Reload this Page >

Vancouver, don't get it.

Vancouver, don't get it.

Old May 29th 2012, 6:05 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vancouver, don't get it.

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Are you sure? it's a lot easier to see them when they're all grouped together
No matter how hard you try, that's just simply not what I said.
Old May 29th 2012, 6:06 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Thanks for that. Glad to hear they are not ghettos, but then that was never the expectation.

Incidentally, we trundled past White Rock on the train. My immediate thought was "It looks like Hastings!"
I suspect the train was going rather fast at the time.
Anyway both are very charming places in their own right. Although I'd give the nod to Hastings just because of the amenities and being nearer London.
Old May 29th 2012, 6:07 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I suppose we'd just come from Seattle, Seattle has a genuinely mixed population so Vancouver seemed even less diverse than it otherwise would. Still, Vancouver has whites and Asians but most places in North America have whites and Asians. Toronto has other groups too. It just doesn't seem diverse to have a city with, for example, few visible black or Arab people.
For once, I agree. When people talk about Vancouver being a melting pot, what they really mean is a melting pot of Asians & whites. Take a walk down any main street in greater London and you will see a true cosmopolitan city.
Old May 29th 2012, 6:08 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

That's exactly how I would sum it up.

From a tourist perspective, it's a reasonable place to visit, especially if you are into outdoors activities. I liked Stanley Park, Gastown and the little ferries. Kits bored me to death, I had imagined a Vancouver version of The Beach in Toronto. UBC is so far removed from anything I don't know how the students function! The natural setting is very nice but is marred by the ugliness of the city itself. It is a shame to have a wonderful view ruined by some buildings that would not look out of place in Soviet Russia. I liked Capilano Bridge and the surrounding area. It was fun to be on boats. It's not very busy so being on the trains and buses was pleasant and it seems quite safe, we wandered the DTES without being traumatised.

From an immigrant perspective, IMO, it's a no go. I struggle to see how Vancouver is an aspirational place to live for people from the UK. It is isolated globally, that's one long flight to Europe. Housing costs (for the city proper) are appalling value for money. Rental costs did not seem excessive however, I would prefer to choose whether I rent or buy, not to have that decision made for me. Given the relatively small population, I have to wonder how the job market is?

The weather sucks. While we shivered and ducked for cover, Ontario basked in hot sunshine. I came to the non-scientific conclusion that people who move to Vancouver must be from places that are ugly, the natural setting seems to be the best feature of the city. I come from somewhere reasonably pretty, with a daily commute that took in unspoiled greenery on one side and a Lough on the other. So, while I thought Vancouver looked nice, I'm afraid that doesn't cut it. I would want a serious hike in income to persuade me to move there. Even then, I would be very sad to have to carry around an umbrella once again.

Granted a few days is not a lengthy visit, however, it is enough to form an impression of the place and I am not compelled to return to the city itself. I'm glad to have seen it, but for the cost of flights and time spent getting there I could have gone back home. The upshot of the trip was Seattle, a bustling, fun kind of place with excellent Alaskan cod burgers.
but then you live in guelph
Old May 29th 2012, 6:09 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that expressing a view on the differences between two Canadian cites is somewhat of a touchy subject.
Where we choose to live is always better
Old May 29th 2012, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Oink
I suspect the train was going rather fast at the time.
Anyway both are very charming places in their own right. Although I'd give the nod to Hastings just because of the amenities and being nearer London.
I suppose it trundled at a general trundling speed. I think it was all the houses built into the hill. Kind of. And the proximity to water. In any case, it looked like a nice place to check out.
Old May 29th 2012, 6:12 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto.

There have been several swim classes where spawn has been the only caucasian. Her school is pretty mixed too. same with Brownies.
No need to be so overt with your racial undertones. They're 'people of colour', dontcha know.
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

No matter how hard you try, that's just simply not what I said.
Who's trying? I thought this was just a lighthearted piss-take

Originally Posted by Boy d
And you live in Hastings?

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
No need to be so overt with your racial undertones. They're 'people of colour', dontcha know.
And if there's one thing you can say about Brownies, they're visible
Old May 29th 2012, 6:13 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

And if there's one thing you can say about Brownies, they're visible
Only with a light coloured backdrop.
Old May 29th 2012, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Boy d
I like the word Guelph. I like that is has some of the same letters as 'squelch'.

It sounds like something you could step on.
Old May 29th 2012, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H
Only with a light coloured backdrop.
hahaha.
Old May 29th 2012, 6:15 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Guelph is a small town in Wellington County, Ontario. It works for me as Vancouver seemingly works for many.

My post was a personal perspective of Vancouver based on a recent visit, no more and no less, so I don't suppose you are required to understand it.

The comment regarding global isolation is quite simple, it is further to travel to get back home, further to get to Paris, for example.

If Vancouver is cosmopolitan by West Coast standards then very good, having lived in Toronto I cannot help but compare the two and I found Vancouver much less mixed. Then again, it was a short visit and it's not a competition.
you are out to lunch....have you been hanging out with dbd? maybe you too was shocked at no subway on georgia. you wandered around the tourist spots for a few days and now feel you are an authority on the place?

Vancouver, incidentally gets less rain than toronto over the summer months and probably more sunshine, sans the humidity. As for the soviet buidlings, its one area of the city.

Best head back to Guelph.....apparently it suits you and as more to offer than Vancouver.

Anyhow.....dont let the door hit you on the way out
Old May 29th 2012, 6:27 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this was/is an interesting discussion. Although there is quite a bit of stating the bleeding obvious. One look at the map will see that Vancouver is perched on the western edge of a rather large continent. Of course its going to be more isolated and be more influenced by Asia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.