Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver, don't get it.

Vancouver, don't get it.

Old May 30th 2012, 11:21 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver, don't get it.

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm rather surprised at the reaction to having stated our surprise at the population, I've never heard Vancouver described as being multicultural, rather it's thought of here as "Hongcouver", a bicultural place.
What you did say was

In Vancouver? That Vancouver in British Columbia? I haven't been anywhere so white in years.
Which is just not true. If you had added that last sentence then I suspect this thread would be many pages shorter.

Even then, it assumes that all white people are of one culture and all Asian people are of one culture. Which isn't true either.
Old May 30th 2012, 11:25 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidsk
But 60% are foreigners in London.
Maybe they work there but live in Dubai?
Old May 31st 2012, 12:34 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Can I do some statistics? London I know, Vancouver too, and I am a frequent visitor to Seattle. I have never been to Buffalo, Washington DC or Detroit so I can't comment. However, your statements on the first three did not ring true to me so I spent 5 minutes researching in depth in wikipedia. So this must be true:

London UK - 69% white, 11% black and 20% mixed or other.
Seattle WA - 69% white, 8% black and 23% other.
Vancouver BC - 47% white, 1% black and 52% other.

Conclusion is that there are a lot fewer black people in Vancouver than London or Seattle, and on that we can all agree.
wow, London is soooo much whiter than I thought.

Places I've been from dbd's list: Washington, DC, Toronto, Seattle, London. I really noticed the black/white segregation in Washington DC & Seattle. Less so in Toronto. London gives me claustrophobia, but there's alot going on which is nice.
Old May 31st 2012, 2:08 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidsk
Never been there, but walking with Google streetmap, I am not impressed either.

My neighbour lives here, but works in Vancouver.
Very informative view point...thx
Old May 31st 2012, 2:09 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I really noticed the black/white segregation in Washington DC
I haven't noticed that. Mind, I worked there at the Bureau of Prisons, the INS (when it was that and since it changed the name) and some defense related installations. All are governmental so I suppose they may have hiring quotas. When last there we went for a birthday party in a large, gimmicky, restaurant, Marrakesh. The crowd there was highly mixed. I've ridden on the subway, I haven't seen segregated cars. Of course, I'm not a member of a visible minority so I'm not attuned to all self-segregations, where did you notice segregation and what form did it take?
Old May 31st 2012, 2:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Even then, it assumes that all white people are of one culture and all Asian people are of one culture. Which isn't true either.
Well, no, there's no such assumption implied. I was just struck by the singular look of the people on the streets. "Washed out" one might call it, perhaps people of a range of hues move there and are rendered pallid by the climate.
Old May 31st 2012, 2:22 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't noticed that. Mind, I worked there at the Bureau of Prisons, the INS (when it was that and since it changed the name) and some defense related installations. All are governmental so I suppose they may have hiring quotas. When last there we went for a birthday party in a large, gimmicky, restaurant, Marrakesh. The crowd there was highly mixed. I've ridden on the subway, I haven't seen segregated cars. Of course, I'm not a member of a visible minority so I'm not attuned to all self-segregations, where did you notice segregation and what form did it take?
I went there a few times. Belly dancing and all that. You're right though, a bit of a 70s throw back with pictures of the 70s celebs who went there. Shit wine but that's understandable. It was in a bit of a dodgy neighbourhood if I remember.

But really DC? Its one of the most historically noted segregated cities I've ever been too.

Last edited by Oink; May 31st 2012 at 2:24 am.
Old May 31st 2012, 2:42 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Oink
I went there a few times. Belly dancing and all that. You're right though, a bit of a 70s throw back with pictures of the 70s celebs who went there. Shit wine but that's understandable. It was in a bit of a dodgy neighbourhood if I remember.
I don't think it can be that bad, on a previous occasion (the mate with the birthdays isn't a very original thinker) we walked there from Dupont Circle, nothing set me to thinking a cab would be prudent. I'm generally careful in Washington. I find the city to be more mixed than most, two blocks this way or that, and things suddenly look scary whereas, for example, in NYC you don't have to worry too much if you stay south of 110th (it's probably gentrified to 115th or something now) and in New Orleans (damn, forgot having just been there, that's not a very white place), the dangerous bits have handy Katrina signs painted on all the buildings.
Old May 31st 2012, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

DC is divided into 8 wards. Wards 2 & 3 in NW DC are predominantly white. Ward 1 borders these and, although there is a sizable white minority, blacks are the largest racial group. In all other wards (4,5,6,7,& 8), blacks form a pretty substantial majority. Basically more whites the further north/west you go - more blacks the further south/east you go.
Old May 31st 2012, 2:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Oink
But really DC? Its one of the most historically noted segregated cities I've ever been too.
Residentially, sure, people go home to different quadrants but, in the day, bustling streets of mixed crowds. As a visitor I don't think you'd notice segregation in the way that, say, driving in Chicago, you pass the L platform and everyone waiting there is black while everyone in a car in the traffic is white. Or, in Saint Louis, there are no white people at all (except me) on the subway thingy.
Old May 31st 2012, 2:54 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I was just struck by the singular look of the people on the streets. "Washed out" one might call it, perhaps people of a range of hues move there and are rendered pallid by the climate.
Old May 31st 2012, 11:49 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess, in a sense, that it is unfortunate that everyone knows of your connection to dbd33 as some of the reaction you got was related to his (presumably intentionally provocative) statement that Vancouver was the whitest place he had ever been. So, upset? No. Incredulous? For sure.
What is unfortunate is that some people saw fit to attack others for no justified reason, to add nothing constructive to the debate but to pounce on every post with hostility. That some posters would see me as fair game because they think it's ok to assume my opinion based on that of another poster is unacceptable and slightly disturbing. If that is not a "personal attack" however thinly veiled then I don't know what is and I have raised my concerns about that with a moderator.

Somehow, logging onto this forum has become part of my morning routine for the past 5 years or so. To be made to feel uncomfortable now doing so is a sad reflection of the personalities who have chosen to throw their weight around, and then try to pass it off as "piss taking". I have never experienced behaviour like this directed at me up until this week, although we've all seen the poor treatment some new posters get. I hope the contributors of this thread are pleased with themselves, I would not tolerate their attitude for a second in real life and I'm afraid the same goes for the internet.

<flounce>
Old May 31st 2012, 1:29 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
What is unfortunate is that some people saw fit to attack others for no justified reason, to add nothing constructive to the debate but to pounce on every post with hostility. That some posters would see me as fair game because they think it's ok to assume my opinion based on that of another poster is unacceptable and slightly disturbing. If that is not a "personal attack" however thinly veiled then I don't know what is and I have raised my concerns about that with a moderator.

Somehow, logging onto this forum has become part of my morning routine for the past 5 years or so. To be made to feel uncomfortable now doing so is a sad reflection of the personalities who have chosen to throw their weight around, and then try to pass it off as "piss taking". I have never experienced behaviour like this directed at me up until this week, although we've all seen the poor treatment some new posters get. I hope the contributors of this thread are pleased with themselves, I would not tolerate their attitude for a second in real life and I'm afraid the same goes for the internet.

<flounce>
Are you including your other half in this assessment?
Old May 31st 2012, 2:31 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone needs to calm down eh....

Last edited by iaink; May 31st 2012 at 2:35 pm.
Old May 31st 2012, 2:38 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
Are you including your other half in this assessment?
Could someone please explain this "other half" thing? Is there some inner sanctum thing going on here amongst posters I'm oblivious to? I thought the whole point of this forum was to share knowledge and experiences of immigrating and assimilating into a new life in a new country.

I find the whole petty squabbling that seems to go on a bit embarrasing and slightly distasteful.

Maybe I'm missing something....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.