British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Vancouver Island (mobile phone, internet, utilities) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/vancouver-island-mobile-phone-internet-utilities-930954/)

unobscure Feb 8th 2020 8:48 am

Vancouver Island (mobile phone, internet, utilities)

Wife and I are planning to move to Vancouver Island (or possibly one of the Gulf Islands). We will spend a year renting while we look around for somewhere to buy.

As the home IT Dept it is my job to sort out mobile phones, internet etc and I would like to avoid accidentally signing up to the worst provider in BC. So if anyone has relocated to Vanc Island could you please share your experiences?

Thanks

Dan

rivingtonpike Feb 8th 2020 8:57 pm

Re: Vancouver Island (mobile phone, internet, utilities)

Originally Posted by unobscure (Post 12803695)
Wife and I are planning to move to Vancouver Island (or possibly one of the Gulf Islands). We will spend a year renting while we look around for somewhere to buy.

As the home IT Dept it is my job to sort out mobile phones, internet etc and I would like to avoid accidentally signing up to the worst provider in BC. So if anyone has relocated to Vanc Island could you please share your experiences?

Thanks

Dan

We have Shaw for Cable and internet, Rogers for 'phones. We don't have a house landline. We barely use cable TV but it comes in a bundle with our internet, so I can't be bothered to cancel it. We watch the Weather Network from time to time and the kids watch bits and pieces

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 8th 2020 9:05 pm

They all suck really, but Bell sucks the worst for cell phones in my experience, so I would avoid them.

Telus and their brand Koodoo never had trouble with either.
Rogers was priced high but never had issues, we are now with their Fido brand as they gave us a lower price, better phone and more data to switch over.
Bell and Virgin would be my last choice along with Freedom, Freedom is good if you never leave a service area but don't have great coverage compared to the others.

We use Shaw for internet never had any issues with them, they throw in basic cable and landline for us basically free now, took some negotiation and threats of cancelling service though....They can offer some decent deals at times for new customers just keep en eye out as they do have minimum commitments for many deals where you get X price if you commit to 2 year contract.

scilly Feb 8th 2020 10:27 pm

You don't have too many choices actually, whether you are on Vancouver Island or the mainland!

TheAwesomeMatt Feb 9th 2020 1:03 am

I live in Victoria

I use Public Mobile, which is $38/month for 5gb, unlimited calling and text. It uses the Telus network.

Hydro is around $30 a month for my condo, more in the winter and less the summer.

We don't have cable, I haven't had it since around 2013. Internet is $50/month and we have Netflix, Amazon (plus stackTV) for regular tv and DAZN for sports.

I don't know how that compares with the UK, I left in 2011 and I'm sure prices have changed since then.
​​​

Gozit Feb 9th 2020 2:04 am

Telus has the fastest internet in some areas as they deliver fibre optics to the home - if that matters to you. If not go with whoever offers the best deal. Telus and Shaw are the big ones in BC. Their pricing will probably be pretty similar. All of the TPIA's (independent ISPs) use one of the big company's cable lines so you should be good there.

The only one i'd avoid for mobile phones is Freedom as Jsmth said due to lack of service when outside of urban areas. It is cheaper then the other providers - but you get what you pay for.

unobscure Feb 9th 2020 2:41 pm

Thanks a lot folks. I didn't think any of the suppliers would be wonderful.... just want to ensure we don't step off the plane and stupidly sign up to the one supplier all locals know is hopeless.

We are going to rent while exploring/looking for somewhere to buy so the main focus will be cell phones, with the rest following later.