Vancouver questions

Wikiposts

Vancouver questions

Old May 12th 2011, 5:38 am
Just Joined

andyjb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vancouver questions

Hi all

I've done my homework into the following questions but really I'd prefer personal experiences.

I'm turning 26 this year and I'm hoping to move out to Vancouver in 2012/2013 on my own. I was born in Toronto and currently live near Bristol, UK. The reasons for moving to Vancouver rather than back to Toronto are because of the scenery etc which is similar to where I am at the moment in terms of hills/forests. I am a self employed web designer and photographer which is another one of the big reasons to move out to Vancouver. Thats my little intro done.

The first question I have is, what area's of Vancouver would be good for someone my age? I lived in North London for 6 months so I don't mind inner city living but some greenery would be nice. I also would like to be close to transport as I don't drive at the moment. I've heard Surrey is nice but access/transport is an issue. My budget would be up to the £1k mark a month so if that would get me into a nicer area that would be something I'd like to consider.

Second question, as mentioned I'm self employed and would be wanting to setup as a freelancer/sole trader over in Canada. has anyone any experience of the process? Is it as random as dealing with HMRC, do I need to go back to Uni to be able to fill the forms out?

Last question, when moving to Vancouver and renting have people needed to put down 6 months worth of rent or similar as for not having a credit rating when landing? I've looked at some places that ask for a deposit but haven't found any info on whether you need to give a new landlord security with a larger deposit as a "non native" eventhough with my situ that's debatable?

Thanks in advance.

Andy
Old May 12th 2011, 5:43 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver questions

The West End area of Vancouver is probably the best if you're normal, if you're more prone to the grungy-hippie persuasion then I'd suggest the Commercial Drive area.
Old May 12th 2011, 5:53 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
then I'd suggest the Commercial Drive area.
I popped down there last night to drop a friend off. Reminded me of a South Park episode called "Night of the Living Homeless".

Old May 12th 2011, 6:06 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I popped down there last night to drop a friend off. Reminded me of a South Park episode called "Night of the Living Homeless".

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FlBtlDj-ARE
Its not that bad but I think people mistake smelly for culture.

To the OP, stay out of the suburbs of Vancouver you'll be bored spitless.
Old May 12th 2011, 6:47 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyjb
Hi all

I've done my homework into the following questions but really I'd prefer personal experiences.

I'm turning 26 this year and I'm hoping to move out to Vancouver in 2012/2013 on my own. I was born in Toronto and currently live near Bristol, UK. The reasons for moving to Vancouver rather than back to Toronto are because of the scenery etc which is similar to where I am at the moment in terms of hills/forests. I am a self employed web designer and photographer which is another one of the big reasons to move out to Vancouver. Thats my little intro done.

The first question I have is, what area's of Vancouver would be good for someone my age? I lived in North London for 6 months so I don't mind inner city living but some greenery would be nice. I also would like to be close to transport as I don't drive at the moment. My budget would be up to the £1k mark a month so if that would get me into a nicer area that would be something I'd like to consider.
So you mean $1,600? That is a good budget for a one person sized place so there isn't any need to head for the suburbs. In addition to Oink's suggestions also look at Kitsilano (Kits).

I've heard Surrey is nice but access/transport is an issue.
Some of it is and some of it isn't. The areas around the Skytrain stations are "improving" but still have some way to go IMHO. South Surrey is ideal for a middle aged accountant but if I was 26 and single I'd want to be nearer to downtown.

Second question, as mentioned I'm self employed and would be wanting to setup as a freelancer/sole trader over in Canada. has anyone any experience of the process? Is it as random as dealing with HMRC, do I need to go back to Uni to be able to fill the forms out?
It is pretty straightforward. You register your business name ($30) and get a business license from the City (c. $150). You don't need to register your business name if you will trade under your own name and many people don't bother with the business license.

If your sales will be more than $30,000 a year you have to register for HST (like VAT in the UK). When you file your tax return you have to include a T2125 schedule of business income. I strongly recommend that you get an accountant (and not a tax preparer like H&R Block) to help you with this, at the very least for the first year.

HMRC and CRA? They speak with different accents but that is about the only difference.

Last question, when moving to Vancouver and renting have people needed to put down 6 months worth of rent or similar as for not having a credit rating when landing? I've looked at some places that ask for a deposit but haven't found any info on whether you need to give a new landlord security with a larger deposit as a "non native" eventhough with my situ that's debatable?
By law they can only demand the first month's rent and half a month as a damage deposit. I guess there is nothing to stop you offering to pay additional months in advance if that will seal a deal but it is not usual. You should have references: letters with phone numbers from previous landlords. A character reference from someone of standing that you are a stable guy who lives up to your obligations will do you no harm.

And get a bank account set up before you start looking. You pay rent by post dated cheque or pre-authorized debit (direct debit).
Old May 12th 2011, 6:52 am
Just Joined

andyjb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responses guys.

I'll take a look at West End I think. Thanks for the info on the business questions Jonboye, greatly appreciated.

Regards

Andy