Reload this Page >

Vancouver for mid-twenties?

Vancouver for mid-twenties?

Old Dec 3rd 2013, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

DollyDee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vancouver for mid-twenties?

Hi all,

I don't think there have been any posts about this before hence the new thread. Basically, my boyfriend and I are moving to Vancouver in January, both of us are 24: I have a degree in History he has 4 years worth of mining experience but no degree. So, with regards to jobs, I was just wondering how likely it was that we would be able to get entry level jobs/ jobs with an actual salary not minimum wage? I know in the UK it doesn't matter what degree you do, more that you have one, is it the same in Vancouver? Also could anyone recommend where to look for a flat/house share to rent? Any other information/recommendations/tips for anything would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all!

Dee x
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 6:36 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver for mid-twenties?

rentals: craigslist.

and/or padmapper.com

entry level? highly competitive. I'd aim for office temping work as a foot in teh door - reception, etc. As for your b/f, mining is in a huge downturn right now ( a coworker was saying it hasn't been this bad since the 90's) and people are being laid off everywhere. It's a shitty time to try and get into it TBH. Does he have any transferable skills?

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Dec 3rd 2013 at 6:41 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 6:37 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest signing up with a few agencies and look at contract/temp work that's the best way to get started in the Vancouver market.

For apartments, Craigslist and Padmapper are your best bet. Leases tend to be a one year minimum.

Hope that helps.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

twist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond reputetwist_freeride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DollyDee
Hi all,

I don't think there have been any posts about this before hence the new thread. Basically, my boyfriend and I are moving to Vancouver in January, both of us are 24: I have a degree in History he has 4 years worth of mining experience but no degree. So, with regards to jobs, I was just wondering how likely it was that we would be able to get entry level jobs/ jobs with an actual salary not minimum wage? I know in the UK it doesn't matter what degree you do, more that you have one, is it the same in Vancouver? Also could anyone recommend where to look for a flat/house share to rent? Any other information/recommendations/tips for anything would be greatly appreciated!
I am 26 and I moved here 7 months ago with my girlfriend who is 22. It's not going to be the same for everyone, but we had trouble finding any work that isn't seasonal (and the trouble with seasonal, is that it only lasts for about 3 months in winter, and 3 months in summer) I have a degree in web development along with a couple of years experience, and after 30-35 applications for positions in the field, I haven't been able to get even 1 interview.

My girlfriend doesn't have a degree and has had equal difficulty finding full-time work - so we have both been doing seasonal jobs since the summer, and will be trying to build on connections that we meet in those jobs, which has been pretty much our only choice.

I feel that the only way I could have got a more skilled job to start with, (that would count towards PR if that's what you want?) would have been to have gained a few more years experience before I left the UK - but this may just be the area I work in.

As for the type of degree you have, I don't think it matters too much. But generally education is much more important here than in the UK. All of the assistants in my office have degrees or masters degrees, which I was surprised about as you wouldn't generally consider this to be a requirement, but it seems to be standard.

Luckily though, you are arriving in January, a few months before the schools end for summer break and the job market gets saturated by students looking for summer jobs.

As for salaries, most seasonal jobs pay around, or just above the minimum wage. If you are able to find a slightly more skilled job, wages seem to jump a huge amount in comparison to the UK - sometimes almost doubling from my experience. For example: my summer job paid $13ph, but had I done the exact same duties for a company that was a year round employer and permanent, I would have been looking at about $25ph - so obviously there is far less competition for the 1st option, which is a factor which helped me get the job!

My advice would be that, with regards to jobs, as long as your expectations are not set too high before you get here, you will have a great time and you will find work that will pay your rent at least
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 11:45 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you on LinkedIn? I don't know what your background is but I know that Java is really in demand right now (my other half is a developer and gets contacted regularly) & if you haven't already I'd suggest joining some IT agencies for contract they can help.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

fatkaff is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I'm in my late 20s and have been living in Vancouver since August 2012. My background is teaching and education which has made it pretty impossible for me to get a job in my chosen field. I am, therefore, working in admin which wasn't too difficult to get to be honest. My partner is a Project Manager and he applied for a good few jobs but managed to find a good job within about 7 weeks of job searching.

I think it depends why you are coming out here - if you're coming to 'further your career', I would really research your chosen path well and make sure you have a list of contacts to get straight onto when you get out here - and keep onto them constantly. If you're not the sort of person who enjoys making contacts and networking, become that person! It's absolutely key to the job hunt in Vancouver and if you get it right, it will open doors.

However, in the meantime, there is plenty of admin work (especially if you have some experience) and retail work, although it's not always very well paid.

Locations to look to live depends a lot on the success of the above - if you're earning decent money, then you can afford to live in some areas that will otherwise be completely off limits. For example look at and compare the prices of places in Kitsilano or the West End vs. places around the Commercial Drive or Main Street area. Big difference in price, big difference in environment, but depends a lot on what you're looking for as to which would be the best for you and your boyfriend.

If you want to chat through some options, then feel free to PM me. Good luck!
Old Dec 6th 2013, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

slightly off topic, but am i the only person under-30 who came with out a partner? it bloody seems like it
Old Dec 6th 2013, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

Oaken is an unknown quantity at this point

Why Vancouver? Your partner could be earning a fortune working in the mines and wouldn't be too difficult to get into as he already has experience.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 2:51 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fatkaff
I think it depends why you are coming out here - if you're coming to 'further your career', I would really research your chosen path well and make sure you have a list of contacts to get straight onto when you get out here - and keep onto them constantly. If you're not the sort of person who enjoys making contacts and networking, become that person! It's absolutely key to the job hunt in Vancouver and if you get it right, it will open doors.
In other words: The job market in Vancouver for many fields is very small and incestuous. Employers have a sufficient pool of internal candidates to consider. You as a job seeker from abroad have to market yourself mercilessly to get their attention and if you don't like doing that then tough!
Old Dec 8th 2013, 3:16 am
Just Joined

padski is an unknown quantity at this point

Vancouver sucks for work, ran out of money whilst trying to find a job. Went to Alberta instead where work is plentiful and very well paid if you are willing to go to Fort Mac or Edmonton.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

mazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived in Vancouver in 2012, at 27, with an environmental management degree. I did have high hopes of working in the conservation/environmental field like I did in the UK...but in all honesty it's really difficult to break into most industries here. I have a friend who is from Vancouver, but studied with my course with me in the UK, and it took him 2 years, lots of networking and volunteering before a family contact finally got him a lead into the industry.

I actually went along to a networking event for my industry once, and 99% of people there were looking for work!

Having said that I've not done too badly. I signed up witha few temp agencies and landed a $25/hour gig at bc hydro, where I have been for the past year. I'm only here for another 5 months, and I'm trying to start a career as a freelance writer, so it works for me at the moment.

In my experience, it's difficult to get anything career related when you first get here (but not impossible). However, me and most of my friends have found that we have been paid better here than any career related job we had at home.

Good luck!

Last edited by mazmataz; Jan 21st 2014 at 4:03 pm. Reason: Sorry, but please re-read site rules re: advertising your blog, thx.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

mazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
slightly off topic, but am i the only person under-30 who came with out a partner? it bloody seems like it
Haha yeah it does sometimes! You're not the only one though, I arrived fresh, free and single...and due to the complete lack of dating scene in Vancouver, it looks like it's gonna stay that way.

I'm guessing you are are a Scottish import too?
Old Jan 21st 2014, 4:08 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazmataz
due to the complete lack of dating scene in Vancouver, it looks like it's gonna stay that way.
That's not good news for the singletons among us :S
Old Jan 21st 2014, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
That's not good news for the singletons among us :S
Ah it's not impossible, just hard work. It's not like any other place I've been, I was in Toronto for a month and had two dates, so it's not a Canada thing either. You'll know what I mean about Vancouver and socializing in general when you've been here a few months.

My roommate is dating a local, but he has put the legwork in i.e. gone out on his own on quite a few nights, signed up to POF, Tinder and even tried a couple of Craigslist dates! He has been on a mission to find someone for over a year, and 10+ failed dates (thate he paid for!) later, he finally met a great girl on Tinder. And he's a normal, chatty, good looking guy who is more than easy to get along with. Such is Vancouver!

I just don't have the energy for that kind of effort!
Especially as I have less than half a year left, imagine meeting someone now and how terrible it would be to have to leave them? Doh...I think I just jinxed myself!
Old Jan 21st 2014, 4:27 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazmataz
Ah it's not impossible, just hard work. It's not like any other place I've been, I was in Toronto for a month and had two dates, so it's not a Canada thing either. You'll know what I mean about Vancouver and socializing in general when you've been here a few months.

My roommate is dating a local, but he has put the legwork in i.e. gone out on his own on quite a few nights, signed up to POF, Tinder and even tried a couple of Craigslist dates! He has been on a mission to find someone for over a year, and 10+ failed dates (thate he paid for!) later, he finally met a great girl on Tinder. And he's a normal, chatty, good looking guy who is more than easy to get along with. Such is Vancouver!

I just don't have the energy for that kind of effort!
Especially as I have less than half a year left, imagine meeting someone now and how terrible it would be to have to leave them? Doh...I think I just jinxed myself!
Craigslist had a date section!!!!

Christ it sounds like the UK, especially where I am from! Maybe it's easier for women?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.