Reload this Page >

Vancouver Island - Best place to live

Vancouver Island - Best place to live

Old Dec 24th 2013, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Island Bound is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Vancouver Island - Best place to live

Hi all,

We are finally in the last stages of getting residency - just been asked for more photos for the resident cards...

Our plan as my name - island bound - gives away is we are hoping to finally move from the 7 months of snow in Alberta to Vancouver Island.

My husband is hoping/should get a job in Victoria so our house rental hunt is going to based from there.

We are looking for a family area, no crime, near a good elementary school for 6 year old daughter. I do home daycare so need an area that will have other families with small children needing care - ie not retirement only area.
We also want to be close to the beach.

We have looked at Sooke - this may be too far about 45 min drive to Victoria.
And have visited and like James Bay and Oak Bay.
Heard bad things about Esquilmalt so will probably avoid there.
Also read about Langford and Colwood - but not sure if these are just 'house' communities.

So any help on good areas would be great, comments on above or other suggestions.

Thanks for any help....
Old Dec 24th 2013, 4:13 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver Island - Best place to live

Victoria. Let's see. For one there's no "big" crime areas - sure there's crime but there's crime everywhere. Can't help on the elementary schools as it's been awhile for my kids. What does your husband do?

No retirement areas - don't consider Sidney.

Close to the beach - I assume you mean the ocean and the closer you get to it the more it will cost.

Sooke - it's nice but wouldn't recommend it if you work in Victoria

James Bay & Oak Bay - they are nice and they are expensive if your buying or renting a home (try "Used Victoria" to get an idea on rentals prices). Add Fernwood and Cook Street areas to the "nice" list. Gordon Head and Gorge / Tillicum are also good areas.

Esquimalt - always gets a bad rap but there are nice areas in Esquimalt

Colwood and Langford - lots of families out there as the house prices are cheaper but there is the traffic to deal with. Now I know some will say that the "rush hour" is nothing compared to... and you're right but living on the island you don't expect any rush hour period. For me, I'd rather live in Central Saanich than live in Langford but that's just me.

I do believe there are a few others on hear that have kids in elementary schools and will be along shortly to fill in the gaps.
Old Dec 24th 2013, 5:17 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto
Old Dec 24th 2013, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

Golden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to all

We moved to Victoria from the U.K. When we first moved there, it was known as 'Victoria, the town for the newly wed and nearly dead'

A lot of retirees migrate from the East coast to Victoria, although we are sadly no longer there, it is, in my opinion the best of the best that Canada has to offer..

I would avoid Sooke and the Western Communities...If you work in the Centre of Victoria travel time can be a nightmare.
If you can afford it, look to Saanich (Cordova Bay) it's a great location... 15 - 20 minutes to the airport 20- 25 mins to the ferries and 20 mins to downtown..

Definitely rent first, it will certainly give you a better idea. We rented for 3 months before deciding on a area..

You do get more Bang for you buck out is Sooke and the Western Communities.. Colwood/ Langford.. But there is a reason for that !

Fernwood and Cook Street are more seniors.. Cook Street Village is a trendy young area with a high student base.

Google ... kijiji victoria rentals

http://victoria.kijiji.ca/f-real-est...l-W0QQCatIdZ43

hope that helps
Old Dec 25th 2013, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Victoria. Let's see. For one there's no "big" crime areas - sure there's crime but there's crime everywhere. Can't help on the elementary schools as it's been awhile for my kids. What does your husband do?

Close to the beach - I assume you mean the ocean and the closer you get to it the more it will cost.

James Bay & Oak Bay - they are nice and they are expensive if your buying or renting a home (try "Used Victoria" to get an idea on rentals prices). Add Fernwood and Cook Street areas to the "nice" list. Gordon Head and Gorge / Tillicum are also good areas.

Colwood and Langford - lots of families out there as the house prices are cheaper but there is the traffic to deal with. Now I know some will say that the "rush hour" is nothing compared to... and you're right but living on the island you don't expect any rush hour period. For me, I'd rather live in Central Saanich than live in Langford but that's just me.

I do believe there are a few others on hear that have kids in elementary schools and will be along shortly to fill in the gaps.
You do get more Bang for you buck out is Sooke and the Western Communities.. Colwood/ Langford.. But there is a reason for that ! Too true but they are up and coming and a great place to live. Coming from Vancouver I think the traffic no is problem. We live on Bear Mountain and love it. I like Sooke too - check out future plans and opportunities and don't follow the sheep is my advice. There is a reason Oak Bay and downtown are expensive (and old). You move to the Island for its natural beauty so why live in a city? Hated Vancouver for its congestion, downtown Vic is not much better (but not as bad as Vancouver).
Old Dec 25th 2013, 1:50 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Mill Bay which is just north of the Malahat, about 35 - 50 minutes north of downtown (depending on time of day). It's a lovely area with plenty of kids and very good schools. Depending on what your husband does, is he likely to be based right in downtown?
Old Dec 25th 2013, 7:43 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
You move to the Island for its natural beauty so why live in a city? Hated Vancouver for its congestion, downtown Vic is not much better (but not as bad as Vancouver).
True but you can't really compare Victoria to Vancouver. Our traffic isn't anywhere near as bad as Van and if you live downtown you're only minutes to the "natural beauty". Plus the pubs and nightlife are downtown and you can walk home.

But you're looking typical family areas. Lots of areas in around Victoria but they are more expensive than Langford - the main reason most younger families head to the Western Communities
Old Dec 25th 2013, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Jackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant future

Hi
Sidney is heavily weighted to retirees but we live here with three kids and there are lots of kids around. It's by the sea and very pretty, if you don't mind the odd oldie!
Old Dec 26th 2013, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

True but you can't really compare Victoria to Vancouver. Our traffic isn't anywhere near as bad as Van and if you live downtown you're only minutes to the "natural beauty". Plus the pubs and nightlife are downtown and you can walk home.

But you're looking typical family areas. Lots of areas in around Victoria but they are more expensive than Langford - the main reason most younger families head to the Western Communities
I agree that's why we moved to Langford. We are no more than 15-20 minutes from anywhere. The shops are at the bottom of the hill and we can walk to an excellent pub including a first class hotel. I wouldn't belittle any area over another - they all very nice. Esquimalt sometimes gets a bad review but that has some of my favourite ocean front places to visit. All in all a very agreeable place to live. My admin. commutes from Duncan every day and one of my electricians comes in from Mill Bay. If you are younger I see why Victoria is attractive for the harbour area and nightlife. But when you have young kids you need space. Never wanted to bring a family up in a condo so space is a key consideration where we chose to live. No complaints from us we love the Victoria area and Sooke is really growing on me!
Old Dec 26th 2013, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jackandvictor
Hi
Sidney is heavily weighted to retirees but we live here with three kids and there are lots of kids around. It's by the sea and very pretty, if you don't mind the odd oldie!
I like Sidney too. We almost bought a property there!
Old Dec 26th 2013, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

charlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Oak Bay, near Estevan/Willows Beach area. There are a lot of families in this area, the elementary schools are good. You can also walk to coffee shops, and Oak Bay Village in no time. Oak Bay is not full of old people like a lot would have you think. Of course there are seniors here, but no more than anywhere else.
Downtown Victoria is a 10 min drive, or the number 11 bus gets you there in 15 mins. We manage with only one car because of the great location, my husband and kids all bike to work/school.
House prices and rental prices are high around here, but it does offer what you ask for.
My daughter is now in Middle school locally, and my sons are at 2 different High Schools. We have lived here since 2004, and wouldn't live anywhere else.
Old Dec 26th 2013, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

susieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant future

We have two young kids and live in the Jubilee area, right by Oak Bay. We love the area, as we can walk to the shops, rec centre and beach. Downtown is within easy reach too. There are lots of families with kids on our street and in the neighbourhood.

I've have friends with kids in Willows, Margaret Jenkins, Doncaster, Braefoot and Campus View elementary schools and all seem to be fine. I don't know about other schools, as we've not been here long enough. Some schools are English only and some do English and French immersion.

We used to live near Mt Tolmie/UVIC, which is another nice area to bring up kids (I knew a couple of people who ran home-based daycares in that area), though I prefer where we are now, mainly because it's more pedestrian friendly and I like to walk.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 4:27 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Toronto
that'll be a short commute to Victoria
Old Dec 27th 2013, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Location: Sheffield UK - Victoria BC bound (one day, in a galaxy far, far away...)
witchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by susieh
We have two young kids and live in the Jubilee area, right by Oak Bay. We love the area, as we can walk to the shops, rec centre and beach. Downtown is within easy reach too. There are lots of families with kids on our street and in the neighbourhood.

I've have friends with kids in Willows, Margaret Jenkins, Doncaster, Braefoot and Campus View elementary schools and all seem to be fine. I don't know about other schools, as we've not been here long enough. Some schools are English only and some do English and French immersion.

We used to live near Mt Tolmie/UVIC, which is another nice area to bring up kids (I knew a couple of people who ran home-based daycares in that area), though I prefer where we are now, mainly because it's more pedestrian friendly and I like to walk.
So glad you posted, SuzieH, as we are looking to move over to Vic in Spring and Oak Bay, Jubilee, Cadboro Bay, Gordon Head and Fairfield were considerations. The cost of housing was a consideration with Oak Bay (but I so loved Willows beach!), so we were edging towards Gordon Head.... but I was a little dubious about accessibility. I love to walk and cycle and don't drive (yet) - and the other areas did seem to have more things close by/walking distance... Hmmm thanks - this has certainly helped me in considering...
Old Dec 27th 2013, 5:09 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

If you like those sorts of areas maybe add Cook. St village to the list.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.