Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver - Dream or Nightmare??

Vancouver - Dream or Nightmare??

Old May 12th 2013, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

job_seeker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vancouver - Dream or Nightmare??

Me and my husband have had a chance to visit and stay in Vancouver for shrort durations in the past. This was because my husband had opportunities to work onshore/onsite in Vancouver. Ever since, Vancouver became our dream city and we loved every aspect of our stay! Having said that - there was nothing to dislike - job was already arranged, accomodation would be provided by the office, so there was no stress what so ever!

The situation is different now however! Now we are looking forward to settle down in Vancouver and uderstand that things are not easy to get around in terms of finding a job and managing finances! What scares me is that we already have an Australian PR and gave up on a good paying job opportunity to be able to move to Canada! We don't mind the sturggle (we dont have Canadian PR, so it's going to be a long wait!)... but I just hope that this doesn't prove to be a devastating decision!

Came across a few blogs about Vancouver and people souneded really frustrated and kind of regereted the decision of moving to Vancouver- mainly because of the difficulty in finding a job! Is the job market really so cramped and hopeless?? This scares me to death... On an average, how would you rate the chances of getting a decent job (which would pay you enough to supprort average living)? Irrespective of the field, can one hope of finding an open/odd job just to start with? Also, if I have a PhD offer with CAD 21K annual stipend, is that enough to support living in Vancouver or I would have to pay extra from my pocket? M talking about an average lifestyle - nothing fancy!!

Thanks...
Old May 12th 2013, 5:41 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver - Dream or Nightmare??

Originally Posted by job_seeker
Me and my husband have had a chance to visit and stay in Vancouver for shrort durations in the past. This was because my husband had opportunities to work onshore/onsite in Vancouver. Ever since, Vancouver became our dream city and we loved every aspect of our stay! Having said that - there was nothing to dislike - job was already arranged, accomodation would be provided by the office, so there was no stress what so ever!

The situation is different now however! Now we are looking forward to settle down in Vancouver and uderstand that things are not easy to get around in terms of finding a job and managing finances! What scares me is that we already have an Australian PR and gave up on a good paying job opportunity to be able to move to Canada! We don't mind the sturggle (we dont have Canadian PR, so it's going to be a long wait!)... but I just hope that this doesn't prove to be a devastating decision!

Came across a few blogs about Vancouver and people souneded really frustrated and kind of regereted the decision of moving to Vancouver- mainly because of the difficulty in finding a job! Is the job market really so cramped and hopeless?? This scares me to death... On an average, how would you rate the chances of getting a decent job (which would pay you enough to supprort average living)? Irrespective of the field, can one hope of finding an open/odd job just to start with? Also, if I have a PhD offer with CAD 21K annual stipend, is that enough to support living in Vancouver or I would have to pay extra from my pocket? M talking about an average lifestyle - nothing fancy!!

Thanks...
No way could you survive in Vancouver on $21k, or anywhere I would think, for that if you have rent or a mortgage to pay.

No way for anyone to tell you the chances you have of getting a job, first off you would have to get a work permit. Probably getting a minimum wage job somewhere is quite possible.

I came to Can with a couple of job offers, good income and found it quite easy, others have had different experiences. Which camp you fit into, only time will tell.

If you have AUS PR and nothing for Canada, it would be a no brainer for me.
Old May 12th 2013, 5:45 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know anyone who wants to work that cannot find a job. However, there are certainly people who are under-employed - people working for less money, in a more junior position, or in a different role than they want or feel is suitable for them. This is pretty much the immigrant experience. A good rule of thumb is that it will take an average of five years to get your career and finances back on track.

Vancouver is not a very corporate city and, unless you are in resource extraction of some sort, there are a limited number of some types of career positions. You don't say what sort of jobs you are looking for so it is difficult to offer any more than generalized advice.

A recent survey concluded that in BC (across the province, not just in Vancouver) a family of 2 adults and 2 kids would need a gross annual family income of $80,000 to live a reasonable lifestyle. A few years ago a similar survey concluded than a similar family would need $100,000 a year if they wanted to get on the housing ladder in Vancouver.

A lot will depend on your housing costs but if you can't find subsidized housing of some sort a $21k stipend will be really bare bones living.
Old May 12th 2013, 5:46 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
If you have AUS PR and nothing for Canada, it would be a no brainer for me.
+1

I fail to see why the OP want's to take such a risk.

Why not come over for an extended holiday for a few months and go back to where you have PR and a job?
Old May 12th 2013, 6:31 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by job_seeker

Thanks...
Its designed for young adults who live with their parents not for a grown up.
Old May 12th 2013, 8:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

No way could you survive in Vancouver on $21k, or anywhere I would think, for that if you have rent or a mortgage to pay.
Plenty of people do live off that and sometimes less, and still manage to pay rent and have a life.
Old May 12th 2013, 9:01 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Plenty of people do live off that and sometimes less, and still manage to pay rent and have a life.
Thats tough here in NS with cheap housing, I cant imagine what it would be like in Vancouver
Old May 12th 2013, 9:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Its designed for young adults who live with their parents not for a grown up.
True. But the OP mentions a husband. However she doesn't mention what he does, if he has a job lined up, or anything at all really.

I've had mature graduate students from all over the place who've managed on a stipend, but most, no all, had support from family one way or the other.

Perhaps there was one (from Somalia) who didn't. He was rubbish though.
Old May 12th 2013, 9:03 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Cannot imagine how in Vancouver, or even suburbs for that matter. Rent has to be at least $1000 a month, $12000, utilities & insurance $150 a month $1800, groceries, $600 a month, $7200, so far $21000. Not much left for transport, clothing and social.

There is always Yahk or Spuzzum, rents are low there.
Old May 12th 2013, 9:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Cannot imagine how in Vancouver, or even suburbs for that matter. Rent has to be at least $1000 a month, $12000, utilities & insurance $150 a month $1800, groceries, $600 a month, $7200, so far $21000. Not much left for transport, clothing and social.
As someone who never had more than $21k here for a family of four - albeit mortgage free (but still insurance, property tax and water) - this naturally interests me.

I see kijiji has rooms there for $400 (ore even less) with all utilities (including internet) included.

No idea where located - although skytrain gets several mentions - but they don't sound like slums. They sound like normal flat-shares.

Of course, they don't compare to executive style living but it would seem manageable from $1500 a month. Even for two.
Old May 12th 2013, 10:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
As someone who never had more than $21k here for a family of four - albeit mortgage free (but still insurance, property tax and water) - this naturally interests me.

I see kijiji has rooms there for $400 (ore even less) with all utilities (including internet) included.

No idea where located - although skytrain gets several mentions - but they don't sound like slums. They sound like normal flat-shares.

Of course, they don't compare to executive style living but it would seem manageable from $1500 a month. Even for two.
That's all well and good. But a PhD student has to pay Graduate Tuition Fees from their stipend. About $7500 per year at for example UBC. (International Student). OTOH, a Stipend is not taxable.

Last edited by Novocastrian; May 12th 2013 at 10:21 pm.
Old May 12th 2013, 10:31 pm

The OP wants an 'average' lifestyle and a room and $1750 a month might not offer what they are looking for. $21000 a year in Vancouver is not average. The may also be tax to pay on the stipend, they should investigate whether it is taxable or not http://www.ubc.ca/okanagan/provost-r...75R4-E6191.pdf
Old May 12th 2013, 11:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
That's all well and good. But a PhD student has to pay Graduate Tuition Fees from their stipend. About $7500 per year at for example UBC. (International Student). OTOH, a Stipend is not taxable.
The OP wants an 'average' lifestyle and a room and $1750 a month might not offer what they are looking for. $21000 a year in Vancouver is not average. The may also be tax to pay on the stipend, they should investigate whether it is taxable or not http://www.ubc.ca/okanagan/provost-r...75R4-E6191.pdf
I was just addressing the general issue of people living on $21k gross or less as suggested by Jsmth321 and that would be about $1500 a month after the usual tax allowances.

For people who do that it IS a normal or average lifestyle.

Isn't that amount minimum wage-ish even in BC?

Last edited by BristolUK; May 12th 2013 at 11:55 pm.
Old May 13th 2013, 12:33 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I was just addressing the general issue of people living on $21k gross or less as suggested by Jsmth321 and that would be about $1500 a month after the usual tax allowances.

Yeah, they're called the "working poor". Or in this case, the student poor. It's fine. We've done it to survive, living off my 10 dollar an hour job. But it's very much living on legumes, shopping at Salvation army, can't afford to go away etc, and we would have ended up going gradually into debt (we also had a kid though).
Old May 13th 2013, 12:45 am

I doubt this is an average lifestyle for Vancouver though. Minimum wage, two earners would likely survive. Minimum wage, one earner in Vancouver, will be very tough and just about survival.

'Normal' is what you are used to. Average is more the majority, which in Vancouver is not $21k pa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.