Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver - My experience for what it's worth

Vancouver - My experience for what it's worth

Old Nov 29th 2008, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold
Default Vancouver - My experience for what it's worth

Hi all,

I've been in Canada for about 2 yrs now (Vancouver suburbs). We previously lived in NZ and left there at the end of my contract to come here for a supposedly great opportunity for my wife. She is local and wanted to come back anyway, so we'd thought that we'd give it a try.

Took me nearly a year to get PR, so I basically looked after our child. Didn't have time to apply in NZ and in any event it wasn't going to be much quicker doing it that way. Why is immigration here so slow !!

I never really had dreams to live here or anything. I always enjoyed my visits, but living here has gradually ruined me. My wife's opportunity soon evaporated and although we both now work, I'm doing the sort of job, I did 10yrs ago. Decent, interesting, well paying jobs just aren't in abundance here, certainly not in my field. I've applied for dozens of jobs and I never cease to be amazed at not even getting an interview for a job that I'm totally overqualified to do. Since moving here, I have a less interesting job and earn less. My commute is longer than it was in London. We can't afford to buy a house here.

I know a lot of people have had sorry stories of their experiences in NZ/Oz, but at least in my experience they seem to appreciate and welcome overseas job experience & quals there. The suffocating bureaucracy here, almost seems designed to keep new people out and ring-fence local interests.

To summarize, I now live in a place, I never really wanted to live in. I haven't really made any decent friends. I hate the hockey/truck culture. The TV sucks. Nightlife is even worse. I miss pubs & football & friends. I am certainly depressed. I drink/smoke way more than I used to. Although things did improve slightly this year after a horrendous first year - I really don't see any huge improvements on the horizon. The thought of living here for years to come fills me with dread. I just wake up in the morning and can't seem to comprehend why I ended up here.

It is a nice city, but I think the population influx and building craze, since I started coming here in 2001, is ruining what people like about Vancouver. It's like it wants to so desperately be a 'world class city', but it's all skin-deep. No soul. You always hear about how vibrant and multicultural Vancouver is, but it isn't. Inviting half of mainland China to come and live in your city, doesn't automatically make it a vibrant, multicultural place. What it does, is make you feel like you live in Beijing or HK.

The suburbs, whilst it's nice to have space and nice parks, are deathly dull. I mean, I thought my suburb was dull, but went to Maple Ridge recently and I would have probably topped myself by now if I lived there.

If you can afford to buy a nice place somewhere central, enjoy outdoor pursuits in the rain etc, then you might probably enjoy it here. Me, I can't honestly understand what people do in their leisure time here. I had to drive around a fair bit on a recent public holiday here, and I was thinking where the hell is everyone. Everyone seems to just work and then go home. I have worked in my job for about 9m and for the first time about 2 weeks ago, someone actually suggested going to the pub after work - I nearly fainted.

We went to the 'big' HSBC fireworks event here, and supposedly 400k people attended. Half an hour of fireworks and then everyone went home, no parties, no fun to be had. It was like they all were watching a TV show and then went to bed. Vancouver isn't known as 'no fun city' for nothing.

We went to Kelowna last summer, expecting to see a vibrant, fun resort town. Lots to do during the day, but dead at night. I guess if you come in a big group and camp, it could be a laugh, but couldn't believe the lack of events/festivals/pubs/nightclubs to keep you entertained in the evening.

I hate all the stupid bureaucracy. Having to re-take your driving test, can't smoke here, can't drink here (that's once you bought your drink in a gvt regulated store for gawd's sake), permits for this and that. Oh, but if you want to be criminal crack-addict begging for money, yes do whatever you like, and the population still see their self-inflicted fate as a No.1 priority.

Anyway, sorry for ranting so much, but I just need to get it off my chest as I have just grown to hate it here so much, that I just don't know what to do next. I have done nothing but look for jobs in the UK/elsewhere, but can't uproot the family until I get an offer. Sigh !!
Old Nov 29th 2008, 12:39 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver - My experience for what it's worth

Originally Posted by brizzle
Me, I can't honestly understand what people do in their leisure time here. I had to drive around a fair bit on a recent public holiday here, and I was thinking where the hell is everyone.
Vancouver has some of the world's best mountain biking on the North Shore. Up the road in the Sea to Sky corridor you have more of the same and a little place called Whistler where a few people seem to go. Get off your arse.

We went to Kelowna last summer, expecting to see a vibrant, fun resort town. Lots to do during the day, but dead at night. I guess if you come in a big group and camp, it could be a laugh, but couldn't believe the lack of events/festivals/pubs/nightclubs to keep you entertained in the evening.
Yeah. Everyone's been out doing stuff - at the beach, out in the bush, on the trails. If it's 37 degrees, we get tired and sleepy and we just wanna crash out in a green haze. Who needs pubs and stupid chav culture. But if you do, there's bars and resaurants and titty bars downtown if you want 'em. You obviously didn't look very far. Who needs "events" and dull organised crap like that.....if you want entertainment hire some clowns. Here, we have the bush to go play/party in. It's our playground, for 12 months of the year.

So, yeah, sure, your story sounds sad but so do you. Typical whining Brit syndrome. No wonder you're struggling for work. Get off your arse, get out there and embrace life in BC.

Sorry to sound harshly unsympathetic, but actually, I am. You truly need a kickstart to get you thinking about life. Don't like what I said ? Sorry, but I'm trying to do you a favour.

R.

Last edited by Rich_007; Nov 29th 2008 at 12:43 am.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 12:46 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Rich you really should go work for the Samaritans...
Old Nov 29th 2008, 12:47 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Rich you really should go work for the Samaritans...
I'm Mr Motivator, me.

R.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

sorry for the OP and hope all turns out ok

but must say visas are so very precious and its such a waste of much sought after visa when this happens

its my view that like anything you need to give it your all

throw yourself into to your local community

go to local events that might not be your ususal thing and out of your comfort zone fundraisers etc

give give give do voluntary work join your local volunteer fireservice join your local legion or whatever

let your community know that you have loads to offer they will welcome you with open arms you see!

invite folk into your home and adapt to canadian ways

in no time time at all you will feel valued and very much a part of things

most off all enjoy all this beautiful stunning and freindly country and people have to offer

the natural beauty is second to none and its just not possible to be bored with so much to see feel and experience

the best things in life are not things

there is so much here that you wont get in the UK etc who needs shallow things, malls and pubs and mass organised events you can get them anywhere.

have a huge party invite the whole community tell all its a pot luck be generous with treats and booze and make everyone feel great and let them know how you adore canada and hey presto your sociail life will take off!

good luck
Old Nov 29th 2008, 1:20 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Vancouver has some of the world's best mountain biking on the North Shore. Up the road in the Sea to Sky corridor you have more of the same and a little place called Whistler where a few people seem to go. Get off your arse.

Yeah. Everyone's been out doing stuff - at the beach, out in the bush, on the trails. If it's 37 degrees, we get tired and sleepy and we just wanna crash out in a green haze. Who needs pubs and stupid chav culture. But if you do, there's bars and resaurants and titty bars downtown if you want 'em. You obviously didn't look very far. Who needs "events" and dull organised crap like that.....if you want entertainment hire some clowns. Here, we have the bush to go play/party in. It's our playground, for 12 months of the year.

So, yeah, sure, your story sounds sad but so do you. Typical whining Brit syndrome. No wonder you're struggling for work. Get off your arse, get out there and embrace life in BC.

Sorry to sound harshly unsympathetic, but actually, I am. You truly need a kickstart to get you thinking about life. Don't like what I said ? Sorry, but I'm trying to do you a favour.

R.
Rich - This is one of the best posts Ive ever seen on BE!!!

Like you say life doesnt fall on your lap - get of your arse people embrace Canada and it will embrace you!!! I love ON because Ive embraced it winter summer good bad and all and think BC is amazing the month I spent there and even the month Ive been there to say BC has no culture, entertainment or there is nothing to do is the most retarded statement Ive ever heard!!

Its defo not chav central here in Canada - thank fook for that!

I seriously will never understand why some people emmigrate!
Old Nov 29th 2008, 1:47 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikey B
I seriously will never understand why some people emmigrate!
To learn to spell?
Old Nov 29th 2008, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

I think Rich is my Expats hero. Buy that man one of those fantastic micro-brewed beers we can enjoy in these, erm, grim Vancouver suburbs.

I can sympathise insofar as moving anywhere with no work for a year, and thus without the income to really enjoy oneself, must be pretty tough.

But given the original tone, that's about as far as it goes.

Fellow Vancouverites, the Snowbus starts running again on Sunday. All of, ooh, $30 or so to get up to Whistler and back for the day. Ahem.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 2:48 am
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
I think Rich is my Expats hero. Buy that man one of those fantastic micro-brewed beers we can enjoy in these, erm, grim Vancouver suburbs.
Originally Posted by Mikey B
Rich - This is one of the best posts Ive ever seen on BE!!!
Thank you gents, I'm supping from a fine glass of Glenkinchie single malt so I'll raise a glass to you in return.

Back to the OP.....get in your car, go over Lions Gate Bridge on a fine sunny day and drive up the Sea to Sky. Stop a few times on the way out. Drive as far as the mood suits you, then turn around and stop a few times more. Look out over Howe Sound, then drive further back and look out across metro Van to the Island or to the Olympic Mountains. You live in a truly incredible part of the world, a place that people wait ages to get the chance to enjoy. Some pay thousands to visit for a week or two and they call it "the holiday of a lifetime" and it's right on your very doorstep.

Tell me you're not in paradise and admit you fail to seize the opportunities that present themselves to you, and I'll show you a fool indeed.

BC has so much to offer.

R.

Last edited by Rich_007; Nov 29th 2008 at 2:51 am.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

babycart has a spectacular aura aboutbabycart has a spectacular aura aboutbabycart has a spectacular aura about

Your experiences are some of the facts about living around Vancouver, which other BE members should not jump down your throat for expressing them.

The national objective of having a skilled worker immigration programme does not translate on a local level & you wonder why they want to encourage skilled professionals to move here.

The key to getting employment here is to network & get the piece of "paper" they place so much emphasis on. UK work experience means nothing and that aspect can be frustrating, however once you are qualified they will all of a sudden be surprised you have so much experience.

Cost of living is very expensive in & around Vancouver. If you don't have income that gives you anything more than a basic day to living then of course this place is not fun.

Whether you stay or go is down to your own personal circumstances, but a place always seems a lot worse when you are in a trough.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

Tracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud of

We have been in BC for 6 months now and our DS of 4 yrs has just been diagnosed with Autism. I am a stay at home mum with no family to turn to only the friends I have made, all Canadian and 2 british families. I cannot tell you how grateful I am to have them as my friends. They have helped me get through these very trying times.

Despite all of this, we are so grateful and happy to be here that we wasted no time to integrate. We embraced it all and absolutely love it, more so, it is a wonderful place to raise our DS.

I hope the OP can soon find a place that he can call home- it's just a shame it can't be here.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 3:24 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I have done nothing but look for jobs in the UK/elsewhere, but can't uproot the family.

Looks like no-one else wants you either, which means, unfortunately, we're stuck with you
Old Nov 29th 2008, 4:04 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing much changes here on BE then.

Maybe OP is a troll or maybe he just needed to vent. Whichever, much of what he said about Vancouver is accurate.

In many areas of work, jobs that pay enough to live in the area on are hard to come by (even my Vancouver born, raised, educated and employed friends say this), bureaucracy is a growth industry (as many other posters on here have said before), Vancouver is not a "world class city" by any stretch of the imagination (though it is one of the best situated cities for access to the non-city pursuits), many of my colleagues can't come out to the pub after work because there is no transit available to get them home and commute times can be pretty bad (not even thinking about the one or two days a year the inevitable sprinkling of snow or bridge incidents occur).

We are lucky. We chose to come here because we were looking for good access to outdoor activities. The OP only came here to make his wife happy (and presumably sponsored by his spouse rather than taking a precious SW visa) and to be fair, I have yet to meet the male equivalent of the Vancouver yummy mummy. I would imagine (based on the male/female working parents ratios I notice at work) that it's not as easy for a stay-at-home dad to engage with guys in a similar situation as it would be for a woman. Vancouver seems to be pretty traditional in that respect.

OP, join a local soccer team (there are very many out there), find a favourite pub (they do exist) or whatever you must, but don't forget to experience the things you simply can't get anywhere else. You need to get yourself and your family out and about. You seem to like city pursuits so go explore Commercial Drive for the vibe, check out The Georgia Straight for listings, or check out one of the indie cinemas for the sort of movies you just won't see outside the film festivals. I concur with Rich_007, the Sea-to-Sky area is an amazing place to go to recharge your batteries, so drive and admire. At least then, when you leave you'll have some memories and tales to tell.

Last edited by acer rose; Nov 29th 2008 at 4:08 am. Reason: typo
Old Nov 29th 2008, 4:11 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
I have done nothing but look for jobs in the UK/elsewhere, but can't uproot the family.

Looks like no-one else wants you either, which means, unfortunately, we're stuck with you
Do you spend all your time on BE making snide comments to people who are struggling? You've obviously been in Canada since women got the vote, and seem to take pleasure in others misfortune in the current uncertain climate. I happen to agree that Vancouver is an overrated, parochial non-town with an identity crisis, and a really crap employment market to boot. Give the guy a break, he is entitled to his opinion.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 4:43 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babycart
UK work experience means nothing and that aspect can be frustrating, however once you are qualified they will all of a sudden be surprised you have so much experience.
I think that's overstating things somewhat. The ex-pats I know of all got their jobs (myself included) because of their past work experience. You're hardly going to step into a reasonably senior role without UK experience counting for something, are you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.