Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver / Toronto / London, UK - Opinions Request!

Vancouver / Toronto / London, UK - Opinions Request!

Old Jun 27th 2011, 7:16 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver / Toronto / London, UK - Opinions Request!

Still, If you arent concerned with jobs or income Id say neither Toronto or London can compete with Vancouver for geography/ scenery. I dont think you dont give up too much in terms of social life, as far as canada goes both toronto and vancouver are "A list" cities.

The OP was pretty vague about what they were after anyway. If I had to make a blind move to either of those three I would head west.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:38 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
A little confused that you say you like nightlife but you don't like the pub culture???
Nightlife could include dining out, clubbing, cinema, opera, ballet, theatre, concerts, evening sports.....
Old Jun 28th 2011, 3:28 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Nightlife could include dining out, clubbing, cinema, opera, ballet, theatre, concerts, evening sports.....
True. But all these things can be done in the day too. With the exception of clubbing......
Old Jun 28th 2011, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

MovingToMidEast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I agree with JBE. Toronto or London. This is hard a city to break into/have a social life in if you don't know anyone, I suspect the social life is easier for newbies in the other 2 cities.
thanks for your response! why do you think its a hard city to break into if you dont know anyone? do you live in vancouver? if so, is it more of a bar / pub city or more of a club city..i realize it can be both but i guess i am try to assess the people overalll..also do you find you get bored easily in vancouver due to its size?

thanks again!
Old Jun 28th 2011, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JamesM
A little confused that you say you like nightlife but you don't like the pub culture???

Other than that going on your list:

Social Activities: That's really broad and could be anything so given that it's so broad. Definitely London.

Nightlife:
Definitely London- much better than NYC and San Fran. Certainly better than Toronto and Vancouver.

People: Can't really generalize. There are good and bad people everywhere. Toronto is probably the safest although I'm sure people in Vancouver will come and argue with me despite their "Riot" and "Guncouver" reputation.

Attitudes: Again it depends who you meet. Vancouver is considered to be more laid back than Toronto which is more laid back than London.

I would say your average Londoner is more switched on to global events than your average Torontonian. In Toronto my friends enjoy activity more than nightlife. In London it was the other way round.

I've spent a month in Vancouver but never lived there so no real comment other than you need to make no effort with your appearance when you go out during the day and you'll fit right in.

So forth: I'll put this with the Social Activities. When something is general London will always win as it's the largest city in Europe, Finance capital of the world and a Metropolis as oppose to Toronto and Vancouver which are just larger regional cities with very little commercial influence in the world.

London has more cultural and people based opportunities. Perhaps the Canadian cities offer greater outdoor opportunities depending on your interests. If your interests heavily involve snow sports then Vancouver is the place.
Thanks for your post! yeah i am not really a fan of pubs but more along the lines of wine bars, lounges, etc... from your response it seems that London may be a better fit.. one question though, how does toronto asthetically compare to London. like is it the same style homes, buildings etc or is it completely different
Old Jun 28th 2011, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Yeah no idea when you were in London?..but cant have been in the last 30 years..London doesnt shut down early evenings or sundays..in terms of social life London is a different league to any Canadian city i have been to..in that respect it is similar to NYC..you can go anywhere and do anything you want with anyone you want at any time.
hey i actually was in in london 2 months ago. It was very difficult to find a place open for dinner on sunday and i was in central london!
Old Jun 28th 2011, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Are those your choices? Is this a 'this is where I'm gonna live' type move, or just something for a year or two?

If it's just for a few years then I'd not bother with your list, I'd go to Asia. Tokyo, Hong Kong, Bangkok, or some place like that.
Thanks for your response! why would you suggest living somewhere in asia instead?
Old Jun 28th 2011, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

thank you all for your responses! i guess after hearing everything and doing research on the web i am thinking the choice will be London or Vancouver..from my understanding, Toronto seems to be just another city that can be found in many places whereas London and Vancouver have more unique elements which i prefer!

I hear that vancouver has a very moderate temperature coupled with a lot of rain. so, does the weather in vancouver match londons?

also several people mentioned how small vancouver is. even if its small do you still feel that it has a decent nightlife (clubs, theatre, restaurants, etc).. also if i am not a huge outdoors nuts, will Vancouver still be okay. I definitely admire the beauty of a place but i dont often go hiking, skiing, etc so i guess i am wondering if vancouver will still be okay if i dont partake..
Old Jun 28th 2011, 10:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MovingToMidEast
how does toronto asthetically compare to London.
Very poorly.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 10:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

also several people mentioned how small vancouver is. even if its small do you still feel that it has a decent nightlife (clubs, theatre, restaurants, etc)..
Famously not.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 2:29 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

thank you all for your responses! i guess after hearing everything and doing research on the web i am thinking the choice will be London or Vancouver..from my understanding, Toronto seems to be just another city that can be found in many places whereas London and Vancouver have more unique elements which i prefer!

I hear that vancouver has a very moderate temperature coupled with a lot of rain. so, does the weather in vancouver match londons?

also several people mentioned how small vancouver is. even if its small do you still feel that it has a decent nightlife (clubs, theatre, restaurants, etc).. also if i am not a huge outdoors nuts, will Vancouver still be okay. I definitely admire the beauty of a place but i dont often go hiking, skiing, etc so i guess i am wondering if vancouver will still be okay if i dont partake..
No one knows if it's going to be okay for you or not. You're just going to have to take the risk I guess.

As for nightlife, it's improved enormously over the past 5 years. However Vancouver has a rep. as being rather cliquey....I can't say if that's true or not because I moved here with someone from the city, just something to think about it.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 3:33 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Don't start me.

Vancouver has twice the rain of London. In the fall, particularly, it can persist down. However, whether you get 1/2" or 1" of rain in a day it is still a washout. It doesn't translate into more rainy days and you will get more sunny days and more sunshine that London. If you are used to a British climate the weather in Vancouver is not really an issue. Coming from the Middle East it will be different.

also several people mentioned how small vancouver is. even if its small do you still feel that it has a decent nightlife (clubs, theatre, restaurants, etc)
I am not into the bar and club scene. It is there in a part of Vancouver but my impression is that it is not particularly impressive. No comparison at all to cities like London or New York.

For the Arts in general think of a provincial city in the UK. There are professional ballet, opera, and theater companies, and a professional symphony orchestra. There is also quite a strong artisan movement. If you are open to new work there are plenty of aspiring artists of all genres working in and around Vancouver. They are not all good, but there is energy around.

I forgot about restaurants. There are plenty and lots of variety, and some are very good indeed.

.. also if i am not a huge outdoors nuts, will Vancouver still be okay. I definitely admire the beauty of a place but i dont often go hiking, skiing, etc so i guess i am wondering if vancouver will still be okay if i dont partake..
The outdoors is what makes Vancouver special. If you are not into it then you will quickly tire of the place.

Last edited by JonboyE; Jun 28th 2011 at 5:05 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 3:37 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your response! why would you suggest living somewhere in asia instead?
Why? Because the bigger Asian cities are interesting and fun places to live.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 4:41 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

If you are not into the outdoors I cannot see how Vancouver even figured in your reckoning???
Old Jun 29th 2011, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

well i do enjoy the beauty of the outdoors so thats what is making me consider it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.