Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver, still not my cup of tea.

Vancouver, still not my cup of tea.

Old Sep 24th 2018, 3:44 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver, still not my cup of tea.

This thread is full of 1st world problems. If you and your family were refugees from Syria, would you really care about the rain in Vancouver? Give yourself a slap on the face and be thankful you live in Canada.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 3:49 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
This thread is full of 1st world problems. If you and your family were refugees from Syria, would you really care about the rain in Vancouver? Give yourself a slap on the face and be thankful you live in Canada.
You do realise we're British, right? Tea, biscuits and complaining. That's what we do.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 4:07 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rawsalad
Varies per company. I have worked a couple of times for software companies down south (I lived in the north) that were based in villages and all developers worked remotely. About once a month we would all got together for meetings and lunch. I always hoped that more companies would be more location flexible with talent - but it's few and far between.
My initial thought when reading Digital Ghost's post was "well doesn't everyone work remotely from home these days ... particularly in the software industry?". But I guess not?
Old Sep 24th 2018, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I would live in a rural area if there were jobs but rural areas tend to lack jobs so makes it hard to live in such an area for most people.

Jobs tend to be in the citys and so people live in the citys.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 8:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 25th 2018, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Your comment to me seems your putting down nurses by the comment aim higher, nurses are well educated skilled professionals, on par with any other professional career in my view, nursing to me is not a career that should be looked down upon.
You misunderstood my comment.

I would never dream of putting down nurses or any other health professional, they often know more than the doctors!! Similarly, I don't misjudge secretaries ...... a good secretary often runs the business better than the boss!

What annoyed and flabberghasted me back then (1991/2), and does now as it occasionally still happens, is that girls who expressed an interest in being a doctor were instead told that they should be nurses, with the implication that they were aiming too high.

Similarly, I know of men who were steered away from wanting to be a nurse because that was a woman's job and they should aim higher, to become a doctor.

It was the attitude that there were jobs for women and jobs for men, or that women (heaven forbid) didn't need to work for long periods because they would marry and have children.

It's much better now, and questions re a woman's life and intentions are against the law (though it seems they are still asked by ignoramuses!) ......... but there is still prejudice, and of course, pay inequalities!
Old Sep 25th 2018, 3:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Surprised they were going that here in the early 90's, my high school really tried to encourage girls to consider male dominated careers and had girls only job fairs with colleges and employers to highlight jobs in medicine, engineering, aviation and such.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 4:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Pretty accurate, look at rental prices around the surrounding burbs, they really are no lower vs Vancouver now and so if your gonna pay 1400-1,500 in Burnaby and need to commute, may as well live in Vancouver for 1700 and shorten your commute and transportation costs. Burnaby is 2 zone transit so will cost more there or if driving more in gas and then parking costs in Vancouver.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 1:26 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm here to be domesticated!

Lots of low rise apartment buildings around here, it looks a lot like Scarboro:but they have this, er, wonderful view so they're not priced like Scarboro.
My experiences of Scarborough involved two trips to the Civic building for Citizenship exam and then ceremony and back in 2004/2005 when it was home to Telus Mobility and I visited the office there maybe a dozen times.

Actually tell a lie...I recently played Scarboro golf club...my first ever private course. They chased me down on the first tee and asked me to tuck my shirt in and change my socks!

A friend of mine Scottish Joe (because he is scottish) tells me that the best fish and chip shop in Canada exists there so perhaps this winter I shall get back!

Anyway I guess when I began writing I was trying to say that I have never been to Scarborough enough to be able to compare a place to it but now I realize there are quite a few suppressed memories!

I think Vancouver if you don't do snow sports is a terrifying place.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 1:43 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I think Vancouver if you don't do snow sports is a terrifying place.
The whole stretchy-joggy thing is rampant there, it isn't just winter sports, the place is full of health nuts. I also remember seeing mad men and women riding bikes on the very edge of torrents of fast cars in the dark on their way to work and thinking I'd rather put my hand on the stove than take the chance.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, we're not all stretchy-joggy, mad cyclists or snow sports-mad ..........

many of us wear the same type of clothes that you see in Toronto, or any other place across Canada!

I feel slandered now as I have never worn or done any of the 3 things that you are so deriding.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 3:10 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Oh, we're not all stretchy-joggy, mad cyclists or snow sports-mad ..........

many of us wear the same type of clothes that you see in Toronto, or any other place across Canada!

I feel slandered now as I have never worn or done any of the 3 things that you are so deriding.
What are Toronto clothes, and what did I say about any clothes, for that matter?
Old Sep 26th 2018, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

rawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
My initial thought when reading Digital Ghost's post was "well doesn't everyone work remotely from home these days ... particularly in the software industry?". But I guess not?
In my experience it's very difficult to find such work.
I'm not sure why that is. Smaller companies seem to be okay with it - not having to lay out for equipment, rents, benefits etc.. should be something the md-sized one's would catch on to. Dunno.

But finding the needle in the haystack can take months!
Old Sep 26th 2018, 1:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rawsalad
In my experience it's very difficult to find such work.
I'm not sure why that is. Smaller companies seem to be okay with it - not having to lay out for equipment, rents, benefits etc.. should be something the md-sized one's would catch on to. Dunno.

But finding the needle in the haystack can take months!
An issue with that is infrastructure. I don't think there are many places in Canada from which a VPN connection can be sustained all day (and yes I'm sure posters here run fiber across the Atlantic to BT and are fine).

In Vancouver I enjoyed dinner here: Aucomptoir – aucomptoir – cafe parisien I also enjoyed the Sea to Sky Gondola. Granted these aren't particularly Vancouver things, it could have been the Select Bistro and the cable car at Niagara but they had nothing to do with snow and nothing to do with sports. I don't think one need be sporty anymore than one need be sporty in Toronto. It is however true that, if you undress someone in Vancouver, then under the sou'wester you will find spandex. The appearance of sportiness is important, actually being sporty is not.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 1:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
My experiences of Scarborough involved two trips to the Civic building for Citizenship exam and then ceremony and back in 2004/2005 when it was home to Telus Mobility and I visited the office there maybe a dozen times.

Actually tell a lie...I recently played Scarboro golf club...my first ever private course. They chased me down on the first tee and asked me to tuck my shirt in and change my socks!

A friend of mine Scottish Joe (because he is scottish) tells me that the best fish and chip shop in Canada exists there so perhaps this winter I shall get back!
Duckworth's? It's only 100 yards into Scarboro. We parked in Toronto and walked.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.