Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver, still not my cup of tea.

Vancouver, still not my cup of tea.

Old Sep 23rd 2018, 2:20 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver, still not my cup of tea.http://www.jnzdeli.com/

Originally Posted by dbd33
I have to say that it's nice to be able to stroll to a bistro and then down to admire the fog. You can't do that in the Beach.
Try to get to JN&Z before you leave, best pepperoni anywhere, (and the other stuff is great too). Closed Sunday and Monday.
JN&Z Deli
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 3:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Try to get to JN&Z before you leave, best pepperoni anywhere, (and the other stuff is great too). Closed Sunday and Monday.
JN&Z Deli
Too late, I'm at the airport, Will look for it next time.

We got to the airport through quite a smart area, Shaughnessy. There were lost of 'golden pitchfork' posters; that's a protest against a marginal property tax increase for affluent homeowners. Greed seems more naked in Vancouver then in Ontario. Speaking of which, here are some chuggers:

Old Sep 23rd 2018, 3:25 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Too late, I'm at the airport, Will look for it next time
Exorbitant parking fees at the airport is something I don't like about Vancouver; in Regina I think it's still a toonie. Hope you had a good trip, and thanks for sharing!
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 4:18 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver, still not my cup of tea.

Originally Posted by beckiwoo

Well I knew there would be at least someone that would take offence to what I wrote but then that’s life isn’t it.

I don’t want my children going to private schools but other people do. It would be a boring world if we were all the same
you're the one that categorized kids who go to private school as "entitled little brats". I'm glad you're not my mum....
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 5:35 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
you're the one that categorized kids who go to private school as "entitled little brats". I'm glad you're not my mum....

Hope you felt better for that!

I am glad Im not related to you as you get offended by everything so easily
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

siddom is on a distinguished road

is vancouver worse than england though....thats my question.
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 7:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siddom
Depends where you are coming from in England surely?
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 7:54 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siddom
thats a difficult question to answer as it depends on different factors like leisure, work life balance, cost comparisons, standard of living etc.

it is also unique to each inviduals needs.

There are some great positives in Vancouver and Canada in general compared to the UK. On the other side there are things that could be improved/not as good as the UK.

Old Sep 23rd 2018, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

dbd33 .

it really would help if you got your stories straight, and correct!!

1. The trailer park that you tried to show as decrepit, and seemed to sneered at because it was on an Indian reservation?

That First Nations is one of the wealthiest, if not THE wealthiest, First Nations in Canada. The nearby Park Royal Mall, which you might have been shown AND the high rises between the mall and the bridge are all on their land. The trailer park has a lot of people living there permanently in very nice homes (not quite the pre-fabs that you called them). The bit that you saw from the bridge is actually mainly sites for tourists in RVs.

2. The shipping container homes???

They are a means of getting homeless people off the streets. They are not usually being put on car parks, in fact I don't know of even one that has been put on a car park ..... but on city-owned land that is not intended for development within the next 3-5 years. The intention is to provide somewhere for homeless people to live, with care aides available, get off drugs (hopefully), and then be moved into permanent housing within 3-5 years.

There are 2 more permanent places in the Downtown Eastside which are intended as more long-term housing for women, especially Indigenous women, to help them get off the streets.

https://www.cbc.ca/life/home/6-shipp...oals-1.4058839

People like thee and me are buying converted shipping containers for mucho dollars for use as cabins and houses in rural areas.

They're even used in the UK!

Yes, there are things wrong with Vancouver, but one heck of a lot right ..... you only see the bad things!
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

beckiwoo posted .
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivingtonpike you're the one that categorized kids who go to private school as "entitled little brats". I'm glad you're not my mum....

Hope you felt better for that!

I am glad Im not related to you as you get offended by everything so easily

I was also insulted by your comment .....

........ you have NO idea as to why some children are sent to private schools, and to call them all :entitled little brats" is inexcusable in my opinion.

You have no idea why we sent our daughter to a private school .......... but it was the best thing for her in 2 ways. First, they allowed her to develop her character and taught her to stand up for her (and our) values. Second, they encouraged her to go for whatever she wanted to do. While the local public schools were steering girls to being nurses, flight attendants, and secretaries, her school encouraged and supported their girls to become doctors, architects, aeronautical engineers, if that was their dream, even back as far as the 1970s.

I grant you that a lot of children that go to private schools are from wealthy families, but an equal number of them are. In addition, most private schools in BC offer bursaries and scholarships for poor children.

The majority of children are no more "entitled" than I was considered to be in the 1950s when I went to the local grammar school ..........."entitled" in that case because I had brains and my parents scraped to buy the school uniform!!

Secondly, you need to think of the private schools that take in children with learning problems ......... the one in Vancouver that is for dyslexics, or the one for children on the autism spectrum.

Are they "entitled" because their parents want them to achieve the best they can?

I feel sorry for you, if that is indeed what you think.
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 8:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a side note only Park Royal South is on Native land, Park Royal north is not.
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Correction noted!

I was posting from memory, and forgot the north side of the mall. We've only ever gone to the south side, as it has been the most attractive.
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 10:10 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by scilly
dbd33 .it really would help if you got your stories straight, and correct!!<br />Yes, there are things wrong with Vancouver, but one heck of a lot right ..... you only see the bad things!
What he said: "The trailer park is actually an Indian reservation, there are lots of pre-fab houses there too. The container housing is, I'm told, part of an initiative to put containers in each car park so as to have a place to put the homeless; this has homeowners in fear for their patio furniture and has led to a run on chains and anchors."
You read sneering into that? And decrepit?

Last edited by caretaker; Sep 23rd 2018 at 10:44 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Big problem with Vancouver is the NIMBY syndrome that goes on.

People will complain when people live in an RV or in a tent.

City or province wants to build temporary housing for homeless people complain and protest they don't want it in their neighborhood.

I recall one protest last year of residents complaining because a high school was nearby, a not so small group of high school students came out to protest the protesters and were in support of the housing.

Its better to have the homeless housed with supports and supervision in place vs living on the street or in a tent.

The homeless issue will only get worse and there are more working homeless out there then people may realize working but not earning enough to pay rent.
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 11:36 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Big problem with Vancouver is the NIMBY syndrome that goes on.
People will complain when people live in an RV or in a tent.City or province wants to build temporary housing for homeless people complain and protest they don't want it in their neighborhood.I recall one protest last year of residents complaining because a high school was nearby, a not so small group of high school students came out to protest the protesters and were in support of the housing.Its better to have the homeless housed with supports and supervision in place vs living on the street or in a tent.The homeless issue will only get worse and there are more working homeless out there then people may realize working but not earning enough to pay rent.
The establishment and dismantling of tent cities has been going on for years in Vancouver, and the opposition to their removal registers on the national news each time. These container shelters being set out for them seems like a good halfway program to keep track of at least some of those at risk. Since dbd33's daughter has been working with the homeless and addicted in the dtes for some time now I'm going to assume he got his information about the current state of this program from her.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.