Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver, don't get it.

Vancouver, don't get it.

Old May 29th 2012, 5:35 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver, don't get it.

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Ok, thanks. Just wondered if we missed the intense rainbow of people because we were not in the right neighbourhood.

Forgive me, but aren't those places suburbs of Vancouver, or cities in their own right, or something? Just asking, I'm not bothered to look it up or anything. I did not have time to head to the outer reaches to find the cosmopolis, maybe next time. Incidentally, I had dinner with someone who works for the City of Richmond. She's white but was an overt lesbian so there's a point for diversity.
and when backed into a corner, resort to sarcasm
Old May 29th 2012, 5:35 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I suppose we'd just come from Seattle, Seattle has a genuinely mixed population so Vancouver seemed even less diverse than it otherwise would. Still, Vancouver has whites and Asians but most places in North America have whites and Asians. Toronto has other groups too. It just doesn't seem diverse to have a city with, for example, few visible black or Arab people.
I don't see why its weird, Toronto is nearer to Africa and the Middle East and usually immigrant groups stay at their first stop for a few generations. As for Seattle I fear the amount of black people there has a lot less to do with voluntary immigration.

As for the rest. I think the weather is lovely here. I was talking to some colleagues yesterday who are in NYC and they were all huddled around their air conditioning, scared to go out for a sandwich in case they sweat to death. I'll take cloudy and drizzly over that.
Old May 29th 2012, 5:37 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

What about Moncton ?
Old May 29th 2012, 5:38 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I only wondered f there are ethnic neighbourhoods where people gravitate, similar to Toronto, or if everyone just mixes in together. If it is the former, then I would better understand what I noticed as a visitor.
In answer to this one it is yes and no. There are areas where certain ethnicities are more predominant: Persian in North Vancouver, Punjabi in the Newton district of Surrey, Korean in North Road in Coquitlam. You probably saw the old Chinatown and there is a new Chinatown in north west Richmond. However, non of them are ghettos. The population is not exclusively one ethnicity and people of all ethnicities live all over the place.

Last edited by JonboyE; May 29th 2012 at 5:41 pm.
Old May 29th 2012, 5:39 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
In answer to this one it is yes and no. There are areas where certain ethnicities are more predominant: Persian in North Vancouver, Punjabi in the Newton district of Surrey, Korean in North Road in Coquitlam. You probably saw the old Chinatown and there is a new Chinatown in north west Richmond. However, non of them are ghettos. The population is not exclusively one ethnicity and people all ethnicities live all over the place.
That's true. I guess if you're looking for your segregated Toronto-style ghettos you'd be disappointed.
Old May 29th 2012, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram
What about Moncton ?
It's just better, waaaay better
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
It's just better, waaaay better
What no coupons ? Say it ain't so.

Originally Posted by Oink
I don't see why its weird, Toronto is nearer to Africa and the Middle East and usually immigrant groups stay at their first stop for a few generations. As for Seattle I fear the amount of black people there has a lot less to do with voluntary immigration. As for the rest. I think the weather is lovely here. I was talking to some colleagues yesterday who are in NYC and they were all huddled around their air conditioning, scared to go out for a sandwich in case they sweat to death. I'll take cloudy and drizzly over that.
exactly
Old May 29th 2012, 5:41 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
and when backed into a corner, resort to sarcasm
Eh? Backed into a corner? Maybe I am not taking this all seriously enough, although that was a genuine question about the burbs. Wow, internet chat has become hard work!

It seems that expressing a view on the differences between two Canadian cites is somewhat of a touchy subject.
Old May 29th 2012, 5:48 pm

Eh? Backed into a corner? Maybe I am not taking this all seriously enough, although that was a genuine question about the burbs. Wow, internet chat has become hard work!

It seems that expressing a view on the differences between two Canadian cites is somewhat of a touchy subject.
sure.
Old May 29th 2012, 5:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

She's white but was an overt lesbian so there's a point for diversity.
And from Windsor ON, we should have asked her about Detroit.
Old May 29th 2012, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
In answer to this one it is yes and no. There are areas where certain ethnicities are more predominant: Persian in North Vancouver, Punjabi in the Newton district of Surrey, Korean in North Road in Coquitlam. You probably saw the old Chinatown and there is a new Chinatown in north west Richmond. However, non of them are ghettos. The population is not exclusively one ethnicity and people of all ethnicities live all over the place.
Thanks for that. Glad to hear they are not ghettos, but then that was never the expectation.

Incidentally, we trundled past White Rock on the train. My immediate thought was "It looks like Hastings!"
Old May 29th 2012, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
And from Windsor ON, we should have asked her about Detroit.
I do hope you are treating this subject with the utmost of sincerity.
Old May 29th 2012, 5:59 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Not as many Tim Hortons in Vancouver either......
Old May 29th 2012, 6:00 pm

Thanks for that. Glad to hear they are not ghettos, but then that was never the expectation. Incidentally, we trundled past White Rock on the train. My immediate thought was "It looks like Hastings!"
Are you sure? it's a lot easier to see them when they're all grouped together

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.