Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver is expensive

Vancouver is expensive

Old Aug 11th 2013, 5:03 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver is expensive

the main advantage to owning over renting is your landlord can't kick you out when they want to sell (this has happened to a few people I know, families with kids so it's a big deal). But I agree renting is a good option too.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 7:32 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
the main advantage to owning over renting is your landlord can't kick you out when they want to sell (this has happened to a few people I know, families with kids so it's a big deal). But I agree renting is a good option too.
My friends in E Van are going to have to find a new place soon exactly because of that, after paying $1200 - $1400/month + utilities for nearly 20 years. Before they rented that house it took them about 15 years and 2 moves before they found a place they liked, and now they're starting again. I think they're fairly stressed out as a result.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 10:41 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
My friends in E Van are going to have to find a new place soon exactly because of that, after paying $1200 - $1400/month + utilities for nearly 20 years. Before they rented that house it took them about 15 years and 2 moves before they found a place they liked, and now they're starting again. I think they're fairly stressed out as a result.
another friend sold condo and wanted to rent, but couldn't find anywhere in their target location that took pets and small children. They ended up buying.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 10:57 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Whats Oliver and the surrounds like? Was over Penticton this week and really loved it. I would be quite interested in a move to the Okanagan. Vancouver is becoming over crowded, while it seems no attempt is made to sort out the traffic and its way too expensive.

What is the obsession with bloody bike lines?!
Old Aug 11th 2013, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Whats Oliver and the surrounds like? Was over Penticton this week and really loved it. I would be quite interested in a move to the Okanagan. Vancouver is becoming over crowded, while it seems no attempt is made to sort out the traffic and its way too expensive.

I love them.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I would never expect traffic to ever be sorted in Vancouver, their goal I swear is to make driving such a pain in the ass, that people just stop coming to the city.

The city wants people onto bikes and transit, but Translink is having a difficult time even maintain service, let alone add any new service. The transit system is breaking at the seams, and only getting worse.

Skytrain has regular maintenance issues as its aging and they waited too long to start replacing aging parts, so now we have unreliable service.

Canadaline is okay, but its still new, but trains are very crowded most of the day, doesn't run frequently enough into Richmond, with every other train going to YVR basically completely empty. (and because of the crappy hours of the train, most who work at YVR have to drive to work.)

Buses on trunk routes don't run frequently enough, always full, and many times have to skip stops because there is physically no room left on the bus.

As a frequent transit user it becomes very frustrating as nothing runs on time. The norm is for a bus to be 5-10 minutes late, sometimes the bus just doesn't show up at all.

As for bikes, it only really pertains to a small part of the people work and come to Vancouver, its not an alternative for most people.

It will be interesting if the Vancouver region can keep traffic flowing and not become gridlocked.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 11th 2013 at 11:37 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:48 am

No one likes change, but it's necessary. Vancouver can't build more roads - where would they go? who is willing to lose their neighbourhood to more highways? oh that's right, no one.

Agree we need more transit funding, however.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 1:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

No one likes change, but it's necessary. Vancouver can't build more roads - where would they go? who is willing to lose their neighbourhood to more highways? oh that's right, no one.

Agree we need more transit funding, however.
I hate to see Vancouver in 20 years, at the rate the area is going, its gonna be a parking lot.

Transit funding needs to be top priority for the region and province, but sadly it seems to not be.

I wish BC would create a more regional train/bus system like the GO system in Ontario, nice not needing a car at all despite living in Oshawa, could still get to Toronto and western suburbs easily pretty much anytime during the day.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I hate to see Vancouver in 20 years, at the rate the area is going, its gonna be a parking lot.

Transit funding needs to be top priority for the region and province, but sadly it seems to not be.

I wish BC would create a more regional train/bus system like the GO system in Ontario, nice not needing a car at all despite living in Oshawa, could still get to Toronto and western suburbs easily pretty much anytime during the day.
I don't think it will. Car driving is dropping as a proportion of trips downtown and more transit improvements will come. And cycling is so much safer and more doable thanks to the bike lanes - more and more people are cycling in.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 1:45 am
Account Closed

I don't think it will. Car driving is dropping as a proportion of trips downtown and more transit improvements will come. And cycling is so much safer and more doable thanks to the bike lanes - more and more people are cycling in.
I hope transit does improve, just not sure anyone in government wants to fund it.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 2:27 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I hope transit does improve, just not sure anyone in government wants to fund it.
Translink are without a doubt the worst run company ive worked for. Completely clueless. Took us on last year and now cutting routes and hours when disabled/seniors have to book trips 2 weeks in advance and even then they cant get a pick up.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 2:34 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

They're ruining what little vibrancy the city had. Another case of Vancouver with a delusional attitude to its position and value as a city.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 2:56 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

We love it there. Have spent holidays next to Skaha Lake in Penticton for the last three years. It is on our (very) short list of retirement destinations. Great range of housing and Kelowna not far away for all the larger faculties.

We have been there in different months - May, July and Sept/Oct - and have always had good weather. We moved here from Poole and feel very land locked in Calgary - the Okanagan Lake is as close to being at the seaside as we have found

Also love all the fresh fruit and veggies and the hills of vineyards - it is so picturesque. When we posted our holiday pictures for friends and family to see we had people ask us where the Okanagan was in Europe?!?!!?

J
Old Aug 12th 2013, 3:18 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jingle

We have been there in different months - May, July and Sept/Oct - and have always had good weather.
If you like the sunny winters in Calgary you might want to spend some time in the Okanagan in December, January, February before you make your decision final.

http://kelowna.weatherstats.ca/winners.html?42
Old Aug 12th 2013, 3:27 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
If you like the sunny winters in Calgary you might want to spend some time in the Okanagan in December, January, February before you make your decision final.

http://kelowna.weatherstats.ca/winners.html?42
I would have agreed with you a few years ago but the last two winters in Calgary have been appalling, didn't see many sunny winter days at all. To be honest the six months of snow covered scenery is wearing a bit thin. Walking the dog turns into a winter sport of its own!

I'm truly missing the spring flowers and variety of trees, fruit blossom, song birds, etc etc. and, to me, that's worth going back to living a grey winter if necessary.

J

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.