Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver, don't get it.

Vancouver, don't get it.

Old May 30th 2012, 2:27 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver, don't get it.

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I don't particularly like either. Just watching a repeat of 'Escape to the Country' featuring East Devon. Lovely. Bet you can get a great 99 there
weren't you planning a move to manchester?
Old May 30th 2012, 2:33 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
weren't you planning a move to manchester?
Yeah I was. Then some good things happened workwise here so looks like here for a bit longer.
Old May 30th 2012, 4:41 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I like Vancouver and Toronto too. I think at my age and time of life the pace of Vancouver and the West coast in general suits me.
Old May 30th 2012, 3:36 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I like Vancouver and Toronto too. I think at my age and time of life the pace of Vancouver and the West coast in general suits me.
Did you move from somewhere ugly? How do you find the isolation from Paris and what about the lack of black people?
Old May 30th 2012, 3:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Yeah I was. Then some good things happened workwise here so looks like here for a bit longer.
Probably a good thing. Manchester is a bit grim. No summer to speak of in the last 5 years or so.
Old May 30th 2012, 4:27 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boy d
Did you move from somewhere ugly? How do you find the isolation from Paris and what about the lack of black people?
Why not address the points you made above? You could just give your opinion, as I have given mine. I was genuinely interested to visit the place and gave, IMO, a balanced lay person's view based on that visit.

1. Do you find the built environment of the city to be attractive, do you have an appreciation for the architecture there? I found it slightly disappointing and felt that it detracts from the lovely natural environment. My idea was that, if someone was from somewhere with no greenery or water then they would be likely to really appreciate it. I, however, have no problem with the fact that others like the buildings and disagree with my view.

2. Do you feel that the travel time and expense involved to get to Paris (that's my example, but you are welcome to bring forth your own) is a negative point for Vancouver? Or does proximity to Europe not matter? Do you think that travel time and expense is a determining factor for immigrants from the UK? I don't know the answer, but I'd be surprised if being able to get home in an emergency did not have an effect on UK immigrants on the West Coast. Again, I'll not be upset in the slightest if no one else feels this is something worth noting.

3. Ethnic diversity. Here is what I had to say on that (yes, I know, it's lame to quote yourself but the second you mention diversity there'll be a poster tripping over themselves to spit out the word "ghetto" and get all upset).

"If Vancouver is cosmopolitan by West Coast standards then very good, having lived in Toronto I cannot help but compare the two and I found Vancouver much less mixed. Then again, it was a short visit and it's not a competition."

People jumped all over that in their eagerness for a good juicy bully session and an opportunity to out-sarcasm each other. But really, where I lived in Toronto was incredibly mixed. During the short time in Vancouver I noticed less of this, hence the thought that maybe we just hadn't wandered thoroughly enough.

Thinking back, the Skytrain from the airport had no non-white people in our carriage, the staff at 2 restaurants and a breakfast diner were all white as were the staff in a wine store and I'd guess that the staff at the hotel were maybe 50% white and 50% Asian (best guess, without interviewing everyone). I didn't notice too much at the time, but having been told that I am wrong to think this, I have reviewed my memory of the trip and I find this to be at odds with the part of Canada that I am familiar with. Is this a normal summary of the ethnic make up of Vancouver or is this some inexplicable oddity?

People get very uppity about "diversity" but surely it's ok to make an assessment of the mixture of people living in a place? As I said, a comparison with Toronto may not be fair but it's the only one I have. Is it ok to have the view that Vancouver seemed to me to be less ethnically diverse, and if not, why not? Once again, if people think that Vancouver is very diverse, I'm completely accepting of that.
Old May 30th 2012, 4:41 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

For someone who claims to be not taking this seriously, you sure get defensive, Ireland. My impression is you can give it but you can't take it.

Suck it up, buttercup.
Old May 30th 2012, 4:45 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Why not address the points you made above? You could just give your opinion, as I have given mine. I was genuinely interested to visit the place and gave, IMO, a balanced lay person's view based on that visit.

1. Do you find the built environment of the city to be attractive, do you have an appreciation for the architecture there? I found it slightly disappointing and felt that it detracts from the lovely natural environment. My idea was that, if someone was from somewhere with no greenery or water then they would be likely to really appreciate it. I, however, have no problem with the fact that others like the buildings and disagree with my view.

2. Do you feel that the travel time and expense involved to get to Paris (that's my example, but you are welcome to bring forth your own) is a negative point for Vancouver? Or does proximity to Europe not matter? Do you think that travel time and expense is a determining factor for immigrants from the UK? I don't know the answer, but I'd be surprised if being able to get home in an emergency did not have an effect on UK immigrants on the West Coast. Again, I'll not be upset in the slightest if no one else feels this is something worth noting.

3. Ethnic diversity. Here is what I had to say on that (yes, I know, it's lame to quote yourself but the second you mention diversity there'll be a poster tripping over themselves to spit out the word "ghetto" and get all upset).

"If Vancouver is cosmopolitan by West Coast standards then very good, having lived in Toronto I cannot help but compare the two and I found Vancouver much less mixed. Then again, it was a short visit and it's not a competition."

People jumped all over that in their eagerness for a good juicy bully session and an opportunity to out-sarcasm each other. But really, where I lived in Toronto was incredibly mixed. During the short time in Vancouver I noticed less of this, hence the thought that maybe we just hadn't wandered thoroughly enough.

Thinking back, the Skytrain from the airport had no non-white people in our carriage, the staff at 2 restaurants and a breakfast diner were all white as were the staff in a wine store and I'd guess that the staff at the hotel were maybe 50% white and 50% Asian (best guess, without interviewing everyone). I didn't notice too much at the time, but having been told that I am wrong to think this, I have reviewed my memory of the trip and I find this to be at odds with the part of Canada that I am familiar with. Is this a normal summary of the ethnic make up of Vancouver or is this some inexplicable oddity?

People get very uppity about "diversity" but surely it's ok to make an assessment of the mixture of people living in a place? As I said, a comparison with Toronto may not be fair but it's the only one I have. Is it ok to have the view that Vancouver seemed to me to be less ethnically diverse, and if not, why not? Once again, if people think that Vancouver is very diverse, I'm completely accepting of that.
I think something like 40% of the population is of Asian descent (i could be wrong). The rest from British Isles with smaller numbers from elsewhere.

Personally i don't see much cultural diversity. In fact i don't really see much diversity at all with the staple "look" being White or Asian. Culturally most seem to want the big house, big car, comfortable "keep up with the jones" lifestyle. I do notice more older Asian men spit on the streets so maybe that adds to diversity
Old May 30th 2012, 4:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I do notice more older Asian men spit on the streets so maybe that adds to diversity
Curiously, while I didn't see any of this in Vancouver, the last leg of the return flight, from Chicago to Buffalo, was full of spitting, non-English speaking Asian men. Their lack of local language might have mattered but the flight attendant was newly arrived from Liverpool and so hardly better at communicating with the locals.

vij's restaurant seemed a landmark in diversity; Indianish food delivered by an all white staff.
Old May 30th 2012, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

So, it would appear, this debate has descended into a discussion over whether Vancouver has as many brown people as Toronto.

What about brown immigrants from, say, England, how do they affect diversity?

In this day and age, who cares?
Old May 30th 2012, 5:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
So, it would appear, this debate has descended into a discussion over whether Vancouver has as many brown people as Toronto.

What about brown immigrants from, say, England, how do they affect diversity?

In this day and age, who cares?
I suppose I care. Mildly, more than I do about 99s, less than I would about having to drive a hardtop car. I like to be in a place with a range of people and variety of food, I think it makes life more interesting.
Old May 30th 2012, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

shhhh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ireland2canada

oh dear. Time to stop digging I think...

Vancouver to London is 9.5 hours flight, Toronto to London is 7.5 hour flight; along with the time spent in the airports, there's really not much in it, both are a fair way from the UK.

Last edited by shhhh; May 30th 2012 at 5:26 pm.
Old May 30th 2012, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
For someone who claims to be not taking this seriously, you sure get defensive, Ireland. My impression is you can give it but you can't take it.

Suck it up, buttercup.
Your impression is incorrect, but I accept your right to have it. I don't know how you come to the conclusion of "defensive", I thought it might be nice to hear some actual opinions from other posters rather than silly bullying and have asked questions accordingly. I also don't see where I have "given it out". What is "it"? And what can I not "take"? I rarely post on this board anymore as, with many others, I find the overall atmosphere to be unpleasant. If this is not being able to "take it" then ok.

I don't know what your problem is, in general and in particular with anything that I have said, I really don't. You seem to have no substance in any of your replies, yet you seem fully equipped to tell me all about what I think. You don't ask, you just seem to assume. You also seemed to infer that I was being sarcastic, some snide little comment like that earlier in this thread but you were wholly incorrect. I was genuinely interested and asked actual questions...somehow you see this as sarcasm. It's odd behaviour for an adult but a classic example of how people are just mean on the internet.
Old May 30th 2012, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I suppose I care. Mildly, more than I do about 99s, less than I would about having to drive a hardtop car. I like to be in a place with a range of people and variety of food, I think it makes life more interesting.
I thought the posters that lived in Vancouver had indicated the residents of Vancouver are from a range of people. I also believed there is a variety of food. Having never been, I can't really comment.

Please don't come to Calgary during the time of the Stampede. You may leave thinking that Calgary is populated with cowboys and cowgirls and that the only food availabe for Caglarians to eat is pancakes, hotdogs and burgers
Old May 30th 2012, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by shhhh
oh dear. Time to stop digging I think...

Vancouver to London is 9.5 hours flight, Toronto to London is 7.5 hour flight; along with the time spent in the airports, there's really not much in it, both are a fair way from the UK.
Ignoring the initial unecessary sentence...

Thank you for answering. It would seem, then, that the extra time and expense is not a factor worth considering for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.