Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver - Dream or Nightmare??

Vancouver - Dream or Nightmare??

Old May 14th 2013, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver - Dream or Nightmare??

Originally Posted by JamesM
Pretty much the same in Toronto.
I don't understand this.

I was referred to a senior manager in an office by their manager. I emailed, called, followed up - no response. What is with that?! Isnt it just basic manners?
Old May 21st 2013, 8:58 am
b2b
Just Joined

b2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really nice
Default Re: Vancouver - Dream or Nightmare??

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I think the issue isn't just that it's a tough city to get a job in, but also that the attitude of employers/HR is basically zero respect for candidates:
* they never post the salary or tell you the salary until the very end of the process - potentially wasting everyone's time.
* I have gone to interviews where the person interviewing me looks at my resume for the first time at the interview and realises I'm not suitable.
* I have received emails that have asked me for a time to schedule an interview, only for them to reply a week later telling me they have chosen other candidates and there won't be an interview.
* A lot of established tech companies that make multiple millions a year like to talk about themselves like they are "startups" so they can make their employees work long hours in cheap offices.
It's an appalling place to be looking for work. Candidates are considered desperate and at the mercy of the recruiter. They don't have the spine to be honest with you; no acknowledgement of your application, after an interview no feedback or explanation unless they want to take it further. It's a disgusting practice really.

Everyone seems to get jobs because they know someone, so the ones advertised are often problem jobs. It's an incredibly insular place and completely contrary to its reputation. I for one am glad I left, although geographically the place is amazing and I really miss that.