Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver- unexpected turn of events

Vancouver- unexpected turn of events

Old Jun 22nd 2012, 2:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver- unexpected turn of events

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
One could also say the TO market is also out of whack as well
Expect that people are paid relatively well in Toronto.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Very true but if you then did a search using Winnipeg, Windsor, and Regina then those results would make Calgary seem out of whack.
I guess its what you can afford or be willing to pay depending where that job is. I can work anywhere in Canada if I wanted to all at the same salary so if given the choice Im gonna live where I feel that is affordable to me.
A $67,000 salary only buys you so much
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 2:48 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
No way near to the same extent:

If you enter the following criteria in MLS for Vancouver, Toronto (GTA) and Calgary, the results are massively different.

Residential 3 or more bedrooms, 2 or more bathrooms.
Price range: $300k to $600k

Calgary: 3133 properties meet that criteria
GTA: 663 properties
Vancouver: 107 properties
vancouver is skewed though due to the city proper. Outside the city, prices aren't that bad, at least relative to vancouver. Our house which we bought 6 months ago was not much over 600 k (and we live in one of the more expensive burbs). Same house in Vancouver would be close to triple the price.

in the campbell river valley (45 mins from vancouver) you can get 5 acres for the same as a cheaper city house in vancouver (about 1.3 million)

the further east you go, the prices drop dramatically
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 2:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Very true but if you then did a search using Winnipeg, Windsor, and Regina then those results would make Calgary seem out of whack.
But why would someone moving from the UK look at those places? If you weren't born there and you employer didn't absolutely insist, you'd never consider living there. To someone moving to Vancouver the price of houses in Regina is as relevant as the price of fish in Karachi.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 2:52 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Boy d
vancouver is skewed though due to the city proper. Outside the city, prices aren't that bad, at least relative to vancouver. Our house which we bought 6 months ago was not much over 600 k (and we live in one of the more expensive burbs). Same house in Vancouver would be close to triple the price.

in the campbell river valley (45 mins from vancouver) you can get 5 acres for the same as a cheaper city house in vancouver (about 1.3 million)

the further east you go, the prices drop dramatically
The price gradient tells you how much fun the commute is!
We're moving to Vancouver this year. Rents don't look too bad, but I suspect this might be a bad time to buy.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 2:53 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. I'm glad I live where I live.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 2:56 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vash2009
So we said goodbye to London two weeks ago and headed to Toronto after my OH secured his job.We were excited as Toronto is where our friends and some close family members are located, which is the reason we wanted to live there in the first place.
Low and behold, now the company has advised OH that after some strategy meetings, the department he is assigned to will be located in Vancouver where there is a greater need. (there goes all my research into schools, childcare, and areas to live in TO)

I know nothing of vancouver, never took an interest in it as it was never on my radar except for the Rockies and Whistler .
I know I can go on google and wikipedia etc to get all the info, but i still want some insightful advice from experienced immigrants to Vancouver.

My main challenges are which areas to concentrate on for schools for my 10 year daughter and 3 yr son.
We would like to live on the outskirts as we have a family. (anyone know any good real estate agents who helped them out?)

Is it problematic to get into a school ?
Is there a website that would give me advice on schools performance (like Ofsted in the UK)

What childcare is available? ( initially family members were going to keep my son and do school runs, whilst I concentrate on job hunting)

What do you do for extracurricular activities? (I have to say, there were some posts on Van, which made me so reluctant to go)

I have heard that the weather is no different from the UK ( not very inviting)

I am extremely saddened that I will be so far away from my family again as flights are not cheap to Toronto.

Long and probably waffling post - so apologies for that.
I would love to hear of negative and positive experiences to prepare me for this unexpected turn of events!
In my experience decent childcare is hard, hard, hard to find. A lot of cradles rely on family to fill in the gaps (lucky barstards).

We just use a mum from spawn's school for spawn now. She's really nice but not cheap and in no way qualified or anything. I guess she's more a babysitter. The problem I find is that the daycares with free spots mostly suck, the good daycares didn't have the hours we needed or impossible waitlists, so that leaves stopgaps measures like parents at the school.

Maybe you'll have better luck depending on where you go but childcare sucks here in my experience (and my friends').
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
But why would someone moving from the UK look at those places? If you weren't born there and you employer didn't absolutely insist, you'd never consider living there. To someone moving to Vancouver the price of houses in Regina is as relevant as the price of fish in Karachi.
So which Province has seen the most immigration over the last 3 years?
Im talking percentage and numbers wise? Im talking PNP as well.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 2:57 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

No way near to the same extent:

If you enter the following criteria in MLS for Vancouver, Toronto (GTA) and Calgary, the results are massively different.

Residential 3 or more bedrooms, 2 or more bathrooms.
Price range: $300k to $600k

Calgary: 3133 properties meet that criteria
GTA: 663 properties
Vancouver: 107 properties
You need to compare the GTA to Greater Vancouver, not just Vancouver city.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
You need to compare the GTA to Greater Vancouver, not just Vancouver city.
I did. There were houses as far away as Kelowna in that list.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:12 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

If it wasnt for the cost of housing, I would move to Vancouver yesterday.

It's a beautiful city, and a million times better than Toronto.... IMO.
When talking about property and Vancouver, i think people are often confused with "downtown" prices versus the rest of Greater Vancouver.

We were at a BBQ in Cloverdale last night. A lovely house in the area was recently put up for sale at $599k. It's a 3000sqft+, double garage, large garden, backing onto crown land, near excellent schools, in a safe environment.

To get the equivalent "downtown" you'd be looking at a minimum of $1.5M+

Granted you can get property cheaper in other areas in Canada, and even elsewhere in the lower mainland within driving distance to Downtown Vancouver, the beach, ski mountains, etc.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

So which Province has seen the most immigration over the last 3 years?
Im talking percentage and numbers wise? Im talking PNP as well.
I don't know. The relevant number would be, "how many Brits who had intended to move to Vancouver, were seduced by the charms of Regina and went there instead?".
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:19 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I did. There were houses as far away as Kelowna in that list.
Try searching 1 or more bathrooms. There are a ton of areas here with "old" housing where back in the day, they were hard enough to only have one bathroom in the family

Doing that, the search in the immediate area showing only half the lower mainland has over 2.5k properties between 300k and 600k with 3 or more bedrooms.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

How do average household incomes in the cities quoted compare?

It was my understand (I accept I am now expert on such things) that house prices were way more affordable virtually everywhere east of Vancouver, than in Vancouver itself.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:45 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

If it wasnt for the cost of housing, I would move to Vancouver yesterday.

It's a beautiful city, and a million times better than Toronto.... IMO.
Completely agree, same here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.