Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver or Montreal?

Vancouver or Montreal?

Old Aug 12th 2016, 4:23 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver or Montreal?

Originally Posted by xavier1955
the reason is simple

English is not taught in schools to any appreciable degree so these people are alas ignorant but they are not to blame. Those families with money can always get taught privately. That is what I have seen since 1962 and it will not change in my lifetime!
With all due respect, I think you are wrong.

My stepson (son), who is a South Shore native, speaks completely fluent English, admittedly partly because of me and the fact that he lived in the UK and Ontario for some years. He now lives near Quebec City. All his friends are locals. Most speak excellent English. They didn't get that from school. They got it from social media and watching lots of anglophone TV.
Old Aug 12th 2016, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

xavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy

My stepson (son), who is a South Shore native, speaks completely fluent English, admittedly partly because of me and the fact that he lived in the UK and Ontario for some years. He now lives near Quebec City. All his friends are locals. Most speak excellent English. They didn't get that from school. They got it from social media and watching lots of anglophone TV.
I have no doubt you are correct in many respects but attributing social media and being glued to English TV as the reason for their fluency is, in my opinion, quite an optimistic conclusion.

English education in the schools in this province is a joke so if you are correct (hard for me to believe) then Gawd bless for social media and English TV
Old Aug 13th 2016, 12:40 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I have no doubt you are correct in many respects but attributing social media and being glued to English TV as the reason for their fluency is, in my opinion, quite an optimistic conclusion.

English education in the schools in this province is a joke so if you are correct (hard for me to believe) then Gawd bless for social media and English TV
You are perfectly entitled to your opinion. I can only base mine on observation. I think the standard of English teaching has probably gone up a bit. The older members of the tribe generally do not speak English or speak it poorly (my wife didn't even learn English until she was in her mid-30s). The younger ones mostly do speak good English.

When I go to my son's place, I find that he and his (franco) mates habitually talk to each other in English, and it's not just for my benefit. The TV they watch is almost exclusively anglo.

I think that TV and social media must be playing a part in all of this.

Kids can learn English very quickly. I noticed this with one of my nieces, whom I have known since she was a toddler. She didn't start learning English until high school. Last year she was at CEGEP and had to take English. She sent me her homework for checking. Her English wasn't bad at all. She got quite good grades for her homework
Old Aug 13th 2016, 3:05 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

TV, internet, apps and social media are very useful tools in language learning. Time has moved on from sitting in a language classes and being stuck with a textbook.
Old Aug 13th 2016, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

xavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond reputexavier1955 has a reputation beyond repute

then i must be behind the times
Old Aug 13th 2016, 3:14 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

then i must be behind the times
No worries, if you're on here, you're as cutting edge as you need to be.
Old Aug 13th 2016, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shard
No worries, if you're on here, you're as cutting edge as you need to be.
Shard, that is reassuring bearing in mind my advanced age!
Old Aug 13th 2016, 6:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
TV, internet, apps and social media are very useful tools in language learning. Time has moved on from sitting in a language classes and being stuck with a textbook.

My Hovercraft is full of eels.
Old Aug 14th 2016, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

that python bit goes back quite a while
Old Aug 15th 2016, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, with all due respect to the OP from me too.

It (English language education) isn't anymore. I've seen a huge difference in quality, & attitudes to it in the last 20 years in the Francophone community.

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion. I can only base mine on observation. I think the standard of English teaching has probably gone up a bit. The older members of the tribe generally do not speak English or speak it poorly (my wife didn't even learn English until she was in her mid-30s). The younger ones mostly do speak good English.

When I go to my son's place, I find that he and his (franco) mates habitually talk to each other in English, and it's not just for my benefit. The TV they watch is almost exclusively anglo.

I think that TV and social media must be playing a part in all of this.

Kids can learn English very quickly. I noticed this with one of my nieces, whom I have known since she was a toddler. She didn't start learning English until high school. Last year she was at CEGEP and had to take English. She sent me her homework for checking. Her English wasn't bad at all. She got quite good grades for her homework

The standard of, & attitude, to English teaching & speaking it in public has gone up since I've been here.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 10:39 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Shirtback

It (English language education) isn't anymore. I've seen a huge difference in quality, & attitudes to it in the last 20 years in the Francophone community.

The standard of, & attitude, to English teaching & speaking it in public has gone up since I've been here.
Don't get me going on public speaking. I am no stranger to it.

A mate of mine is the CEO of a Montreal-based company. He is franco but speaks reasonably good English. Reasonably good.

A conversation we had a while back ran something along the lines of:

"Nice presentation Claude. Next time, FFS let me see the slides first!"
Old Aug 16th 2016, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

Well that is encouraging since successive provincial governments, since the sixties (or even before), have not exactly gone overboard in providing good quality education in English. That is ironic since it does not matter what corner of the globe you go to that you will found a good amount of English either spoken or understood and locals eager to learn the lingo. Never forget that French is the official lingo of Quebec (not that we need to be reminded) and within the education system that is precisely where the priority lies. And where it will remain!

Last edited by xavier1955; Aug 16th 2016 at 3:46 am.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think they've "gone overboard in providing good quality education" in general . I do think English language teaching is a lot better than it was (as is French language teaching in English schools).

I'll admit my offspring & I have had a fair few run-ins with schools & English teachers over the years...
Old Aug 17th 2016, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Don't get me going on public speaking. I am no stranger to it.

A mate of mine is the CEO of a Montreal-based company. He is franco but speaks reasonably good English. Reasonably good.

A conversation we had a while back ran something along the lines of:

"Nice presentation Claude. Next time, FFS let me see the slides first!"
The same could be said (IME) for presentations & accompanying slides in French!
Old Aug 17th 2016, 11:41 am
Slob

The same could be said (IME) for presentations & accompanying slides in French!
I was at a conference in Quebec City a few years back. The presentations were mostly in French but there were translators. I had one headphone on.

The versions going in one ear differed somewhat from what was going in the other ear!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.