Vancouver my [email protected] place is...

Old Apr 11th 2006, 4:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vancouver my [email protected] place is...

So some international study comes up with vancouver as the third best place

Canadian magazine "Moneysense" looked at just canada and came up with Leamington (tomato capital etc) as the best place in Canada, and then a few other unlikely candidates (one in AB, one on the AB/MB border). Guelph & Kitchener were both right up the list too. I heard this on the radio, so the details are a bit hazy, but it will eventually make it onto the website.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/my_money/index.jsp

I think the difference is that the moneysense survey was taking cost of property / cost of living/ average regional income into acount, which writes of VAN and TO right from the getgo. That widely circulated international study seems to be based on unlimited income, which is hardly representative of the average blokes situation.

No idea how Iqualuit fared.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: Vancouver my [email protected] place is...

Originally Posted by iaink

Canadian magazine "Moneysense" looked at just canada and came up with Leamington (tomato capital etc) as the best place in Canada, and then a few other unlikely candidates (one in AB, one on the AB/MB border). Guelph & Kitchener were both right up the list too. I heard this on the radio, so the details are a bit hazy, but it will eventually make it onto the website.

I think the difference is that the moneysense survey was taking cost of property / cost of living/ average regional income into acount, which writes of VAN and TO right from the getgo. That widely circulated international study seems to be based on unlimited income, which is hardly representative of the average blokes situation.

Ah. I wondered how long you could stay away!
Old Apr 11th 2006, 4:39 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Compared to some cities I have lived in around the world, Vancouver is pathetic. Poorly designed, tediously boring, ugly, inflated sense of self-importance, horrible drug problems, racially divided and parochial in it's outlook. It's just set in stunning scenery. So that's OK then.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 5:14 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dingbat
Compared to some cities I have lived in around the world, Vancouver is pathetic. Poorly designed, tediously boring, ugly, inflated sense of self-importance, horrible drug problems, racially divided and parochial in it's outlook. It's just set in stunning scenery. So that's OK then.
You left out wet.

Still, not to worry. It'll likely get levelled before long.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 5:24 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

(one in AB, one on the AB/MB border).
Hmmm...Someone is geographically challenged.

To the best of my knowledge AB does not share a border with MB. What happened to SK, did AB absorb it?

Cheers
Steve
Old Apr 11th 2006, 5:31 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
Hmmm...Someone is geographically challenged.

To the best of my knowledge AB does not share a border with MB. What happened to SK, did AB absorb it?

Cheers
Steve
Its not geographic, its sleep deprivation and overmedication

Maybe it was MB/ON then?

I remember now why I seldom bother to come here anymore

<waves>Hi Sue<waves>

Last edited by iaink; Apr 11th 2006 at 5:44 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 5:32 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Vancouver was also at the top or near the top of the list of 127 cities surveyed by the The Economist Intelligence Unit. Its target audience are wealthy expats working for multinationals trying to decide which foreign postings they apply for.

If they took into account the large homeless population, drug problems, car theft, ancient overcrowded buses, and slim job prospects then I think the city would be a few notches lower.

one on the AB/MB border
That's definitely an unlikely candidate as it doesn't exist!
Old Apr 11th 2006, 5:43 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Awwwww what's the matter bunky?

Lost our sense of humour have we?

Come on iaink it was only meant as a little fun.

Cheers
Steve
Old Apr 11th 2006, 5:46 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Hangman
Awwwww what's the matter bunky?

Lost our sense of humour have we?

Come on iaink it was only meant as a little fun.

Cheers
Steve
No harm, not you, just this place in general.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Woodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Iain!
Welcome back, however briefly!

I know that there are lots of reasons for staying away from here now that you are happily settled but there are some of us out here that appreciate what you contribute. Please don't stay away for too long!

"Overmedicated" Hope you're not too ill!

Take care.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Its not geographic, its sleep deprivation and overmedication

Maybe it was MB/ON then?

<waves>Hi Sue<waves>
Hi sweets - miss you (I really do!)

Feel better soon love!
Old Apr 11th 2006, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

bart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud ofbart2804 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dingbat
Vancouver is racially divided?

To be fair, it's hardly Alabama C.1963
Old Apr 11th 2006, 7:46 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bart2804
Vancouver is racially divided?

To be fair, it's hardly Alabama C.1963
Wait until you live here. There are distinct parallels - and yes, I have been to and stayed awhile in Alabama. But not in 1963.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Elhombre will become famous soon enoughElhombre will become famous soon enough

Guelph & Kitchener were both right up the list too......
Don't! We are on the market to buy a house this summer.
H
Old Apr 12th 2006, 2:58 am
Banned

Athome has a spectacular aura aboutAthome has a spectacular aura aboutAthome has a spectacular aura about

As I commented on the post on the subject, the survey does not say Vancouver is the third best city in the world or that Zurich and Geneva are first and second best either. The survey says that of the 350 cities SURVEYED they were the top three. Amazing how the media manages to screw things up isn't it.

There is nothing wrong with surveys provided you know what it was a survey of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.