver are miserable, very American in my head.
I'm not a fan of Vancouver but this doesn't ring true to me. I think people who live in Vancouver are ecstatic to be in Vancouver, they know they're a little above all those people who don't live in Vancouver. They're unconcerned with driving because the west coast lifestyle has given them the thighs to bicycle everywhere with their umpteen children in trailers. Covered trailers; always people who live in Vancouver send pictures of umbrellas and canopies and the like.

Also, Americans are not, by and large, miserable. Arrogant perhaps, over-confident maybe, but full of enthusiasm a boisterous, buoyant bunch.