British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Vancouver, don't get it. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/vancouver-dont-get-759654/)

ExKiwilass May 29th 2012 2:59 am

Re: Vancouver, don't get it.

thanks guys.

I also wanted to point out that that's why downtown has so many glass towers, so Vancouverites can admire themselves from multiple angles as they walk down the street.

shhhh May 29th 2012 3:43 am

Originally Posted by ireland2canada (Post 10088530)
That's exactly how I would sum it up.

From a tourist perspective, it's a reasonable place to visit, especially if you are into outdoors activities. I liked Stanley Park, Gastown and the little ferries. Kits bored me to death, I had imagined a Vancouver version of The Beach in Toronto. UBC is so far removed from anything I don't know how the students function! The natural setting is very nice but is marred by the ugliness of the city itself. It is a shame to have a wonderful view ruined by some buildings that would not look out of place in Soviet Russia. I liked Capilano Bridge and the surrounding area. It was fun to be on boats. It's not very busy so being on the trains and buses was pleasant and it seems quite safe, we wandered the DTES without being traumatised.

From an immigrant perspective, IMO, it's a no go. I struggle to see how Vancouver is an aspirational place to live for people from the UK. It is isolated globally, that's one long flight to Europe. Housing costs (for the city proper) are appalling value for money. Rental costs did not seem excessive however, I would prefer to choose whether I rent or buy, not to have that decision made for me. Given the relatively small population, I have to wonder how the job market is?

The weather sucks. While we shivered and ducked for cover, Ontario basked in hot sunshine. I came to the non-scientific conclusion that people who move to Vancouver must be from places that are ugly, the natural setting seems to be the best feature of the city. I come from somewhere reasonably pretty, with a daily commute that took in unspoiled greenery on one side and a Lough on the other. So, while I thought Vancouver looked nice, I'm afraid that doesn't cut it. I would want a serious hike in income to persuade me to move there. Even then, I would be very sad to have to carry around an umbrella once again.

Granted a few days is not a lengthy visit, however, it is enough to form an impression of the place and I am not compelled to return to the city itself. I'm glad to have seen it, but for the cost of flights and time spent getting there I could have gone back home. The upshot of the trip was Seattle, a bustling, fun kind of place with excellent Alaskan cod burgers.

I'm not entirely sure it takes all that much longer to fly to Europe from Toronto than Vancouver. You may also notice the closer proximity to China, Japan, US west coast, etc, and the cosmopoliton population, so I'm not entirely sure how isolated globally applies
I recall someone from Ontario describing the weather there as bone chilling cold in the winter and hot like an armpit in the summer - I think I'll live with the rain

By the way, where/what is Guelph - must be good? ;)
(That kind of made me feel smug ;) )

el_richo May 29th 2012 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 10088597)
To follow on from that, I first visited Vancouver in the mid-1990s. Something about the place struck me and it strikes me every time I go back. I was last there late last year, for a meeting. The guy I was talking with is a Vancouverite by origin but lived in the US for years. He described Vancouverites as "smug". I used "up themselves" but we were essentially reading from the same script.

I've said this before but from what i've seen, the smug cloud covers the entire province, with extra thickness over VI.

dbd33 May 29th 2012 3:49 am

Originally Posted by shhhh (Post 10088863)
the cosmopoliton population

In Vancouver? That Vancouver in British Columbia? I haven't been anywhere so white in years.

JonboyE May 29th 2012 3:52 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 10088873)
In Vancouver? That Vancouver in British Columbia? I haven't been anywhere so white in years.

Don't get out much?

ExKiwilass May 29th 2012 3:54 am

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 10088879)
Don't get out much?

Um, yeah. That's just weird.

dbd33 May 29th 2012 3:56 am

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 10088879)
Don't get out much?

In Vancouver? Sure, walked all over, went to a university, went to an "Indian" restaurant, for someone used to Toronto it's a jolt to see such a homogenous population. Not wrong, of course, but very different.

ireland2canada May 29th 2012 4:03 am

Originally Posted by shhhh (Post 10088863)
I'm not entirely sure it takes all that much longer to fly to Europe from Toronto than Vancouver. You may also notice the closer proximity to China, Japan, US west coast, etc, and the cosmopoliton population, so I'm not entirely sure how isolated globally applies
I recall someone from Ontario describing the weather there as bone chilling cold in the winter and hot like an armpit in the summer - I think I'll live with the rain

By the way, where/what is Guelph - must be good? ;)
(That kind of made me feel smug ;) )

Guelph is a small town in Wellington County, Ontario. It works for me as Vancouver seemingly works for many.

My post was a personal perspective of Vancouver based on a recent visit, no more and no less, so I don't suppose you are required to understand it.

The comment regarding global isolation is quite simple, it is further to travel to get back home, further to get to Paris, for example.

If Vancouver is cosmopolitan by West Coast standards then very good, having lived in Toronto I cannot help but compare the two and I found Vancouver much less mixed. Then again, it was a short visit and it's not a competition.

JonboyE May 29th 2012 4:04 am

Originally Posted by Kiwilass (Post 10088888)
Um, yeah. That's just weird.

Standard dbd33 style: post a load of bollocks and see how many people you can wind up by defending the indefensible.

ireland2canada May 29th 2012 4:10 am

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 10088906)
Standard dbd33 style: post a load of bollocks and see how many people you can wind up by defending the indefensible.

Are you upset about the 'cosmopolitan' comments? Perhaps a comparison with Toronto is unfair but it's the best I have, I found Vancouver to be much less mixed. I noticed very few black people, for example. I accept that I was not really looking however, in hindsight, I don't believe that I saw many. Are there different ethnic neighbourhoods in Vancouver, a concentration of Somali people (for example) in one place that we probably missed? I'm genuinely curious.

ExKiwilass May 29th 2012 4:14 am

Originally Posted by ireland2canada (Post 10088916)
Are you upset about the 'cosmopolitan' comments? Perhaps a comparison with Toronto is unfair but it's the best I have, I found Vancouver to be much less mixed. I noticed very few black people, for example. I accept that I was not really looking however, in hindsight, I don't believe that I saw many. Are there different ethnic neighbourhoods in Vancouver, a concentration of Somali people (for example) in one place that we probably missed? I'm genuinely curious.

I find it weird that, in posts like this, the only people who count as non-homogenous are black.

That's weird.

And yes, there aren't a lot of black people in Van -that's true. But there are lots of Asia-Pacific people, with all their different languages and cultures and stuff, around 50% of the population in Van I believe. Cos, like, Vancouver is a pacific city, not an Atlantic one. But I guess they don't count? I dunno. It's weird.

dbd33 May 29th 2012 4:37 am

Originally Posted by Kiwilass (Post 10088920)
I find it weird that, in posts like this, the only people who count as non-homogenous are black.

That's weird.

And yes, there aren't a lot of black people in Van -that's true. But there are lots of Asia-Pacific people, with all their different languages and cultures and stuff. Cos, like, Vancouver is a pacific city, not an Atlantic one. But I guess they don't count? I dunno. It's weird.

I suppose we'd just come from Seattle, Seattle has a genuinely mixed population so Vancouver seemed even less diverse than it otherwise would. Still, Vancouver has whites and Asians but most places in North America have whites and Asians. Toronto has other groups too. It just doesn't seem diverse to have a city with, for example, few visible black or Arab people.

JonboyE May 29th 2012 4:38 am

I think that describing the student population of UBC as homogeneous is willful perverseness at its finest.

ExKiwilass May 29th 2012 4:40 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 10088980)
I suppose we'd just come from Seattle, Seattle has a genuinely mixed population so Vancouver seemed even less diverse than it otherwise would. Still, Vancouver has whites and Asians but most places in North America have whites and Asians. Toronto has other groups too. It just doesn't seem diverse to have a city with, for example, few visible black or Arab people.

It's very interesting that you focus only on black and Arab people as diverse.

It's also very interesting that to you, Asians are all lumped together. Like one homogenous group.

ExKiwilass May 29th 2012 4:40 am

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 10088982)
I think that describing the student population of UBC as homogeneous is willful perverseness at its finest.

Agreed - insane.