Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver, don't get it.

Vancouver, don't get it.

Old May 29th 2012, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver, don't get it.

James... If I could 'like' this post, then I would
Old May 29th 2012, 7:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kswoosh
Hint: hit the 'karma' button on the left.

And then read the 'Newcomers to the Forum' sticky thread which explains how to do stuff like this.
Old May 29th 2012, 7:54 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

First ever live compliment

<Puts coat on and leaves with a bright red face>

<Glances back making sure door does not hit him on the way out>
Old May 29th 2012, 8:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

If you really think that a legitimate reason for disliking Canada is the lack of 99s flakes... then you seriously need to reconsider your priorities.
It's a legitmate reason, perhaps not central to my thinking to date but I'll reconsider.
Old May 29th 2012, 8:19 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

This thread appears to have been a real "hot topic" this afternoon.

But did anyone get any work done or achieve something useful?

Surely we can put our collective minds to better use? I've often wondered if a social enterprise could be formed by the fine minds here, what with the varieties of skills and experiences. Am I on my own,with this notion, here?

<snaps out of day dream and heads for fridge>
Old May 29th 2012, 8:23 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Are you being hugely sarcastic or are you actually upset that I mentioned some things I did not like about Vancouver? That's a genuine question, I find it quite difficult these days to distinguish between posters who are being tongue in cheek, those who are being really passive aggressive and those who are properly upset.

I think you are confusing me with someone else, I have not mentioned subways (in fact, I said that the buses and trains were pleasant). And no where have I said that I am "an authority on Vancouver". If I mentioned either of these items, it will be in writing on this thread. If you can point me to the post number, I'll be happy to look at it.

Why is it so unacceptable to you for someone to visit Vancouver from another part of Canada and to type out their thoughts on that visit? I quite enjoyed the trip and thought I was quite within my right to have an opinion on the place.
Opinons are like arse hole...eveyone has one and I don't care if you like it or not. What i dont have time for are conclusions like..."only someone from somewhere ugly would move here" .."where are the black people" it's too isolated from Paris.....etc. At least you didn't bang on about the price of cheese.

My comment about subways was in referrence to dbd (who i have now been informed your are with...sorry i didn't realize that at the time) he was wandering around georgia wondering where the subway was.
Old May 29th 2012, 8:26 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's a legitmate reason, perhaps not central to my thinking to date but I'll reconsider.
There are lovely to eat. I suppose you could just buy a couple of Flakes and stick them in an ice cream cone but that's probably not the point is it? The beauty of a 99 is the spontaneity of the purchase just at that most exquisite moment in the right place. It's the same with kebabs with me.

Last edited by Oink; May 29th 2012 at 8:28 pm.
Old May 29th 2012, 8:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
There are lovely to eat. I suppose you could just buy a couple of Flakes and stick them in an ice cream cone but that's probably not the point is it? The beauty of a 99 is the spontaneity of the purchase just at that most exquisite moment in the right place. It's the same with kebabs with me.
Or chesnuts.
Old May 29th 2012, 10:10 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boy d
Opinons are like arse hole...eveyone has one and I don't care if you like it or not. What i dont have time for are conclusions like..."only someone from somewhere ugly would move here" .."where are the black people" it's too isolated from Paris.....etc. At least you didn't bang on about the price of cheese.

My comment about subways was in referrence to dbd (who i have now been informed your are with...sorry i didn't realize that at the time) he was wandering around georgia wondering where the subway was.
Then here's another opinion for you, you come across as an insufferable bully and have been nothing short of rude and offensive in your postings. I appreciate that you are in good company in this particular thread which has been a fine example of that sort of thread vulturism. I've done nothing to you that I am aware of, so you would do well to dredge up some semblance of manners.

I don't need to know how you became confused about the subway, so long as you accept that you were indeed referencing the wrong poster.
Old May 29th 2012, 11:07 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Then here's another opinion for you, you come across as an insufferable bully and have been nothing short of rude and offensive in your postings. I appreciate that you are in good company in this particular thread which has been a fine example of that sort of thread vulturism. I've done nothing to you that I am aware of, so you would do well to dredge up some semblance of manners.

I don't need to know how you became confused about the subway, so long as you accept that you were indeed referencing the wrong poster.
Old May 29th 2012, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

If you really think that a legitimate reason for disliking Canada is the lack of 99s flakes... then you seriously need to reconsider your priorities.
Agree - that's just silly.

One thing you have to remember when looking at moving to Vancouver/Canada is that its NOT England. That's what's good about it.
Agree.

I don't know why everyone is so obessesed with comparing Vancouver to London and Toronto. Especially given that the reason Vancouver is so good is because its NOT London or Toronto.

Don't get me wrong, I like both cities, but Vancouver offers something different.
No two cities are the same - which is great. So there's nothing wrong with comparisons. They might actually help people decide on where to live - or at least get people thinking. As I said before, Vancouver is great if you're the outdoors type. Mountains, ocean, etc. The winters are relatively mild. The summers are warm and sunny but not oppressive. But if you're looking for entertainment, nightlife, etc then it doesn't compare well to Toronto or Montreal in my opinion.

When I was in my mid 20s, I spent a lot of time in Vancouver and I found the city to be a bit dull to be honest - albeit in a spectacular setting. I much preferred Toronto and Montreal simply because of what my priorities and preferences were at that time. Now that I'm married with kids, my priorities and preferences have changed. Vancouver might well look much more appealing to me at this stage of my life. It's not a case of one city being better than the other. That's all subjective and much depends on one's circumstances. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old May 29th 2012, 11:32 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only one who likes Toronto AND Vancouver? I could live in either city and I'd be happy.
Old May 29th 2012, 11:44 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Am I the only one who likes Toronto AND Vancouver? I could live in either city and I'd be happy.
I actually liked toronto the few times I was there....could have done without the humidity though.

Bigger more happening place the vancouver. Apples to oranges and all that
Old May 29th 2012, 11:59 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
In an ideal world I'd happily spend December to April in Vancouver and the rest of the year here.

I like the snow sport opportunities and proximity to the urban jungle.

Last edited by JamesM; May 30th 2012 at 12:03 am.
Old May 30th 2012, 12:10 am
Banned

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Agree - that's just silly.

Agree.

No two cities are the same - which is great. So there's nothing wrong with comparisons. They might actually help people decide on where to live - or at least get people thinking. As I said before, Vancouver is great if you're the outdoors type. Mountains, ocean, etc. The winters are relatively mild. The summers are warm and sunny but not oppressive. But if you're looking for entertainment, nightlife, etc then it doesn't compare well to Toronto or Montreal in my opinion.

When I was in my mid 20s, I spent a lot of time in Vancouver and I found the city to be a bit dull to be honest - albeit in a spectacular setting. I much preferred Toronto and Montreal simply because of what my priorities and preferences were at that time. Now that I'm married with kids, my priorities and preferences have changed. Vancouver might well look much more appealing to me at this stage of my life. It's not a case of one city being better than the other. That's all subjective and much depends on one's circumstances. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Good point....Vancouver on the night life front is a c - .....not that I have been to a club in close to a decade.

Whiterock would have been too sleepy 15 years ago...suits me now though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.