Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver- unexpected turn of events

Vancouver- unexpected turn of events

Old Jun 25th 2012, 9:20 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver- unexpected turn of events

Originally Posted by chillingincanada
You sure make me laugh with your comments.
why? he's totally accurate.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

chillingincanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
why? he's totally accurate.
PMSL and the disease is spreading.........
Old Jun 25th 2012, 10:11 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chillingincanada
PMSL and the disease is spreading.........
Aaaaah, do you live in The Ridge by any chance?

If so, you'll agree with me on all counts then

Happy to help
Old Jun 25th 2012, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

chillingincanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by el_richo
Aaaaah, do you live in The Ridge by any chance?

If so, you'll agree with me on all counts then

Happy to help
I still have my British sense of humour and you give me lots of giggles
Old Jun 25th 2012, 10:16 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware Maple Ridge is a VERY long commute if the work is downtown. It's also not the nicest of areas in the Lower Mainland.

Cheaper property though and it has some nice areas in the outlying areas if you want rural and lots of land.
That's an understatement.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 10:17 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
That's an understatement.
It's like a chavvy version of Hull, only with trucks, a Tim Hortons, and a serial cat mutilator
Old Jun 25th 2012, 10:20 pm
Beep

Bruce's Maket does some nice stuff though
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:31 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

It's like a chavvy version of Hull, only with trucks, a Tim Hortons, and a serial cat mutilator
turned out to be a coyote
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:32 pm

Bruce's Maket does some nice stuff though
they had a nice looking little thai restaurant?

We went to the ridge timmies a few times. Lots of middle aged men showing ass crack.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 4:18 pm
Beep

they had a nice looking little thai restaurant?

We went to the ridge timmies a few times. Lots of middle aged men showing ass crack.
No, Bruce's Market used to be a seafood market that's now turned into a nice little mini supermarket with an eating area. It's still seafood heavy and oh so fresh and lovely. They supply lots of Granville Island and Whole Foods.

It's on the Loughead and 240th

Their Salmon Chowder is lovely

Shame the rest of the area's a shithole.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 4:21 pm

No, Bruce's Market used to be a seafood market that's now turned into a nice little mini supermarket with an eating area. It's still seafood heavy and oh so fresh and lovely. They supply lots of Granville Island and Whole Foods.

It's on the Loughead and 240th

Their Salmon Chowder is lovely

Shame the rest of the area's a shithole.
sorry..the thai place is on the main drag bit. It looked nice but a wee bit lonely sitting by itself surrounded by semi-urbanized waste-land.

The Ridge isn't bad, all things considering. I especially like the condo buildings they've put up along Lougheed so people there have the option of urban walkable living - though i'm not sure how walkable the side of a main highway really is, but hey.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 4:30 pm
Beep

sorry..the thai place is on the main drag bit. It looked nice but a wee bit lonely sitting by itself surrounded by semi-urbanized waste-land.

The Ridge isn't bad, all things considering. I especially like the condo buildings they've put up along Lougheed so people there have the option of urban walkable living - though i'm not sure how walkable the side of a main highway really is, but hey.
Oh i'm not sure. I find it too depressing wandering around the centre and surrounding areas (especially near that halfway house type facility near the Haney Bypass).

The place is just one huge sprawl of strip malls, car dealerships, tightly built subdivisions, trailer parks, and larger lots with what seems to be a breakers yard in each front garden.

Garibaldi is a nice school though, so that's a good thing.

The negativity coupled with a 1.5hr commute downtown in rush hr is all a bit much.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

freegirlscot is an unknown quantity at this point

I am excited for you! I was born in Vancouver, but raised primarily on Vancouver Island. I have a huge bias toward BC in general. Vancouver is gorgeous and cleaner than Toronto. There is plenty to do by my standard, both outdoors and indoors. Given the choice, however, I would for myself consider even living in Victoria or Nanaimo and doing a ferry commute to work in Vancouver IF my work was close to the ferry terminal. That's extreme for some people and lovely to others. Keep an open mind; I have a feeling you'll have a happy ending

If settling in Vancouver, I like North Vancouver. I was raised in Lynn Valley and loved it. Very expensive.

Last edited by freegirlscot; Jun 27th 2012 at 4:52 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 5:00 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by freegirlscot
Given the choice, however, I would for myself consider even living in Victoria or Nanaimo and doing a ferry commute to work in Vancouver IF my work was close to the ferry terminal. That's extreme for some people and lovely to others.
That's a VERY expensive, and EXTREMELY long commute. You'd be crazy to do that if you had a choice.

Time to commute to terminal
30 mins waiting at terminal
1.5hr to 2hr ferry ride
Time to commute to place of work

Daily Cost = $140 return plus parking, plus fuel.

Daily Commute time = 6hrs ish

I guess it would be cheaper BUT longer if you could walk on and use public transit.

Are you mad?
Old Jul 7th 2012, 6:36 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

That's a VERY expensive, and EXTREMELY long commute. You'd be crazy to do that if you had a choice.

Time to commute to terminal
30 mins waiting at terminal
1.5hr to 2hr ferry ride
Time to commute to place of work

Daily Cost = $140 return plus parking, plus fuel.

Daily Commute time = 6hrs ish

I guess it would be cheaper BUT longer if you could walk on and use public transit.

Are you mad?
Might be feasible by float plane though: 20 mins / $65 each way, IF you lived close to the float plane base at one end and worked near the other.

We're moving to Vancouver very soon and considering a weekend home in Nanaimo, plus renting a small condo in Vancouver. Have a feeling this would not be a good time to buy in Vancouver.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.