Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver Haze...

Vancouver Haze...

Old Aug 6th 2010, 2:36 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vancouver Haze...

Originally Posted by Alan2005
This is some of the worst pollution I've seen in a city, even including Bangkok and Shanghai. The north shore mountains have all but disappeared from view in the miasma. Was going to run around the park today - but not doing it in this smog, would be like smoking 20 bensons and I prefer to do that over a pint. Greenest city on earth? Well if they ever manage to put the bloody forest fires out maybe.
I'd hardly call it pollution. It's not man made it's a natural event and anyone who's lived here any length of time knows that it happens from time to time. Its the same in Southern California and areas of Australia where extended hot and dry spells are common. Most are started by lightening and some by humans.

Last edited by dboy; Aug 6th 2010 at 2:38 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by linz3112
Have they still got some of the beaches closed off? Read in a paper (cannot remember which one) that there had been Chemicals washed into the lake due to an industrial fire or something?!
not heard anything about that?
Old Aug 6th 2010, 2:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Its the same in Southern California and areas of Australia where extended hot and dry spells are common.
And worse in Russia:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/gall...09587&index=13
Old Aug 6th 2010, 3:08 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

This is some of the worst pollution I've seen in a city, even including Bangkok and Shanghai. The north shore mountains have all but disappeared from view in the miasma. Was going to run around the park today - but not doing it in this smog, would be like smoking 20 bensons and I prefer to do that over a pint. Greenest city on earth? Well if they ever manage to put the bloody forest fires out maybe.
Its disgraceful, they should have dealt with this before the situation got as bad and put people’s health at risk. First world country my a****.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Oink
Its disgraceful, they should have dealt with this before the situation got as bad and put people’s health at risk. First world country my a****.
YAWN

We have a reputation world wide for our fire fighters and the amount of equipment we have on hand. We are often pressed into service in other areas around the world. Most years the budget and the response to fires is more than adequate and the 1200 or so fires burn with most of us blissfully unaware, but mother nature being as fickle as she is, dictates that it is not possible to deal with years, such as this, last year and 2003 where there are more than usual.

We live on the edge of a vast forest 4 times the size of the UK with only 4 million people. What do you propose we should do?

Last edited by dboy; Aug 6th 2010 at 4:07 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

I have witnessed the wild brush fires of a north Italian summer and the lamentable response to them.

I have seen the extent of the Santa Ana winds and their effect on fires on the Santa Monica mountains.

With all things considered, people complaining about HAZE in Vancouver are being the eptiome of precious IMO.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:04 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
I have witnessed the wild brush fires of a north Italian summer and the lamentable response to them.

I have seen the extent of the Santa Ana winds and their effect on fires on the Santa Monica mountains.

With all things considered, people complaining about HAZE in Vancouver are being the eptiome of precious IMO.
What?

Yesterday was the worst air quality (switching to a more neutral term to prevent offence) I have ever experienced. I lived in Bangkok for several years and the air there is disgusting (several orders of magnitude worse than London) and this was worse than that.

I joked about smoking in the OP, but I saw on the news last night that it really was the equivalent of smoking a packet of cigarettes and that people with respiratory problems should avoid going outside if possible and that people should not do strenuous exercise.

I don't think complaining that this is a bad thing is being precious or negative. The smoke isn't eco-particulates that are good for you because they are free range organic trees. It's still all hydro-carbons being burnt whatever the source.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

YAWN

We have a reputation world wide for our fire fighters and the amount of equipment we have on hand. We are often pressed into service in other areas around the world. Most years the budget and the response to fires is more than adequate and the 1200 or so fires burn with most of us blissfully unaware, but mother nature being as fickle as she is, dictates that it is not possible to deal with years, such as this, last year and 2003 where there are more than usual.

We live on the edge of a vast forest 4 times the size of the UK with only 4 million people. What do you propose we should do?
Well said

I suppose we will have the global warming gang along soon
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:39 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Like driving cars and exhaust fumes?
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:44 pm

What?

Yesterday was the worst air quality (switching to a more neutral term to prevent offence) I have ever experienced. I lived in Bangkok for several years and the air there is disgusting (several orders of magnitude worse than London) and this was worse than that.

I joked about smoking in the OP, but I saw on the news last night that it really was the equivalent of smoking a packet of cigarettes and that people with respiratory problems should avoid going outside if possible and that people should not do strenuous exercise.

I don't think complaining that this is a bad thing is being precious or negative. The smoke isn't eco-particulates that are good for you because they are free range organic trees. It's still all hydro-carbons being burnt whatever the source.
Yes but the present haze is not down to being irresponsible, it's a naturally occurring event that has taken place with regularity since the dawn of time. You are comparing apples to oranges. There are negative aspects to living so close to the outdoors, this is one.

Here is a map of last years fires to put things into perspective:

http://bcwildfire.ca/History/fireatl...=2009&type=all

Last edited by dboy; Aug 6th 2010 at 5:48 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:04 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

YAWN

Get their bloody fingers out.

It seems a lot better this morning, I think they must be using their wind machines to blow the smoke away.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:16 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but the present haze is not down to being irresponsible, it's a naturally occurring event that has taken place with regularity since the dawn of time. You are comparing apples to oranges. There are negative aspects to living so close to the outdoors, this is one.

Here is a map of last years fires to put things into perspective:

http://bcwildfire.ca/History/fireatl...=2009&type=all
I disagree that because it's a natural event this makes the air quality comparison invalid - it is what it is. I stand by my statement that yesterdays air quality is the worst that I have ever experienced in a city. I'm sure there are places where the air is a lot worse - but I've not been to those places. When the air is, in my experience, cleaner in large asian cities reknowned for their poor air quality, I don't think it's unreasonable or negative to comment on it.

Today is better fortunately - hopefully there will be some rain or wind and the air will get back to the usual high standard it is here (and I'll get my view back and be able to run the 10k round the park without feeling like I'm smoking a cigar at the same time).
Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Well clearly I have been lucky whilst in Vancouver as I see nothing to whine about.

Or perhaps my time spent in Los Angeles, London, Genova, Palermo, Paris and Kuala Lumpur were unfortunate for the atmosphere i was obliged to inhale?

Above are my globe-trotting, big city name drops and Vancouver remains at the very top of the list for 'environmental pleasant-ness'.... unless the persistent nuisance caused by mossies is to be considered.....
Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:37 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree that because it's a natural event this makes the air quality comparison invalid - it is what it is. I stand by my statement that yesterdays air quality is the worst that I have ever experienced in a city. I'm sure there are places where the air is a lot worse - but I've not been to those places. When the air is, in my experience, cleaner in large asian cities reknowned for their poor air quality, I don't think it's unreasonable or negative to comment on it.

Today is better fortunately - hopefully there will be some rain or wind and the air will get back to the usual high standard it is here (and I'll get my view back and be able to run the 10k round the park without feeling like I'm smoking a cigar at the same time).
The problem is not just the smoke. There is moisture coming in from a maritime airmass right now as well as a high pressure area keeping the air pollutants lower down and locked in between the mountains. Once the high pressure weakens (maybe tonight or Sat) the air quality should improve.

I was in Van earlier this week and was quite surprised not to be able to see the North Shore mountains from the Second Narrows! Worst I have seen in 20 years.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by The Aviator
I was in Van earlier this week and was quite surprised not to be able to see the North Shore mountains from the Second Narrows! Worst I have seen in 20 years.
Above are my globe-trotting, big city name drops and Vancouver remains at the very top of the list for 'environmental pleasant-ness'
I never said it wasn't. Vancouver has on average the cleanest air of any city I've lived in. Yesterday sucked though - from my balcony I could just about see the outline of grouse mountain through the smog, seymour and cypress however, had completely disappeared into the smoke.

.. unless the persistent nuisance caused by mossies is to be considered.....
I've never seen any mosquitos in Vancouver. I think they are an urban myth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.