Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver vs Calgary

Vancouver vs Calgary

Old Aug 14th 2019, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver vs Calgary

If I was the OP I would be answering the following questions

1. If you are a PR of Canada what date did you land and have you or can you meet the 730 day residency obligation?
2. If Yes then where will you be living bearing in mind if you obtained it via the Ontario PNP?
3.If NO then on returning to Canada what would you do if reported by CBSA and issued with a conditional removal order?
4. If reported would you be appealing the removal order and what if any mitigating circumstances are there for you to retain your PR status.

Once those are answered then Vancouver or Calgary might well not be an option.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

miss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Hi again! Welcome back.. long time no see... sorry to barge in but I wanted to mention a couple of things.

You obtain PR around September/December 2016 if I recall correctly - but relocated back to the UK after a short period of time - how long did you actually spend in Ontario and can you meet your residency requirements by moving back to Canada this autumn? (2 years out of 5, rolling, from the date of landing.

I seem to remember that you landed and became a Permanent Resident as an Ontario Provincial Nominee? (your post: Question about passport request for COPR )

IF you were nominated for PR through Ontario PNP (EE / EE - Human Capital as a Pharmacist?) then the requirement and expectation is to live and work in Ontario for at least a couple of years to show proof that you have made a concerted effort to settle - have you met that requirement if you were only in Toronto for a short time before returning to the UK? Moving to another Province without doing so could result in you losing your PR status under Misrepresentation.
5. Intention to live in Ontario

You must intend to live in Ontario after you’re granted permanent residence. We determine this by examining your ties to Ontario, which can include things like:

working or have worked in Ontario
getting job offers or applying/ interviewing for jobs
studying
volunteering
leasing or owning property
visiting
having professional networks and affiliations, family ties and personal relationships

and

6.1 Condition(s) of Nomination
Your nomination is subject to the following condition:
1. You must continue to demonstrate on a reasonable basis an intention to reside in Ontario.
Certification / Licensing for a Pharmacist is Provincial - if you decided not to use your qualifications then have you considered working for one of the pharmeutical companies (of which there are many in the GTA) either in an advisory capacity or perhaps in sales or QA? Again, if you applied under PNP EE - Human Capital then the expectation would be that you would work as a Pharmacist - which I think might also be an issue if you have/ had no intention of working as a pharmacist but received Permanent Residency through a stream where your profession was the reason for it being granted.

Calling Christmasoompa / Snowy / FL for advice :

Thanks Siouxie. Yeah it's been a while since I've been here. I landed in Toronto September 2016, and stayed for 6 months and did a survival job whilst I was there since I found it hard to find suitable work. I had looked into getting me licensing there, but realised that it wasn't going to be practical to live in Toronto and do this, as i worked out it would take minimum of two years and quite a lot of money to do all the exams, and that's if I passed them the first time round. Meanwhile the cost of living in Toronto was high enough itself without the expenses of the exams. I had swayed between whether I should just grin and bear it and try and to my licensing, or find an alternative related career. In the end I have more or less decided that I would find something else related that wouldn't require licensing. Then I went home intending to visit family back in the UK for a short period of time, but then my family member became ill, so I ended up staying in the UK to help look after her and help at home, and stayed as I knew she wasn't going to get better.

But now, I'll be come back to Canada, which I know is leaving it quite tight for time for meeting the requirements of residing in the country. But on reflecting the costs of living in Toronto, I made the decision to try elsewhere. I looked outside of Toronto, though the places I'd like to go to are just as expensive. There were other places I looked into which I thought would be nice, but are further out and I'm not sure if I would find work without having a long commute, or what the job market would be like. I know Vancouver isn't any cheaper, but it was the other place I have been to before and seemed a bug enough city for the possibility of work. I don't think I'd live in Vancouver forever and haven't ruled out the possibility that I'd move back to Ontario, but felt for now, Toronto was too expensive, and I found it a struggle to find suitable work, with the competition being very high, and commutes around the GTA take a long time. But in the meantime, as I've not found somewhere else in Ontario I'd move to, I have gone for Vancouver. But I wouldn't say that I'd not move back to Ontario, since I know Vancouver will be another expensive city to live in.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miss_mp
Thanks Siouxie. Yeah it's been a while since I've been here. I landed in Toronto September 2016, and stayed for 6 months and did a survival job whilst I was there since I found it hard to find suitable work. I had looked into getting me licensing there, but realised that it wasn't going to be practical to live in Toronto and do this, as i worked out it would take minimum of two years and quite a lot of money to do all the exams, and that's if I passed them the first time round. Meanwhile the cost of living in Toronto was high enough itself without the expenses of the exams. I had swayed between whether I should just grin and bear it and try and to my licensing, or find an alternative related career. In the end I have more or less decided that I would find something else related that wouldn't require licensing. Then I went home intending to visit family back in the UK for a short period of time, but then my family member became ill, so I ended up staying in the UK to help look after her and help at home, and stayed as I knew she wasn't going to get better.

But now, I'll be come back to Canada, which I know is leaving it quite tight for time for meeting the requirements of residing in the country. But on reflecting the costs of living in Toronto, I made the decision to try elsewhere. I looked outside of Toronto, though the places I'd like to go to are just as expensive. There were other places I looked into which I thought would be nice, but are further out and I'm not sure if I would find work without having a long commute, or what the job market would be like. I know Vancouver isn't any cheaper, but it was the other place I have been to before and seemed a bug enough city for the possibility of work. I don't think I'd live in Vancouver forever and haven't ruled out the possibility that I'd move back to Ontario, but felt for now, Toronto was too expensive, and I found it a struggle to find suitable work, with the competition being very high, and commutes around the GTA take a long time. But in the meantime, as I've not found somewhere else in Ontario I'd move to, I have gone for Vancouver. But I wouldn't say that I'd not move back to Ontario, since I know Vancouver will be another expensive city to live in.
I honestly do not see how things will be any better in Vancouver. I would say it is on par with if not a little more expensive than Toronto especially with housing costs. What differences are you expecting in Vancouver that will solve the situation you found yourself in in Toronto?

If you gained PR via Ontario PNP and then only spent 6 months there before returning to UK then I think you would be taking a big risk in returning to Canada to a province other than Ontario. You could be risking your PR status. How about other, cheeper areas of Ontario.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

miss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Very easy, there are two Skytrain stations there, and the west coast express. There are some employment options in Port Moody, more than a typical suburb, but it is quite a small town overall.

Yeah, this is true. You can reduce your living costs by finding roommates though, this might help you afford to study/pay fees. You don't want to throw away a highly skilled job if you can avoid it as long gaps and "slumming it" in unskilled work on a resume can be hard to explain in an interview.

New Westminster in the downtown area (Columbia Street) is a little rough, but the rest it is fairly decent actually. Metrotown is a mixed bag, the main issue there is it's quite busy and a lot of the affordable residential buildings are a bit old and tired which is why they are cheaper. The main area to avoid is the Downtown East Side (DTES) in Vancouver where there is a lot of crime and open drug use. Parts of North Surrey (Whalley/Gateway) have a negative rep as well, though these areas aren't too bad if you're in an apartment several floors up - just don't get a ground floor unit, you will be broken into.
Thanks CanadaJimmy for your tips and advice, much appreciated.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If I was the OP I would be answering the following questions

1. If you are a PR of Canada what date did you land and have you or can you meet the 730 day residency obligation?
2. If Yes then where will you be living bearing in mind if you obtained it via the Ontario PNP?
3.If NO then on returning to Canada what would you do if reported by CBSA and issued with a conditional removal order?
4. If reported would you be appealing the removal order and what if any mitigating circumstances are there for you to retain your PR status.

Once those are answered then Vancouver or Calgary might well not be an option.
Being out of the country for so long is something I have been worried about, and do still worry about when I re-enter into Canada next month. I know it has been a long time, and had left initially with the intention of visiting family for a few months and then returning. But with circumstance with family member's health and then bereavement, I've not done so until now. I think I should still be able to meet the 730 day residency if I stay in the country when I return.

However my intention was not to leave and move to a different procaine when i go back, as I have been intending to return to Toronto. But recently made up my mind that it is getting very expensive to live there, and competitive to find suitable work . I have looked into other places within Ontario but am not sure about some of them, and others were just as expensive. And so I resorted to Vancouver, since I can't think of anywhere else I'd like to relocate to within Ontario just now. Realistically I can't imagine myself living in Vancouver long term or for too long a period of time with the living cost, and the chances are that I would probable move back to Ontario after. As a PNP can you reside short term out of the province and then move back at later date, if your plan os to only be out of Ontario for short-term?
Old Aug 15th 2019, 3:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Being out of the country for so long is something I have been worried about, and do still worry about when I re-enter into Canada next month. I know it has been a long time, and had left initially with the intention of visiting family for a few months and then returning. But with circumstance with family member's health and then bereavement, I've not done so until now. I think I should still be able to meet the 730 day residency if I stay in the country when I return.

However my intention was not to leave and move to a different procaine when i go back, as I have been intending to return to Toronto. But recently made up my mind that it is getting very expensive to live there, and competitive to find suitable work . I have looked into other places within Ontario but am not sure about some of them, and others were just as expensive. And so I resorted to Vancouver, since I can't think of anywhere else I'd like to relocate to within Ontario just now. Realistically I can't imagine myself living in Vancouver long term or for too long a period of time with the living cost, and the chances are that I would probable move back to Ontario after. As a PNP can you reside short term out of the province and then move back at later date, if your plan os to only be out of Ontario for short-term?
Your idea of moving to Vancouver makes no sense to me. People in Toronto look aghast at the cost of living/potential income equation in Vancouver. In the case of the Vancouver resident I know, their household income would increase by about a third if they moved to do the same jobs with the same employers in Toronto or Ottawa. I think that to make Vancouver work you need to want to live there to the extent of being willing to give up a lot in terms of living standard; it's not clear to me that you have a great deal to give up. And, of course, you wouldn't be quite legal there anyway.

Old Aug 15th 2019, 3:31 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Your idea of moving to Vancouver makes no sense to me. People in Toronto look aghast at the cost of living/potential income equation in Vancouver. In the case of the Vancouver resident I know, their household income would increase by about a third if they moved to do the same jobs with the same employers in Toronto or Ottawa. I think that to make Vancouver work you need to want to live there to the extent of being willing to give up a lot in terms of living standard; it's not clear to me that you have a great deal to give up. And, of course, you wouldn't be quite legal there anyway.
I’m not really sure how the PNP program works or what the rules are, but I’d have thought the expectation would live in the province that sponsored you. Are there penalties for not doing so?
Old Aug 15th 2019, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad

I honestly do not see how things will be any better in Vancouver. I would say it is on par with if not a little more expensive than Toronto especially with housing costs. What differences are you expecting in Vancouver that will solve the situation you found yourself in in Toronto?

If you gained PR via Ontario PNP and then only spent 6 months there before returning to UK then I think you would be taking a big risk in returning to Canada to a province other than Ontario. You could be risking your PR status. How about other, cheeper areas of Ontario.
To be honest, I really don't know what to expect in Vancouver, other than the winter is not as cold, when I'll be arriving back with winter coming up. I have thought about where else I can move to if it wasn't Toronto. I had looked into Ottawa, Burlington, Oakville, but they are expensive too. With Oakville and Burlington, I think I'd have to commute to likely Toronto to get work. I wasn't so sure about the other cities I looked into (Windsor, Oshawa, Waterloo areas), and I'd prefer southern Ontario where the winter isn't as harsh. Vancouver and Montreal are the only two other cities in Canada I've been to that I have an idea of, and so I've went for Vancouver. I've not intentionally chosen to move out of Ontario, but really cannot think of where else within Ontario I'd like to move to after Toronto.

My problem now is that I've just booked my flights to Vancouver two days ago while flights were on sale and so I'm a bit stuck with changing now.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

I know you're right dbd33, but my problem is now that I've just booked my flights to Vancouver two days ago. Not a wise decision i know.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 4:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike

I’m not really sure how the PNP program works or what the rules are, but I’d have thought the expectation would live in the province that sponsored you. Are there penalties for not doing so?
I'd guess that, if you moved from the sponsoring Province, the authorities would tut at you but you'd probably face no practical sanction. Moving to BC from the UK on the basis of an immigrant program in ON seems ambitious to me.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 4:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I know you're right dbd33, but my problem is now that I've just booked my flights to Vancouver two days ago. Not a wise decision i know.
Too late now then. If it's a return ticket you can say it's a holiday. If it's a one way ticket you'll have to claim that you're visiting someone and then catching a bus to Ontario.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Too late now then. If it's a return ticket you can say it's a holiday. If it's a one way ticket you'll have to claim that you're visiting someone and then catching a bus to Ontario.

I know it's not the wisest decision I've made and probably too hastily with thinking that I'll book flights while the sale was on. It is a one way flight, and I know that if i tried to change it now, it would make the cheap flight cheap no more
Old Aug 15th 2019, 4:56 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

As has been explained upthread - with links - you are REQUIRED as a Provincial Nominee to reside and work in Ontario.. until such time as you can prove beyond doubt that you have made every effort to settle in Ontario... usually around 2 years. Plus if you gained PNP due to your profession, you may find failing to procede with your profession in Ontario that questions may arise.

If you don't, you are risking losing your PR status for misrepresentation.

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike

Yes, withdrawal of PNP and loss of PR!

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 15th 2019 at 4:59 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
As has been explained upthread - with links - you are REQUIRED as a Provincial Nominee to reside and work in Ontario.. until such time as you can prove beyond doubt that you have made every effort to settle in Ontario... usually around 2 years. Plus if you gained PNP due to your profession, you may find failing to procede with your profession in Ontario that questions may arise.

If you don't, you are risking losing your PR status for misrepresentation.

Yes, withdrawal of PNP and loss of PR!

I understand. My problem now is I've already booked my flights the other day for Vancouver :-/
Old Aug 15th 2019, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

I understand. My problem now is I've already booked my flights the other day for Vancouver :-/
the consequences of changing the flights pales in comparison with losing your PR status.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.