British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Vancouver - Furnished homes - short term rental (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/vancouver-furnished-homes-short-term-rental-635180/)

Yelkcub Oct 12th 2009 12:56 am

Vancouver - Furnished homes - short term rental

Hi

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding possible Furnished homes on a short term rental basis in Vancouver? I know that you may pay more for this but we have two young uns and as such want some creature comforts whilst until the shipping arrives.

Also if you indent to reside in Vancouver, do you have to arrive there? We were thinking of going to the East Coast and driving / take train across (once in a life time opportunity) so your thoughts would be welcomed.

Yelkcub

Aviator Oct 12th 2009 1:25 am

Re: Vancouver - Furnished homes - short term rental

Furnished rentals are rare (I have never seen one advertised), as are short term. Most landlords are looking for longer term commitments. You may want to investigate suite hotels/motels for short term rental.
Once landed, you can live where you like if you are on PR.

Yelkcub Oct 12th 2009 1:43 am

Originally Posted by The Aviator (Post 8009095)
Once landed, you can live where you like if you are on PR.

Thanks for that. We might have to look at purchasing a few items of furniture on the quick then.

With regard to landing, this means we can land anywhere and then travel onwards. As stated earlier, we might look at landing on the East Cost and travelling over via train / car (this will allow us to have a once in a life time journey across the country). Anyone got any positive / negative comments (we are looking at arriving in March 2010)?

manitobain Oct 12th 2009 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Yelkcub (Post 8009126)
Thanks for that. We might have to look at purchasing a few items of furniture on the quick then.

With regard to landing, this means we can land anywhere and then travel onwards. As stated earlier, we might look at landing on the East Cost and travelling over via train / car (this will allow us to have a once in a life time journey across the country). Anyone got any positive / negative comments (we are looking at arriving in March 2010)?

Hello, if you arrive in March.. I wouldn't suggest the car. Not much fun driving long distance in winter.

If I understand you right.. u have little ones? (lol..sorry..new here and not used to british accent/slang(?)
My daughter travelled this summer from Quebec City to Portage La Prairie (MB) via train with 3 kids (2,5,7) and wouldn't recommend it. It took her 2 1/2 days for that stretch and even a portable dvd player didn't do the trick in the end. And hey.. MB is only half ways.. and Quebec City is not on the East Coast either.

Aviator Oct 12th 2009 2:22 am

Go by train, there is a lot of flat grassland across the middle of the country. The prairies are so flat you could watch your dog running away for a week!

Another thought might be to train it to Edmonton and then drive down to Vancouver.

lousid Oct 12th 2009 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Yelkcub (Post 8009026)
Hi

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding possible Furnished homes on a short term rental basis in Vancouver? I know that you may pay more for this but we have two young uns and as such want some creature comforts whilst until the shipping arrives.

Also if you indent to reside in Vancouver, do you have to arrive there? We were thinking of going to the East Coast and driving / take train across (once in a life time opportunity) so your thoughts would be welcomed.

Yelkcub

Try this link:

http://sites.google.com/site/vancouv...k-availability

Cheers
Sid

The4BellsLondon Oct 12th 2009 4:57 am

This lot sometimes have houses / larger apartments too. .
http://www.hscr.com/

goodpikey Oct 12th 2009 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Yelkcub (Post 8009026)
Hi

Yelkcub

how short term are you thinking of renting.
there are furnished suites right off robson street in the heart of vancouver. if i can find them again i will post the link but i think if it's for a month a two it would be fine.

what price range had you in mind? also what date as you have to remember the olympics are on in feb/mar and all prices are rocketing up for this period!!

adele Oct 12th 2009 8:07 am

Level is a brand new development on Seymour at Nelson in the heart of downtown:

http://stayinglevel.com/

Pricey though!

Frank'n Sense Oct 13th 2009 9:39 pm

Hi,

There are quite a lot of furnished rentals available on the north shore, but they don't get advertised too often (if at all). We have a rental partner who deals with this area and only furnished rentals - she has about 800 places on her books. It is worth a try if you are interested.

A problem we often see is that landlords will not commit too far in advance because this tends to leave them with short gaps they cannot easily fill. So you have to look much nearer your arrival time than is comfortable. I know cos that happened to us when we moved here. But we had a back up booking at a hotel just in case - and did not need it.

There are some rentals on http://www.suitelandings.com and I'd try craigslist too.

Warmly,

Frank

Iain Mc Oct 13th 2009 10:12 pm

We landed in Calgary, went back to the UK to tidy up jobs, houses etc. and then headed back to Vancouver; you can land where you like (as a PR).

On the once-in-a-lifetime thing, have you considered taking the ship across? We went Southampton-New York by sea and then on to Vancouver by air (would have taken the train up to Toronto and then across but unfortunately didn't have time - the ship was just great through - quite the emigration experience!). I think at certain times of year you can get up to Halifax with Cunard but that may require disembarkation in New York.

Cheers, Iain

Rob_999 Oct 13th 2009 10:18 pm

http://www.bruceward.com/
These guys do furnished short term apartment rentals - we used them for before as have friends. They tend to be pricey, but will include absolutely everything, including monthly utility, cable and internet so factor that into your decision.

Novocastrian Oct 13th 2009 10:37 pm

As stated earlier, we might look at landing on the East Cost and travelling over via train / car (this will allow us to have a once in a life time journey across the country). Anyone got any positive / negative comments?

A positive one from me. Back in the dim past (1977 to be precise) we were headed to a job in Southern California and, being impoverished at the time, we took the cheapest travel options. That consisted of flying Heathrow to New York with Laker Airlines (remember them?), and then getting an Amtrak rail pass good for a month or so.

We travelled fitfully from NY to LA via New Orleans and various other stops, which was not only fun, but also provided a feel for the huge, I mean huge, size of the country. We'd never have appreciated that by simply flying over it.

sac_de_loup Oct 13th 2009 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Rob_999 (Post 8014105)
http://www.bruceward.com/
These guys do furnished short term apartment rentals - we used them for before as have friends. They tend to be pricey, but will include absolutely everything, including monthly utility, cable and internet so factor that into your decision.

I can recommend these, although they won't do anything larger than an apartment, 2-bed at that. It's possible some of their owners might have a "no children" policy like many places have a "no pets" policy.

terese677 Oct 14th 2009 2:21 am

and we started off with a furnished basement from vacation rentals by owner and look for Vancouver
www.vrbo.com