Reload this Page >

Vancouver/toronto

Wikiposts

Vancouver/toronto

Old May 17th 2014, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

dodgeroo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vancouver/toronto

Thanks everyone for your encouragement about my trip to canada in June. I'll be giving in my notice at work at the end of next week.

My plan all along was to go to Ontario and be in burlington or somewhere around there. I was also considering waterloo-kitchener, but I know there are limited jobs there and would be competing with people who have Canadian experience.

I'm divided on going to bc or ontario. bc weather would be better for what I'm used to but I've heard it's not easy to meet people. It's also more my thing in terms of outdoorsy, but at the same time, the primary goal is to be somewhere where there are the most jobs. I may not get a social work job particularly in ontario as competition is tough I've been told... But I'd be willing to take a job such as youth work or support role. I'm not sure if I'd have more chance of this in ontario or bc. I be willing to work in a coffee shop or something if worse came to worse..what do people think?

I'm aware how expensive Vancouver can be, but I'm not big on being city central, I'm not a partier an don't really drink.
Old May 17th 2014, 4:44 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver/toronto

Have you tried looking at what each place has and doing and a pros and cons list?
Old May 17th 2014, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Oh goody is this a thread where those who don't live in Toronto or Vancouver can take the piss out of both cities
Old May 17th 2014, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Not necessarily Lancastrian as although I've mentioned those places, I'll most likely live near but not in city as it's not my thing.. Feel free though it may help with my decision making.
Old May 20th 2014, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

mazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you have a look at the Craigslist jobs section of both cities? I know that there are other ways to find a job, but it's a good starting point to see where the most appropriate jobs are.

If you are worried about finding a job quickly I would stick with a city as for obvious reasons ther will be more jobs around.

I live in Vancouver and have visited Toronto a few times. If you're not a big drinker/partier then Vancouver is ideal. In fact, it's the one reason that I almost moved to Toronto lol. I'm a bit of a partier, like to go out for a drink etc and although Vancouver has some brilliant craft beer pubs...it's lacking slightly in the after hours entertainment sector.

However, if you like the outdoors and are interested in healthy living, you've got more beach, forest and mountain access, yoga and kale than you can shake a stick at. In all seriousness, if you're not too keen on big city living, Vancouver barely even feels like a city...whereas Toronto feels very much like a big, dirty, lively, north american city.

As for meeting people, yes Vancouver does have a weird reputation for that kind of thing but I arrived on my own and I managed. You get out of the social scene what you put in, like anywhere else. In fact I think I listed all of the ways to meet people in another post in one of your threads so there's not much point in going into it again.

Another option to consider could be Vancouver Island? Victoria (I love Victoria!), Nanaimo or Tofino? Victoria, in my experience, is a really friendly place.

Feel free to ask if you need any more info
Old May 20th 2014, 1:33 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Oh goody is this a thread where those who don't live in Toronto or Vancouver can take the piss out of both cities
I have to say that I was sorely tempted but resisted the urge
Old May 27th 2014, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Kathy Martin is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed, Victoria. Love it here. Everyone is friendly. Good beers. Outdoors stuff, kayaking, fishing, surfing in Tofino and Mount Washington couple of hours drive for skiing or snowboarding... Hop on ferry to Vancouver for some city atmosphere when you need it.
Old May 28th 2014, 4:37 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dodgeroo
Thanks everyone for your encouragement about my trip to canada in June. I'll be giving in my notice at work at the end of next week.

My plan all along was to go to Ontario and be in burlington or somewhere around there. I was also considering waterloo-kitchener, but I know there are limited jobs there and would be competing with people who have Canadian experience.

I'm divided on going to bc or ontario. bc weather would be better for what I'm used to but I've heard it's not easy to meet people. It's also more my thing in terms of outdoorsy, but at the same time, the primary goal is to be somewhere where there are the most jobs. I may not get a social work job particularly in ontario as competition is tough I've been told... But I'd be willing to take a job such as youth work or support role. I'm not sure if I'd have more chance of this in ontario or bc. I be willing to work in a coffee shop or something if worse came to worse..what do people think?

I'm aware how expensive Vancouver can be, but I'm not big on being city central, I'm not a partier an don't really drink.
What is your profession???

Waterloo-Kitchener is a bit of a tech hub. Even with the demise of Blackberry.

My biggest fear with Vancouver was finding a job. I've heard some horror stories.

Meeting people is probably the same in both provinces. You need to join a couple of hobby groups and within 3/4 months you'll be fine.
Old May 28th 2014, 4:53 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kathy Martin
Agreed, Victoria. Love it here. Everyone is friendly. Good beers. Outdoors stuff, kayaking, fishing, surfing in Tofino and Mount Washington couple of hours drive for skiing or snowboarding... Hop on ferry to Vancouver for some city atmosphere when you need it.
Old May 28th 2014, 5:07 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
That's the good thing about Toronto, if you need city atmosphere New York isn't far.
Old May 28th 2014, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JamesM
What is your profession???

Waterloo-Kitchener is a bit of a tech hub. Even with the demise of Blackberry.

My biggest fear with Vancouver was finding a job. I've heard some horror stories.

Meeting people is probably the same in both provinces. You need to join a couple of hobby groups and within 3/4 months you'll be fine.
Hey,mil a social worker, but not holding out much hope for getting a job in SW. It seems hard to get a job in SW in ontario not sure about BC..
Old May 28th 2014, 5:22 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Victoria is a lovely city to visit - or if you are old or have kids; but to live there when young? Not sure I would have enjoyed it. Also, unless you have a teleport machine or a jetpack, it's a damned sight longer to get to Mt Washington or Tofino than 2 hours! I'm sure Victoria does have a night life but I've no idea where it is.
Old May 29th 2014, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

mazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Victoria is a lovely city to visit - or if you are old or have kids; but to live there when young? Not sure I would have enjoyed it. Also, unless you have a teleport machine or a jetpack, it's a damned sight longer to get to Mt Washington or Tofino than 2 hours! I'm sure Victoria does have a night life but I've no idea where it is.
Big Bad John's! Under the Strathcona hotel...brilliant little bar!
Old May 29th 2014, 5:17 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazmataz
Big Bad John's! Under the Strathcona hotel...brilliant little bar!
Ah, the Strath, how many trays of beer did I chug there? I'm surprised they moved it to Vancouver.