Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver, don't get it.

Vancouver, don't get it.

Old May 29th 2012, 6:27 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vancouver, don't get it.

Originally Posted by Boy d
you are out to lunch....have you been hanging out with dbd? maybe you too was shocked at no subway on georgia. you wandered around the tourist spots for a few days and now feel you are an authority on the place?

Vancouver, incidentally gets less rain than toronto over the summer months and probably more sunshine, sans the humidity. As for the soviet buidlings, its one area of the city.

Best head back to Guelph.....apparently it suits you and as more to offer than Vancouver.

Anyhow.....dont let the door hit you on the way out
Are you being hugely sarcastic or are you actually upset that I mentioned some things I did not like about Vancouver? That's a genuine question, I find it quite difficult these days to distinguish between posters who are being tongue in cheek, those who are being really passive aggressive and those who are properly upset.

I think you are confusing me with someone else, I have not mentioned subways (in fact, I said that the buses and trains were pleasant). And no where have I said that I am "an authority on Vancouver". If I mentioned either of these items, it will be in writing on this thread. If you can point me to the post number, I'll be happy to look at it.

Why is it so unacceptable to you for someone to visit Vancouver from another part of Canada and to type out their thoughts on that visit? I quite enjoyed the trip and thought I was quite within my right to have an opinion on the place.
Old May 29th 2012, 6:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
have you been hanging out with dbd?
I sincerely hope she has.
Old May 29th 2012, 6:41 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, I am glad to find out that Hastings has come up in the world in the last few years.
Old May 29th 2012, 6:43 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Are you being hugely sarcastic or are you actually upset that I mentioned some things I did not like about Vancouver? That's a genuine question, I find it quite difficult these days to distinguish between posters who are being tongue in cheek, those who are being really passive aggressive and those who are properly upset.

I know what you mean.
Old May 29th 2012, 6:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Anyway, I am glad to find out that Hastings has come up in the world in the last few years.
It's nice, Hastings, castle, cliffs, fish market on the beach, big smokehouses, lovely pubs. Bit of an unwed mother problem but then we don't know how much sprogging there might be in White Rock.

This is us, in Hastings, doing one of those things you can't in Canada.
Attached Thumbnails Vancouver, don't get it.-picture-1100.jpg  
Old May 29th 2012, 6:50 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's nice, Hastings, castle, cliffs, fish market on the beach, big smokehouses, lovely pubs. Bit of an unwed mother problem but then we don't know how much sprogging there might be in White Rock.

Didn't you go to the West End while you were here? Lots of that sort of thing over there.
Old May 29th 2012, 6:52 pm

Did someone say smokehouses?
Attached Thumbnails Vancouver, don't get it.-img_9351.jpg  
Old May 29th 2012, 6:53 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

stop it, you're making me hungry for things i can't have
Old May 29th 2012, 6:56 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I find the mix v cosmo - lots of diff asian couintries, all of India, most of europe- west and eat, ozzie., kiwi, africa north and south ..

Ps I always think Guelph sounds like thwe noise of fart ! Particularly a lady part one ! Dunno why!
Old May 29th 2012, 7:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Didn't you go to the West End while you were here? Lots of that sort of thing over there.
99s? Never seen one in Canada.
Old May 29th 2012, 7:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Ps I always think Guelph sounds like thwe noise of fart ! Particularly a lady part one ! Dunno why!
The why doesn't matter, that'll be stuck in me head forever.
Old May 29th 2012, 7:24 pm

The why doesn't matter, that'll be stuck in me head forever.
It's all that lycra-clad lunging.
Old May 29th 2012, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute

99s? Never seen one in Canada.
If you really think that a legitimate reason for disliking Canada is the lack of 99s flakes... then you seriously need to reconsider your priorities.

One thing you have to remember when looking at moving to Vancouver/Canada is that its NOT England. That's what's good about it.

I don't know why everyone is so obessesed with comparing Vancouver to London and Toronto. Especially given that the reason Vancouver is so good is because its NOT London or Toronto.

Don't get me wrong, I like both cities, but Vancouver offers something different.
Old May 29th 2012, 7:36 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I thought this was/is an interesting discussion. Although there is quite a bit of stating the bleeding obvious. One look at the map will see that Vancouver is perched on the western edge of a rather large continent. Of course its going to be more isolated and be more influenced by Asia.
Is Toronto at the centre of your map???

Just wondering?
Old May 29th 2012, 7:43 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kswoosh;10089314]If you really think that a legitimate reason for disliking Canada is the lack of 99s flakes... then you seriously need to reconsider your priorities.

I was mildly peeved that he did not factor in Sweet Potato Fries

One thing you have to remember when looking at moving to Vancouver/Canada is that its NOT England. That's what's good about it.

When did this happen? Why didn't anyone tell me?

I don't know why everyone is so obessesed with comparing Vancouver to London and Toronto. Especially given that the reason Vancouver is so good is because its NOT London or Toronto.

It is like comparing apples with oranges

Don't get me wrong, I like both cities, but Vancouver offers something different.[/QUOTE] Mountains with real powdery snow!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.