Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver Island 'flat' spots ...

Vancouver Island 'flat' spots ...

Old May 1st 2009, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

ukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver Island 'flat' spots ...

Any thoughts about going up island for a whale watching tour? - very little walking actually involved and telegragh cove is beautiful.
Great drive that will show your Mom some great Island scenary.
Apart from that Qualicum beach is great but busy in Summer

A drive over to Long Beach as well??

My Mam sounds very similiar but we had the problem of finding places to go here in the UK with car parks that were full no where to park close to what we wanted to see - ended up going to a small village round the corner called Bungay and she loved it - go figure.

Sometimes you rack your brains for somewhere to take your relatives when the place they like is under your nose

Either way have a great visit
Old May 2nd 2009, 10:58 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spongebob
Elk and Beaver Lake are about 15 mins from Sidney. Straight down the Pat bay.

http://www.vancouverisland.com/parks/?id=429

There is a 10km walk around it. Lots of eagles there, plus it is home of the Olympic rowing team.
Thanks Spongebob

Originally Posted by Monkey Puzzle
Yep, Elk/Beaver Lake is about 15 mins drive south of Sidney on H17 towards Victoria ... there are some nice beaches and trails round it. Not sure how you'd do with the wheelchair as some of the trails are a bit narrow and tree-rooty ...not to mention the runners doing the 10k round it nipping in and out ...!

The walk along Sidney seafront is a good one ....you go to the end of Beacon Avenue (the main street in Sidney and the one you turn onto off the highway to enter the town.) The highway end of Beacon is not so picturesque (!) but it gets so pretty as you go down to the water where the big blue fishmarket is. From there you can go left or right along the waterfront ...right takes you to the fishing pier and you can go as far as you like ..past wee parks and beaches.. Parking in Sidney is easy and free.
I like the sound of the seafront walk, mum lives in Hampshire & doesn't go to the 'seaside' very often ....... thanks for the advice ~ you should work for the tourist board!!

Originally Posted by ukcanuck
Any thoughts about going up island for a whale watching tour? - very little walking actually involved and telegragh cove is beautiful.
Great drive that will show your Mom some great Island scenary.
Apart from that Qualicum beach is great but busy in Summer

A drive over to Long Beach as well??

My Mam sounds very similiar but we had the problem of finding places to go here in the UK with car parks that were full no where to park close to what we wanted to see - ended up going to a small village round the corner called Bungay and she loved it - go figure.

Sometimes you rack your brains for somewhere to take your relatives when the place they like is under your nose

Either way have a great visit
Know what you mean about the stuff being right here ..... my friend visited last year & was even fascinated by the Woodgrove mall ~ she kept saying 'look, mall, mountain, she loved being able to see Mt Benson whilst shopping (she's easily pleased!! )

Mum wants to go whale watching but when I went it was a pretty rough ride & we were out for more than 4hrs ~ not sure she could cope with being flung around for that long ..... I've heard Telegraph cove is beautiful though so it's something to consider & we're def gonna go to Tofino & Qualicum.
Old May 2nd 2009, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute

You could drive to to Malahat summit and walk either direction for 10 minutes. It may not be flat but at least it is downhill.

Alternatively......talking about the Malahat the view point at Split Rock, there is Chemainus with all the murals, walkable in the town centre and you could drive to the furthest ones, Somenos Marsh "outside classroom" boardwalk and Cowichan Bay is a nice place to visit.
Old May 3rd 2009, 1:56 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananahammock
Thanks Spongebob

I like the sound of the seafront walk, mum lives in Hampshire & doesn't go to the 'seaside' very often ....... thanks for the advice ~ you should work for the tourist board!!

Know what you mean about the stuff being right here ..... my friend visited last year & was even fascinated by the Woodgrove mall ~ she kept saying 'look, mall, mountain, she loved being able to see Mt Benson whilst shopping (she's easily pleased!! )

Mum wants to go whale watching but when I went it was a pretty rough ride & we were out for more than 4hrs ~ not sure she could cope with being flung around for that long ..... I've heard Telegraph cove is beautiful though so it's something to consider & we're def gonna go to Tofino & Qualicum.
She could go on the enclosed boat - they have nice loos and a bar!! goes from Sydney I think
Old May 3rd 2009, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
She could go on the enclosed boat - they have nice loos and a bar!! goes from Sydney I think
"Prince of Whales" has a covered boat with mod cons that goes from Victoria. Look at their website for the latest whale spotting news.
Old May 3rd 2009, 3:19 am
Bristolish expat

bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone, you've given me plenty to think about .... 48 days to go
Old May 4th 2009, 5:11 am
Arrived 12th March 2009

markandlibby is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi BananaHammock,

Hope your Mum has a lovely visit - we can't suggest much having only been here under 8 weeks, but i'd second the suggestion for Rathtrevor Park and Qualicum Beach (we walked the length of the "promenade" at Qualicum which ended at a very welcome pub, great view from the bar) Qualicum town centre was relatively flat too, i'm sure it would be easily accessible by wheelchair.

Libby's parents are flying out on the 20th too - I can't imagine not seeing family or over 3 years. That must have been really hard especially when she was unwell.

Have a lovely time
Old May 4th 2009, 7:11 am
Bristolish expat

Originally Posted by markandlibby
Hi BananaHammock,

Hope your Mum has a lovely visit - we can't suggest much having only been here under 8 weeks, but i'd second the suggestion for Rathtrevor Park and Qualicum Beach (we walked the length of the "promenade" at Qualicum which ended at a very welcome pub, great view from the bar) Qualicum town centre was relatively flat too, i'm sure it would be easily accessible by wheelchair.

Libby's parents are flying out on the 20th too - I can't imagine not seeing family or over 3 years. That must have been really hard especially when she was unwell.

Have a lovely time
Thanks Mark & Libby she says she'll enjoy herself even if she sits on the sofa & natters for 2 weeks ...... that pub in Qualicum wouldn't have been the Shady Rest would it?

Yep, it's been hard not seeing any family in almost 4 years ..... just my Dad to work on now

Hope you are enjoying Nanaimo ........ see you at the airport maybe?
Old May 4th 2009, 11:53 pm
Arrived 12th March 2009

The Shady Rest - yep thats the one!
Very welcome after the long walk, and the view was worth it too.

Libby's parents are coming in on the ferry, so we won't be at the airport i'm afraid. However we may bump into each other as we'll be visiting some of the same spots with them! We'll say hello if we spot someone "English" pushing a wheelchair!
Old May 5th 2009, 12:06 am
Bristolish expat

Originally Posted by markandlibby
The Shady Rest - yep thats the one!
Very welcome after the long walk, and the view was worth it too.

Libby's parents are coming in on the ferry, so we won't be at the airport i'm afraid. However we may bump into each other as we'll be visiting some of the same spots with them! We'll say hello if we spot someone "English" pushing a wheelchair!
Ha ...... probably 50% of the people you run into then!! Look for the one that sounds like Vicky Pollard with the large freaky looking dog
Old May 5th 2009, 1:36 am
Arrived 12th March 2009

Originally Posted by bananahammock
Ha ...... probably 50% of the people you run into then!! Look for the one that sounds like Vicky Pollard with the large freaky looking dog
Lol!