British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Vancouver room for rent? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/vancouver-room-rent-666754/)

helcat12 May 4th 2010 7:33 am

Vancouver room for rent?

Hi, Canada readers!
My husband has a job interview in Vancouver and is flying in on the 4th June. He needs a room for a fortnight while he meets potential employers and we wondered if anyone has a small room they might be willing to rent to him. We are quite willing to pay for commercial accommodation, but as I am sure all of you appreciate, it can be really lonely in a new and unfamiliar country in a hotel, so we thought we would ask everyone here. It would be much nicer to stay with real people:)
My husband is 41, a kind, friendly and decent chap with an easy-going nature and a sense of humour. He is a non-smoker and very tidy - I can vouch for that after 16 years of marriage! He is looking for IT work, mainly, so he has plans to meet employers in Nanaimo as well as Vancouver. He will be using public transport, so somewhere fairly handy for that would be necessary. Other than that, he'll be travelling light and, sadly, without me:thumbdown:, as I still need to work.
So, if anyone could find it in their hearts to provide a broom cupboard for him and his laptop for the fortnight for a modest remuneration and perhaps toss him a few local tips at the same time, I'd be extremely grateful!:fingerscrossed:

helcat12 May 5th 2010 7:41 pm

Re: Vancouver room for rent?

Well, I can see that lots of people are reading this thread, but no-one is posting anything at all:confused:
Am I doing something wrong? Am I posting in the wrong place? Or are people just not willing to do this sort of thing?
Any advice or comments would be welcome:)

el_richo May 5th 2010 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by helcat12 (Post 8545043)
Well, I can see that lots of people are reading this thread, but no-one is posting anything at all:confused:
Am I doing something wrong? Am I posting in the wrong place? Or are people just not willing to do this sort of thing?
Any advice or comments would be welcome:)

I don't think it's anything you're doing at all. I think the general scepticism of the internet and it's anonymity is at play. Probably people are wary of having a stranger off t'internet living in their home for a few weeks.

I can't offer anything but want to say good luck.

helcat12 May 5th 2010 9:52 pm

Thanks for the reply, mate!
It's a shame people are sceptical, if you are right and that's what is stopping them, because it is a chance to help out a fellow in the same boat as they have presumably been in and make a few dollars out of helping to boot.
It's a win-win situation!
I know it is hard to know that someone isn't an axe murderer or a weirdo from an internet post, but it cuts both ways! I could be entrusting my most precious person to the hands of a nutter as well, you know!
I don't know what I could offer to make people trust that we are normal, nice, decent and genuine.
We are trusting enough to ask, so I suppose we assume that only normal, nice, decent and genuine people like us post on here and would be reading this.
If anyone wants references, then that can be arranged easily, but anyone could fake that, couldn't they? I suppose it's all about trusting your fellow man. We are just trying our best to make our dream come true by doing everything we can and this trip means a lot to us.
I see many posters on this site who have successfully relocated to Vancouver - I can only hope that someone kind will offer my husband a room for a fortnight in exchange for a few extra dollars they weren't expecting and the warm glow that comes from doing someone a favour.:fingerscrossed:

ExKiwilass May 5th 2010 9:57 pm

I'd do it (call me gullible) but honestly, our house is too small. Like, even our broom cupboard is packed to the gills.

Over to the rest of you lot, Vancouverites. :p

helcat12 May 5th 2010 10:06 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Kiwilass:thumbup:
It's a scary old world and full of strangers, I know, but if we assumed everyone was a psychopath, we'd never get out of bed in the morning!
Seriously, a helping hand from people who have something slightly bigger than a broom cupboard to store my favourite IT geek for the fortnight while he sorts us out with a viable future would be a massive help and would put my mind a bit at rest over letting him go out there on his own. (You know what I mean, girls:tounge_smile:)
I can give my personal e-mail and I am happy to talk personally to someone to assure them and me that we are both sane and sanitary, if that would help!

ExKiwilass May 5th 2010 10:17 pm

:fingerscrossed: hopefully someone can help out.

WendyS May 6th 2010 2:31 am

Hey,

Is Victoria any good for him? We have a basement suite that is just sitting there at the moment. Let me know.

Wendy

moneypenny20 May 6th 2010 2:51 am

I was put up by 'cyber mates' when I had to come to Aus alone my first time. The kind people are out there, maybe they're just not looking on BE at the moment, be patient, I'm sure someone will be along who can help.:D

terese677 May 6th 2010 3:25 am

I would have but I've got someone else coming from the uk job hunting at the same time from 7th June, but if the dates change so its after mid july pm me:)

helcat12 May 6th 2010 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by WendyS (Post 8545770)
Hey,

Is Victoria any good for him? We have a basement suite that is just sitting there at the moment. Let me know.

Wendy

Oh, Wendy! What a nice person you are:wub:
Unfortunately, unless I have got the miles a bit squiff, Victoria will be a bit too far from hubby's target area. I know he has one interview in Vancouver, somewhere around the Surrey area, I think. If I am off course, tho, I'll get back to you on that one, for sure.
But THANKYOU anyway! You and the others have given me hope that someone in the right area might have a space at the right time.
I'll just be patient, as advised:)

helcat12 May 7th 2010 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by terese677 (Post 8545834)
I would have but I've got someone else coming from the uk job hunting at the same time from 7th June, but if the dates change so its after mid july pm me:)

It's good to hear that someone else believes that a job-hunting trip is worth the expense and effort! I have heard that personal contact goes a long way in Canada and certainly telephone calls have been much more productive for us than e-mail or just applying.
Thanks for the thought, terese.
Anyone else prepared to give us a chance?:fingerscrossed:

Alan2005 May 7th 2010 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 8545212)
I don't think it's anything you're doing at all. I think the general scepticism of the internet and it's anonymity is at play. Probably people are wary of having a stranger off t'internet living in their home for a few weeks.

I can't offer anything but want to say good luck.

What he said; also what kiwilass said (i've got no space - even relatives get put in hotels).

If he's around for a few weeks and wants to go for a pint or something then feel free to PM.

helcat12 May 8th 2010 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 8550462)

If he's around for a few weeks and wants to go for a pint or something then feel free to PM.

That would be great!
I'll PM you nearer the time and we'll get something sorted!:thumbsup:

The4BellsLondon May 8th 2010 9:12 pm

I would - but have the MIL for the month - plus two dogs - one who isnt good with strange men! but I did pm you a suggestion - email her as she isnt often on here now!