Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver Island - Best place to live

Vancouver Island - Best place to live

Old Dec 27th 2013, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

susieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant future
Default Re: Vancouver Island - Best place to live

Originally Posted by witchileiz
So glad you posted, SuzieH, as we are looking to move over to Vic in Spring and Oak Bay, Jubilee, Cadboro Bay, Gordon Head and Fairfield were considerations. The cost of housing was a consideration with Oak Bay (but I so loved Willows beach!), so we were edging towards Gordon Head.... but I was a little dubious about accessibility. I love to walk and cycle and don't drive (yet) - and the other areas did seem to have more things close by/walking distance... Hmmm thanks - this has certainly helped me in considering...
If you don't drive, make sure you're near a bus route so you don't feel isolated. All the maps are on the BC Transit website. Also check for sidewalks (or lack of)! We used to live on a street without sidewalks, which was a bit scary with small kids.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 1:57 am
Just Joined

crabbygit is an unknown quantity at this point

I built and lived in Brentwood Bay for 12 years, its only 20 minutes drive into Victoria, not sure what rental availability is now as i haven't lived there for over 20 years, Royal Oak area is closer to Victoria. As in most cities the closer to town the higher the price and the more congested, however, it takes no time at all to drive to greenbelt, ocean, or forest and mountain trails.

I wouldn't leve anywhere else but Vancouver Island it offers so much for young families, having said that, the only downside for families still in the workforce MAY be job availability.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 3:47 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by susieh
If you don't drive, make sure you're near a bus route so you don't feel isolated. All the maps are on the BC Transit website. Also check for sidewalks (or lack of)! We used to live on a street without sidewalks, which was a bit scary with small kids.
Totally agree with Susieh. Around here (Malahat and north) without a car would be almost impossible. There are no pavements, no street lighting and loads of little steep hills (kills me on a bike). Victoria and all the areas that have been mentioned are more conducive to walking, cycling and public transport.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

WendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant future

We live in Gordon Head and have four children. It has great schools and is on a great bus route. I feel it's a safe area and there are tons of families here. I also really like how central we are to other areas on the island.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

It's pretty much all nice.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 5:05 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNikki
It's pretty much all nice.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help with stuff near Victoria as we are moving to the Comox Valley (lovely but definitely not commuting distance from Victoria), but just wanted to say good luck with the move!
Old Jan 5th 2014, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

crabbygit is an unknown quantity at this point

I have lived on the Island for 39 years in Brentwood Bay and now the mid island and I haven't regretted a day.

Here are some of the school districts you can check out:

Victoria
https://www.sd61.bc.ca/

Saanich
http://www.sd63.bc.ca/

Sooke
http://www.sd62.bc.ca/
Old Jan 24th 2014, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Madge_MR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Island Bound
Hi all,

We are finally in the last stages of getting residency - just been asked for more photos for the resident cards...

Our plan as my name - island bound - gives away is we are hoping to finally move from the 7 months of snow in Alberta to Vancouver Island.

My husband is hoping/should get a job in Victoria so our house rental hunt is going to based from there.

We are looking for a family area, no crime, near a good elementary school for 6 year old daughter. I do home daycare so need an area that will have other families with small children needing care - ie not retirement only area.
We also want to be close to the beach.

We have looked at Sooke - this may be too far about 45 min drive to Victoria.
And have visited and like James Bay and Oak Bay.
Heard bad things about Esquilmalt so will probably avoid there.
Also read about Langford and Colwood - but not sure if these are just 'house' communities.

So any help on good areas would be great, comments on above or other suggestions.

Thanks for any help....
The Bear Mountain/Colwood/Langford area of Gt Victoria are good areas.

I'm from Victoria, living in Cheshire now.